Author Topic: FREE alternatives to Netflix?  (Read 5043 times)

Coiny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
FREE alternatives to Netflix?
« on: November 17, 2016, 11:03:21 AM »
My free trial ended, and I'm sad.

What I loved about Netflix is it helped me concentrate on my work. I didn't have to get up every 20 minutes to search for a new video, like I do on Youtube. I could choose a show, sit and work on my project for hours.

Is there anything else? I wish I could afford Netflix or TV, but I can't right now.

Youtube is not ideal because there are too many short videos. I'd rather not autoplay because often I click on a video only to find out the video is bad, boring or annoying.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Re: FREE alternatives to Netflix?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 11:05:34 AM »
Try another free trial? If you like British TV, try Acorn

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 11:55:20 AM »
Hulu's free service is fine - I'm not sure how much of a backlog they keep but you can usually watch most recent shows as long as the episode aired within the past five weeks.

There are actually a lot of full tv show episodes (and some movies!) on youtube. You can also create a queue to watch so you don't have to keep clicking. There are also fictional vlogs (or even real ones I suppose) that are really entertaining. I loved the Lizzie Bennett Diaries, for example.

TrMama

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 11:57:45 AM »
Shush.se

Cycling Stache

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 12:08:57 PM »
My free trial ended, and I'm sad.

Times may be tight, and this is a MMM website, but still, isn't it $8/month for standard definition, one screen?  If you really enjoy it, surely there's $8 in your budget somewhere, right?

We got rid of cable and just have Netflix, and it's great.  I would prefer that we watch less TV, but still, it's an acceptable cost.

If not, you can check out DVDs at many libraries.  For us, that includes both movies and television shows.  Might be a little more of a hassle, but if money is that tight, just deal with it until you get your budget/savings where you want it.

Good luck!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 12:11:26 PM »
I too think that at 8$ a month, Netflix is pretty reasonable for what it is.  Your next cheapest option is to stop watching TV shows entirely.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 12:54:47 PM »
I think Hulu free is decent, or I think hulu is doing a year for $5.99/month right now.  Google it.  Not sure if it ended or not.

You can make a playlist in youtube, I think?  that might help.  requires forethought, but it is an option.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 12:56:45 PM »
bittorrent

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 12:59:59 PM »
Be sure to use services you may already have- ex, if you have amazon prime, the prime video is excellent. Has a bunch of HBO shows and stuff.

Umm, straight to websites work sometimes, like PBS or Comedy Central. Can't really binge seasons like that, but if you change your viewing pattern to be more like standard TV it works out.

Free hulu, as already mentioned, is tolerable. You used to be able to use ad blockers to speed it up, but that doesn't work anymore I don't think.

Lots of british shows are free full episodes on YouTube, like Escape to the Country. There also are full free episodes of Good Eats on there. Look up guides and you can usually find a few shows with full episodes up.

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 01:03:56 PM »
bittorrent

+1

or Putlocker.  Or Project Free TV

But, if you are DRM squeamish, try Hoopla Digital.    Free with most library card memberships.

icemodeled

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 01:49:11 PM »
What about just picking out some TV seasons at the library? We do this constantly to avoid paying for any services. Our library always has the latest seasons plus older ones. I am pretty sure the library here has a free Roku (?) or similar that does streaming you can check out. Maybe see if yours does.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 02:42:35 PM »
Use an antenna. You cannot get cheaper than free OTA TV. Combine that with a plethora of websites that offer free streaming of their shows.

You could also combine with a family member/friend to split Netflix($4 a month).

Maybe game the system for a little while a different e-mail address and get another free trial. Even rotate free trials of different sites for a neverending trial. Say rotate through Netflix, Sling TV, Amazon, Hulu, etc, etc, etc...

Not sure on the logistics there, but you could probably make something work.

BigHaus89

• Stubble
  • Ride the Spiral to the End
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 03:25:23 PM »
Many channels have free apps. Comedy central and Cartoon Network are apps you can download and watch shows for free. They have a few commercials and limited availability of episodes, but it's all free.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 05:24:16 PM »
Sharing works well used to split a netflix account with a few people. Same can be done with most pay channels if someone has cable.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 05:31:35 PM »
Since you're looking for background while you're doing work, why does it have to be TV? What about podcasts instead? Multitude of free apps for that (BeyondPod, PlayerFM, iTunes, etc). NPR has its own app.

Lake161

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 05:43:01 PM »
Popcornflix and Crackle have limited selections but are free.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!