Author Topic: For travelling mustachians. Does anyone use a nationwide gym just for showers?  (Read 4823 times)

StartingEarly

• Bristles
I was wondering how well that would work. I have been thinking of travelling around by motorcycle and it would be nice to have a place to get cleaned up.

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
I'm home on the ranch now, but know full time RV peeps that do that.

Although most RV parks will let you just buy a shower if you want to. And most gyms have a day rate.

And things like YMCAs have a day rate that's super low.

And if things are really desperate...you can sneak into hospital showers pretty easy. Just saying.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Sounds like an ideal plan to me if you're traveling by motorcycle and will be tent camping most of the time.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
Truck stops often have showers that you can pay for.

msministache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I used couple times showers in Planet Fitness (gym that i already belong to) while traveling east coast to west coast and back. Will def do it again if I have to.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
One of the reasons I joined Planet Fitness (besides them being fairly inexpensive and close to me) is the ability to use them nation-wide for showers and yeah, workouts.  The hydro massage bed it definitely a benne as well.

I think most truckstops are $6-10/shower.  So, the $20/mo for the gym membership can be a bargain if you travel a lot.  No serious cancellation fee, either, if you want to drop it after you finish traveling.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache

And if things are really desperate...you can sneak into hospital showers pretty easy. Just saying.

I hope you're joking.

This will get you arrested at my hospital.... or the very least an extremely unpleasant visit from security.

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
Planet fitness would be a good candidate. Not fond of the gym but very cheap and probably about the most locations you will find. Another option is often rest stops have them, as well as truck stops (as mentioned).

Depending what time of year and where you're at, a clean lake or stream would probably be fine. If you're camping many campgrounds also have showers.

You have a lot of options, the concern with gym is price, as many are $50/mo except planet fitness.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
My wife and I are also planning the same, not on a motorcycle but in a micro-van (Mitsubishi Delica) and having access to shower and laundry facilities is one essential component if I want to have my wife fully on board. A few things we are considering while on the road, and that may also interest you, are house-sitting gigs (trustedhousesitters), helpx, and wwoofing.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
I've been looking at couch surfing a little. I would have a place to stay as well then. The shower thing was mainly if I was taking a day trip and felt really sticky, but I would probably be in the same clothes anyways, so it doesn't seem worth it.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
I have heard of folks who shower with their clothes, washing them at the same time.  Would depend on how quickly your clothes dry for how comfortable it would be.  The primary story was from an older, at the time, male co-worker who said he hitch hiked around Europe (would have been late 60's, early 70's) and showered with his suit.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!