Author Topic: Found a Costco card  (Read 15353 times)

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
Found a Costco card
« on: September 11, 2014, 11:59:49 AM »
So, I found a Costco Gold card on the ground. I have attempted to return it to the owner with no luck.

Curiosity has gotten the better of me and im wondering if I could just use it? There is someone else's pictures and its pretty damn obvious its not my name. Plus its no skin off the owners back.

I have never been to a Costco before so my question is whether or not the protocol involved with shopping there and checking out would prevent me from using this found card.

I am also open to be convinced its unethical.

enigmaT120

• Bristles
Re: Found a Costco card
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 12:27:06 PM »
It would be really easy to walk in, as they don't check the pictures when you go in.  I don't know if they do when you buy stuff with cash, though I use their credit card as my membership card.  They would use the card you have even if you pay cash, I just don't know how closely they examine it. 

It would be an easy way to check out the store and see if you like it, then just walk around the registers and out when your done with your tour.  You'll even be walking out by the membership services desk where you can turn in the card and they'll return it to it's owner, if he or she doesn't already have a replacement.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 12:29:12 PM »
When you go in you flash your Costco card at the entrance.  No one would notice that it's not you.

When you check out you give the card to the checker.  Checker might or might not notice that it's not you.  You definitely couldn't write a check or use a credit card.  Cash or maybe an debit card.

And yes, it is definitely unethical (and maybe illegal) to use!

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 12:29:40 PM »
You could not check out with it - the card gets swiped at the checkout.

You could take the card you found to the service desk, return it as a good deed, and then ask for a one-day pass. You're not out anything if they say no.

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 12:33:15 PM »
Whenever I go through the checkout line, the cashier checks my membership card and will see my name and picture there. I assume s/he checks to make sure I look like the person on the card.

I can understand if you want to take a tour to see if a membership is worth it. But I would return it to the Customer Service desk on the way out if I were you.

RichLife

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 12:45:47 PM »
I'd return it and ask if you could get a tour as you are really interested but aren't fully sure yet if it will be worth your while. Safest that way plus I'm sure they'd be interested in doing something extra for an honest person who might become a member.

If not and you were to use it, could you perhaps at checkout say you are borrowing the card of a family member to do their shopping for them as they are indisposed? Still, may be awkward if you want to honestly return the card later.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 12:48:17 PM »
If you want to check it out, state that you are there to buy liquor/beer.  They will let you in without a card. 

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 01:55:09 PM »
They won't let me use my parents card to purchase items.

But, I can use self check out and I'm good.

One time I went with my father and I wanted to pay for his items, just to be nice (truly not items for me), and the cashier said I couldn't pay for someone else's items.

I know that's not true because one time at Costco in Toronto I paid for my grandmother's groceries. The cashier had no problems with it.

That being said, I wouldn't use someone else's card just because it seems immoral to me. I liked the ideas about turning it in and asking for a day pass since you are a nice guy.

Also, if you just want to check it out--- just say you are going to customer service or to get pizza and then walk around and look at stuff. You won't be able to buy anything but you can see what it's all about.

caseyzee

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 02:40:11 PM »
I don't know if I would use it, but I think you definitely could use it.

When I was cleaning out my wallet a few months back, I found that my costco card wasn't actually mine at all, but some other woman's.  I'm guessing they got mixed up at the cash register.  I have no idea how long I used her card and vice versa.

That said, Costco will refund your membership if you're not satisfied.  So you could get a membership, check it out, and cancel if you don't like it.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 02:46:34 PM »
If you want to check it out, state that you are there to buy liquor/beer.  They will let you in without a card.

+1. In Richmond there was a very good deal for a Costco membership on Living Social that practically paid for itself, have no idea if it was local or nationwide. Regardless, you can tour the place and buy alcohol there without a membership.

I can't say enough good things about Costco.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 02:53:04 PM »
Had lunch in a shopping center across the street from Costco with a friend last year and we found a card on the sidewalk in the outside eating area.  No one was around to claim it so we drove across the street and I circled the lot while my friend turned the card in at the membership desk.  Parking space?  At Costco?  You gotta be kidding.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 02:58:15 PM »
It's possible that the member has already realized that the card is lost and reported it.  Very embarrassing if you try to use it and it comes up cancelled.

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 05:02:33 PM »
It's possible that the member has already realized that the card is lost and reported it.  Very embarrassing if you try to use it and it comes up cancelled.

I would hope so considering i found her on facebook and sent her a message.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 05:07:31 PM »
Why would you buy alcohol at Costco?

Maybe my area has unusually cheap liquor stores, but Costco's booze is spendy even for identical items.

Costco will let you look around without a membership but mine definitely compares photos on the card with whoevers using it.

SummerLovin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 05:08:40 PM »
Turn it in to the customer service center, while there tell them you've never been to the store and ask for a day pass.
It is not your card, is unethical for you to use it, and not worth the embarrassment if it is noticed. Not likely, but possible. How would you feel if someone used a card of yours, even if there was no monetary impact to you?

Mega

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 05:43:13 AM »
I saw someone refused checkout because they were using someone else's card. So you will get caught.

astvilla

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 06:45:23 AM »
I don't think many know this but there is a way to get into a Costco without a membership card. Just say you are there to use the pharmacy. By law, you cannot prohibit someone from seeking healthcare like pharmacy services by using a membership card. Imagine if it's like an emergency. Will you say to someone, hey can't see the pharmacist because you don't have membership? Technically illegal and unethical since pharmacies are open to the public to provide counseling and advice without needing some type of insurance. (getting medicine is an entirely different matter). I actually tried it once and got in so I could look at some prices and compare. I don't know much about buying but I guess I could use cash or another card to buy. Though they might catch on to you who knows.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 06:51:44 AM »
Why would you buy alcohol at Costco?

Maybe my area has unusually cheap liquor stores, but Costco's booze is spendy even for identical items.

Costco will let you look around without a membership but mine definitely compares photos on the card with whoevers using it.

In Richmond I have found alcohol to be cheaper at Costco. Not a whole lot, but less all the same. Down side is having to buy beer by the case, not so great if you like variety. Yuengling was $16.25 a case last time I was there. More like $18, on sale, at grocery stores.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 07:16:06 AM »
I don't think many know this but there is a way to get into a Costco without a membership card. Just say you are there to use the pharmacy. By law, you cannot prohibit someone from seeking healthcare like pharmacy services by using a membership card. Imagine if it's like an emergency. Will you say to someone, hey can't see the pharmacist because you don't have membership? Technically illegal and unethical since pharmacies are open to the public to provide counseling and advice without needing some type of insurance. (getting medicine is an entirely different matter). I actually tried it once and got in so I could look at some prices and compare. I don't know much about buying but I guess I could use cash or another card to buy. Though they might catch on to you who knows.

All I did was ask nicely: "I'm thinking of joining, but can I look around first?" They said no problem. No need to overcomplicate.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 07:32:07 AM »

All I did was ask nicely: "I'm thinking of joining, but can I look around first?" They said no problem. No need to overcomplicate.
That's how I've always handled it - go in about once every 2 months.  Usually conclude they don't have anything I want, and certainly not at the quantities available for most things. 

Here's a semi-related question to the original - my wife takes her disabled friend shopping from time to time, and one of the stops is at Costco.  Wife usually picks up a few things for us while there using her friend's membership.  They check out separately and openly, so seems this is OK, but is it ethical?  Should we have our own membership?

ginklord

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 07:42:00 AM »
I am also open to be convinced its unethical.

I think that Costco owns the card. A card by itself doesn't grant the privilege of shopping in their club - rather, it's a tool issued to validate membership. I recommend returning it to their customer service desk.

Shopping at their Club by pretending to be a member is lying, in my opinion.

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 09:00:28 AM »
Hey, Im the OP.

I returned the card and bought the current living social to join costco and got the $20 card + $30 free coupons + free Rotisserie chicken + free apple pie + free 30 pack of toilet paper.

If anyone isnt a member and wants that deal here is my referral:
https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/1197846-costco-membership-bonus-20-cash-card-coupons?ref=share-undefined-copy_box-web-deals&rui=38487021&rpi=172939156

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 09:14:32 AM »
Hey, Im the OP.

I returned the card and bought the current living social to join costco and got the $20 card + $30 free coupons + free Rotisserie chicken + free apple pie + free 30 pack of toilet paper.

If anyone isnt a member and wants that deal here is my referral:
https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/1197846-costco-membership-bonus-20-cash-card-coupons?ref=share-undefined-copy_box-web-deals&rui=38487021&rpi=172939156
I think the chicken, apple pie, and TP are the $30 worth of coupons.  Anyway, thanks for the link - figure the net cost is about $15 for the membership, based on the fact we do buy a rotisserie chicken at Publix from time to time and the TP (apple pie is not something we would normally buy, but is a nice bonus) going to run this by my wife tonight - hosting a party tomorrow, and we need some supplies (beer, meat, buns), that are cheaper there than our other sources.

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 09:26:23 AM »
I think you might be right.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 09:30:37 AM by windypig »

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 09:33:41 AM »
Costco card has a very old picture of me in which I have long long hair and a beard.  Almost every time I go in I'm at least asked if it's me; more than once I've had to show ID.
One time when asked if it was me I told the cashier, "no but he doesn't mind if I use his card."  The cashier continued ringing me up but told me to bring the carholder with me in the future.  I laughed and confessed it was me.

I did see a girl get denied at the register for trying to use someone else's card.  She became pretty displeased but I think Costco is clear on this; the card holder needs to be present at time of purchase.  They don't seem to care who pays though.

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 06:42:40 PM »
We went back tonight and my GF was able to get a card on my account. They took my word for it she lives with me (she does). Anybody know how many cards/people can be issued per paid account?

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 08:42:28 PM »
We went back tonight and my GF was able to get a card on my account. They took my word for it she lives with me (she does). Anybody know how many cards/people can be issued per paid account?

Typically 2 cards per account, notionally for the same household. My wife and I have different last names, each have a card on the same account and it has never been an issue.

Whether the cashier checks depends on the location. Our old location never checked. The new location (MUCH closer now that it is open) - checks pretty closely.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2014, 07:08:58 AM »
You can go into any Costco and even purchase items without a membership, they tack on a 5 or 8% surcharge.

Also without a membership you can go to the pharmacy it buy alcohol, it had to do with laws that govern those bodies not anything about Costco

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2014, 07:31:03 AM »
I would turn the card in to Costco customer service.  It's the right thing to do

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!