Author Topic: Fox or Coyote  (Read 5880 times)

postvmvs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Fox or Coyote
« on: April 09, 2015, 06:20:44 PM »
I saw this fella in my backyard this morning. Is it a fox or coyote? Location is northern NJ.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
Re: Fox or Coyote
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 06:22:22 PM »
Fox.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 06:24:36 PM »
Haha.. yes red fox.. we have them digging through the trash cans back in the UK.. Thats cus we don't have any racoons i suppose..:)

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 07:22:36 AM »
Fox.

moelac

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 07:38:51 AM »
Fox!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 08:35:13 AM »
That is a red fox. Notice the white-tipped, full, bushy tail.

If you see them move, foxes will glide across the ground with precision and grace. You'll see them in fields pouncing like cats on mice. Foxes are always alone.

Coyotes move like dogs, but they won't bunch up like a dog pack will. Coyotes spread out and move together. If you see a coyote alone, his pack is somewhere nearby. Coyotes deploy decoy dogs to draw in prey. They will invade dog territory to induce them to chase, then the pack will move in for the kill.

We have lots of coyotes and a few foxes here in the Hudson Valley. Lots of folks lose dogs, cats and livestock to the coyotes. Foxes are generally harmless although they do like the free range (ie, free meal) chickens folks grow around here.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 08:58:39 AM »
Cool, I like foxes. Pretty harmless, and I think they're interesting too.

postvmvs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 03:51:40 PM »
Thanks for the unanimous confirmation. I have a few goats, and if it were a coyote I would have concerns!

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 03:52:59 PM »
Foxes are pretty, I wish I could make friends with one and pet him.

Axecleaver, those coyotes' tricks don't work on all dogs.  I knew a guy in north-east WA who had a Great Pyrenees that would regularly bring home dead coyotes. 

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 06:48:12 AM »
That's way too pretty of an animal to be a coyote.

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 10:58:15 AM »
Don't assume your goats can defend themselves from a fox.  We had a family born under the deck of a neighboring empty house a few years back.  I did the research on how they hunt and I will spare you the details, but they are pretty lethal, especially if one of your goats is slower than the rest.
Coyotes, obviously, are a much bigger threat as they hunt in packs.  Don't over worry but be minimize risks as best you can and respond immediately to any ruckus in the yard... strong flashlights and a "noisemaker" by the door.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 11:00:42 AM by Capsu78 »

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 11:16:22 AM »
I've always wanted a domesticated fox as a pet... they look so playful and nice. They aren't cheap though!

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 11:04:42 AM »
Axecleaver, those coyotes' tricks don't work on all dogs.  I knew a guy in north-east WA who had a Great Pyrenees that would regularly bring home dead coyotes.
Roger that! Great Pyrenees are no joke. What makes those dogs so dangerous to predators is their size and willingness to chase in order to guard their territory. They will "sally forth" to chase predators away from their flocks, and are able to catch and kill the bait dogs before they make it back to the pack. I've never heard of those dogs getting caught by coyote packs, I think they're just too big and fast to get caught. Most of the dogs that get lost aren't of the farm guard variety, they're the sub-20 pound lapdog breeds. Someone loses a beagle now and then.

In my area we have a few farms with pairs of Great Pyrenees. Coyotes generally decide it's easier to make a living elsewhere. There are a few sheep flocks with solo guard llamas. They look funny, but are also efficient killers who bond strongly with their protected flocks.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 11:11:19 AM »
But what did it say?

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 12:26:03 PM »
But what did it say?

Damn it you beat me to it!!