Author Topic: For the Ladies: Help with Reusable Cloth Lady Pads  (Read 7266 times)

SerenaDarrin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
For the Ladies: Help with Reusable Cloth Lady Pads
« on: February 24, 2019, 08:42:44 PM »
So for anyone who's uncomfortable talking about menstruation, and other grossness, please, this is not the thread for you. :)

-
-
-
-
-

Ok.  So I've been using washable cloth menstrual pads for -years-, well before I even found out about any of this frugal stuff.   They've been an absolute Godsend for me! 

However, I messed up, and left them soaking longer then I should have.  (I went away for the weekend and forgot that I'd left them soaking.  Total stupid moment, I freely admit)

Anyway, the result when I came back was. . . less then desirable.  They are now quite stained, with a smell that hasn't completely come out upon washing.    I've treated them with a stain-remover bar, then run them through a cold-water wash and hung them up to dry.  While the smell and stain is much less, it's still there.

Any suggestions?  I don't want to have to go buy/make a new set of pads if I can salvage these ones.  I don't care if they're stained, but I would like them to actually come clean.  I shouldn't bleach them, as that can damage the absorbent cores and make them less absorbent.

So, I bow to those with more knowledge of laundry then me.  Can these be saved?

** please note that a menstrual cup is not an option for me.  I wish it were.  But I have some medical stuff that makes that pretty near impossible.  So I'd really like to salvage these, if I can.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
Re: For the Ladies: Help with Reusable Cloth Lady Pads
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 09:28:23 PM »
Sorry I am of little help.  I would just try what you have already done again.  Maybe hang dry them in bright sunlight for a while  and the UV might kill whatever is left. (But I really don't know.)

I am mainly PTF as I have considered buying some but haven't yet. Even liners would probably be enough for me.

Also, a stain remover bar!!! What brand? That sounds cool. 

SerenaDarrin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 09:34:34 PM »
Yeah, I'm going to try running them through the wash again, see what happens.  And I can try hanging them up in the sun, see what that does.

Also, a stain remover bar!!! What brand? That sounds cool.

I got it a while ago from a seller on Etsy, who did low packaging laundry stuff made, in part, with soap nuts.

Sadly, that Etsy shop has since shut down. :( I'm actually rather annoyed, it's the best stain-remover bar I've ever used, but yeah, it looks like they're out of business now.  I'm glad I bought two of them, but I'll have to go hunting once I use them up.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 09:43:42 PM »
Try washing soda.   It is pretty terrific at this sort of problem.  Or Hydrogen Peroxide, which oxidizes any organic residues.

I actually make "soaker" pads that fit inside mine, for these I ended up just tri-folding the cotton zorb material, so that it opens up to single layers and is much, much easier to wash clean (and faster to dry).

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 09:48:22 PM »
I would try soaking them in vinegar, or baking soda.

SerenaDarrin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 09:59:00 PM »
OOh, thank you for the Hydrogen Peroxide suggestion.  I do have some on hand, I'll give that a try!

SerenaDarrin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 09:59:45 PM »
Hmm, I do also have vinegar on hand.

Both are worth a try.  Thank you! :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 02:25:40 AM »
I had no idea this could happen. I soak mine in a bucket of cold water with some salt, because I read that would be useful. Then I take them out, squeeze and sometimes rinse under the tap, and then I throw them in the washing machine, where they stay with the machine door open until I do a wash.

They get clean as far as I can see and they have no smells. I bought mine in China, on Aliexpress. The pads have a dark grey cover, which is much better against seeing stains than white one.

Once I was away from home a couple of days, in a place without running water. There I packed my used pads in a waterproof pouch (also from Ali). They were there for about 4 days. When home, I soaked them overnight and washed them the next day and this went fine.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 06:43:44 AM »
I'd second laying them out in the sun.  It works REALLY well to get rid of stains and smells in cloth diapers, so hopefully it will work for your pads as well.

SerenaDarrin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 08:58:56 AM »
Thanks for all the help, folks! 

I'll try the hydrogen peroxide, and then running them through a second wash and putting them out in the sun and see what happens.  (though, given the temperatures outside right now, they might freeze-dry on the balcony first! :D  Which I would also be ok with!)

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 10:50:53 AM »
I'm past menopause and never used reusable pads so I have nothing construct to add.  I do find it interesting that while (some) Western women as moving back to reusable pads, in the third world disposable products are improving women's lives and educational opportunities.

See the Oscar winning short documentary: Period. End of Sentence.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 11:13:21 AM »
OP, not much concrete to add, but I have similar problems with my Thinx sometimes. One thing to maybe consider: stains and smells are separate problems. Stains are from pigments, which must be broken down and washed out or bleached* to restore coloring. Smells are from bacteria that must be killed (heat, certain chemicals, etc). I would worry more about smell, personally, since no one sees the pad. But if it gross you out, I also totally understand. In that case treat the stain first, since heat can set it...
I'm past menopause and never used reusable pads so I have nothing construct to add.  I do find it interesting that while (some) Western women as moving back to reusable pads, in the third world disposable products are improving women's lives and educational opportunities.

See the Oscar winning short documentary: Period. End of Sentence.
These are not in opposition. Reusable products require safe places to wash, dry, and sterilize. They are also more expensive up front. I go to disposable products when I'm traveling (or just stressed), because I don't want to hang up my thinx for all to see, or boil my cup in someone else's kitchen! And that's just because it seems rude; in developing regions, such an act could invite violence...

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 12:20:32 PM »
Big fan of Party In My Pants pads, here. After I learned that picking tampons out of landfills is a job, well, that decided it. Staying on topic, just chiming in to say: +1 to sunlight (I line dry my laundry whenever possible so that takes care of it), peroxide, and washing soda. All have worked well for me. Good luck!

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 01:08:55 PM »
No experience with the pads, but when I used reusable diapers, I added an enzyme cleaner to get out smells.  The one I used was called BioKleen Bac-Out.  Worked like a charm.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 01:59:23 PM »
I've never used reusable pads but have always had good luck using Fels Naptha soap for blood stains.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2019, 03:34:26 PM »
I don't care about stains, and have found washing in hot water works well.

I'm not sure what your absorbent core is. Mine are 100% cotton so I don't stress about how I wash/dry.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 06:08:38 PM »
People have lots of good ideas! Another is to google "how to strip cloth diapers." Anything appropriate for synthetic diapers would probably work for synthetic pads! I vaguely remember using plain blue Dawn (not extra strength, the kind from

I actually hate reusable pads :-). I'm a Thinx girl now even though they are like 43 times more expensive. And cup.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 06:11:38 PM »
I've never used reusable pads but have always had good luck using Fels Naptha soap for blood stains.

I'll second the Fels Naptha soap.  Has gotten out every stain I've every had.

SerenaDarrin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 06:20:17 PM »
One thing to maybe consider: stains and smells are separate problems. Stains are from pigments, which must be broken down and washed out or bleached* to restore coloring. Smells are from bacteria that must be killed (heat, certain chemicals, etc). I would worry more about smell, personally, since no one sees the pad. But if it gross you out, I also totally understand.

Yes.  I don't particularly care if they're stained, but since they still smell, I'm worried that they didn't come clean enough and there's still something nasty in there.   The smell is fading, now that I got them out of the (gross) soaking water, but it's still noticeable.

I'm just waiting for a big enough load of rags and such, along with the rest of my pads (the once I didn't leave too long!), so I can try the peroxide soak, plus another wash, plus sun-drying.

(I'm in an apartment and we don't have in-suite laundry, so I refuse to do small loads, because the laundry is expensive. :( )

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2019, 09:08:15 PM »
I’m learning lots here. I’ve debated Thinx vs reusable liners. Any thoughts?

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 04:42:51 AM »
I use both a menstrual cup and menstrual underwear. When they get stained I use fels naptha soap. If that doesn't work I then use denture tablets. It's a hidden gem of a solution. Hot water in a cup and then add 2 denture tablets and leave overnight. It has taken out every stain and smell!

Peachtea

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 07:15:49 AM »
I don’t use cloth pads, but I use soapnuts for regular laundry and some clothes like work out clothes require more attention because the soapnuts don’t always get the job done for heavy stained/odor clothes. So these are my go-to laundry boosters for stains and odors:

Hydrogen peroxide + baking soda = whitener
Baking soda = getting rid of bacteria and odors
Vinegar = getting rid of odors (and mildew, not sure about bacteria) It’s also a fabric softener...ish.

Don’t combine baking soda and vinegar in the load or soaking because they negate each other.

I would hand wash your pads in the bathroom sink with 4 tablespoons of baking soda in the water, then let it sit for a little bit (20-30 min). Drain and repeat if water was really gross. Then fill up sink with water and dump white vinegar in (1/4 - 1/2 cup), soak pads for another 20-0 min. Rinse. Depending on how comfortable you are with your rinsing skills you could then air dry or wash like normal. If you want to get rid if any remaining stains use dawn dish soap as a pretreater, it works great on blood stains.

lilactree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 08:45:18 AM »
Leaving garments outside when it’s really cold out can also help with odors; I don’t know if it could impact absorption.

lisa333

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2019, 06:15:33 AM »
This might be extreme for some but I take birth control pills and skip the placebo pills to avoid getting periods altogether. I haven't had a period in years and insurance covers my birth control pills so I really spend nothing on menstruation at this point.
It's very freeing to never have to worry about buying pads or tampons.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2019, 07:54:41 AM »
This might be extreme for some but I take birth control pills and skip the placebo pills to avoid getting periods altogether. I haven't had a period in years and insurance covers my birth control pills so I really spend nothing on menstruation at this point.

Don't you get any small, random bleedings from time to time? I heard that that could be the case and I would consider that even more inconvenient than the normal periods.

I use my birth control pills 2 after each other, so a period only once every 7 weeks. If I could skip the periods all together, it would be even better. I pay for them personally.

retiredat58

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2019, 05:13:29 PM »
I took oxi clean, brought it to a boil, then added the pads. Turned it off, let them sit for an hour, then added them to the wash. Took out the stains.

Annie101

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2019, 06:03:13 PM »

Don't you get any small, random bleedings from time to time? I heard that that could be the case and I would consider that even more inconvenient than the normal periods.

I use my birth control pills 2 after each other, so a period only once every 7 weeks. If I could skip the periods all together, it would be even better. I pay for them personally.

I have an IUD, which also can eliminate periods.  It did for me! 

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2019, 09:24:00 AM »

I never got breakthrough bleeding with this system, although I think I did get my period every 3rd or 4th cycle. Hard to work it with one's insurance, though.

I took oxi clean, brought it to a boil, then added the pads. Turned it off, let them sit for an hour, then added them to the wash. Took out the stains.

This also works for dingy kitchen towels!

Polaria

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2019, 10:38:33 AM »

Works like a charm for me as well. No bleeding for the last four years.

Something not that widely known is that periods on the pill are not really periods, but bleeding due to hormone withdrawal.

Apparently the inventors of the pill thought women would miss having their periods and designed these artificial ones. To that I can only say “WTF were they thinking?!”.

Edit to say something totally random; maybe you could try to freeze your pads to get rid of the smell? I read about that for jeans, who knows? Maybe that works.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 10:45:14 AM by Polaria »

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2019, 01:18:17 PM »
My doctor prescribed me continuous birth control about 10 years ago and it was just a matter of finding the right hormone level to prevent "breakthrough" bleeding.

It does have the risks associated with synthetic hormones but for me not having absolutely debilitating symptoms every month was worth the risk. I'm now off hormonal BC due to my blood pressure creeping slowly upward as I've aged (which corrected after 3 months off the pill). But man, was it lovely not having to think about it ever, and also knowing I was never ovulating.

Peachtea

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2019, 07:11:47 PM »
I was also on continuous hormonal BC that prevented periods. I didn’t have any problem with break through for first few years then had to have dosage increased every couple years to prevent it. After 8 years, my new doctor was uncomfortable with my high dosage and dropped me back down. I had many breakthroughs again, which sucked, but I’d rather have break throughs than normal periods any day, because they’re lighter and shorter. I never had a regulated period anyways, so it was always a surprise.

The following year I was annoyed with break throughs and at doctors urging switched to an IUD. That was life changing! First, 10 lbs just slowly melted off so while I had attributed stress of school and poor student eating to weight gain I really think the hormones were part of it. Second, no more periods again and only very light breakthroughs when stressed. Finally, it is amazing not to worry about taking a pill every day. Sometimes when leaving for work in a rush, I’ll still panic as locking up “did I remember to take my pill” and then be very relieved remembering I don’t have one anymore. This is three years later...lol

I used to buy liners for my break throughs, because they were so light I didn’t even need a normal pad. Then I realized I don’t even need that. Rinsing with cold water before throwing in hamper gets the blood out and there’s never enough to bleed through my underwear.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2019, 12:28:24 AM »
My doctor prescribed me continuous birth control about 10 years ago and it was just a matter of finding the right hormone level to prevent "breakthrough" bleeding.

It does have the risks associated with synthetic hormones but for me not having absolutely debilitating symptoms every month was worth the risk. I'm now off hormonal BC due to my blood pressure creeping slowly upward as I've aged (which corrected after 3 months off the pill). But man, was it lovely not having to think about it ever, and also knowing I was never ovulating.

I also have slightly higher blood pressure than I should have. I thought it was due to stress. But I am using a BC pill with extra high dosis and ai am wondering whether that plays a role. This pill is primarily a medicine against problematic skin. I get deeply unhappy with my skin when I don't use it. I hope that my hormone level will be changed when I reach 50ish/menopause and that I will be able to quit this pill.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2019, 01:54:25 PM »

I also have slightly higher blood pressure than I should have. I thought it was due to stress. But I am using a BC pill with extra high dosis and ai am wondering whether that plays a role. This pill is primarily a medicine against problematic skin. I get deeply unhappy with my skin when I don't use it. I hope that my hormone level will be changed when I reach 50ish/menopause and that I will be able to quit this pill.

My blood pressure went right down when I stopped taking the pill. I also stopped experiencing mood swings and debilitating headaches, which I hadn't quite realized were due to the meds.

If I didn't have a bad history with IUDs (Paragard), and I were in the market for long-term birth control, I would definitely try a low-dose hormonal IUD. These days they are also a good choice for girls. There are special small ones for young women who've never been pregnant.

SerenaDarrin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2019, 08:45:30 PM »
Updating to say, I salvaged them!  A good rinse out (again), a stain treatment,  a heavy wash, and a line-dry, and they seem to have come clean (no noticeable smell, and the stains are mostly gone!)

Thanks folks!

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2019, 09:28:44 AM »
I just bought & will try both

https://lotusliners.com

&

https://lunapads.ca

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2019, 01:27:51 PM »
I just bought & will try both

https://lotusliners.com

&

https://lunapads.ca

Oooh, Lunapads are my favorite. Well, I don't wear pads anymore because I got addicted to Thinx, but back when I did, they were my favorite. You can use a tiny gold safety pin to attach them more firmly to your underwear so they don't flip over while in use.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2019, 02:17:16 PM »
Can someone explain Thinx to me? How do you change them during the day? Or do you still use a pad with them?

I've been pregnant for most of the past 3 years, so no period, and then after 5-6 weeks of bleeding I get another year without it...

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2019, 02:47:42 PM »
Can someone explain Thinx to me? How do you change them during the day? Or do you still use a pad with them?

I've been pregnant for most of the past 3 years, so no period, and then after 5-6 weeks of bleeding I get another year without it...

I don't change them during the day. I use them with a cup on heavy days and solo on medium-to-light days. They hold 2 tampons, so I don't need to change on mediumish days.

I also have some off-brand backup-only period panties that I wear either if I am still wearing my cup but it's only a medium day, or solo on light/spotting days. I got them on an Etsy closeout for $5 a pair.

For people who are just a hard no on cups, Luna brand undies (and possibly others, that's just what came to mind) have pads that you can swap out throughout the day on your heavier days while still avoiding having to use a tiny safety pin. I haven't tried them but it seems like it would be a more integrated feel than cloth pads. Not that there's anything wrong with cloth pads if you're happy with them! I would take them over disposables any day, if those were the two choices.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2019, 03:20:49 PM »
For another time: I do not know the materials these are made of, but a lot of stuff (like wool) can handle boiling hot temperatures, as long as you let it slowly heat and slowly cool in the water, and don't stir it. It won't work if this is some sort of polyester or plastics, but natural fabrics will handle it well. Alternatively, freezing will kill most bacteria.

lisa333

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2019, 05:11:04 PM »
I had breakthrough bleeding for the first couple months after I switched to continuous BC but then it went away entirely. I wear white pants any day of the year now without fear!

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2019, 11:12:30 AM »
I used to use a cup but had some irritation. I tried some off brand period underwear and it was LIFECHANGING. No leaks, no worries. Did not change them during the day at work, would change them when i got home. I just got some for my DD and she loves them too!

To get rid of stains, I use denture tablets and let them soak overnight!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N8QEM1Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2019, 12:46:07 PM »
For another time: I do not know the materials these are made of, but a lot of stuff (like wool) can handle boiling hot temperatures, as long as you let it slowly heat and slowly cool in the water, and don't stir it. It won't work if this is some sort of polyester or plastics, but natural fabrics will handle it well. Alternatively, freezing will kill most bacteria.

I think Lunapads are cotton fleece so heat should be fine.

I usually soak mine with a bit of Oxyclean.

Hapenny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2019, 10:05:19 PM »
I’m late to this party but I browsed through the comments and I can’t believe no one mentioned menstrual cups!! They are amazing!! It’s a silicone cup that captures everything, you pull it out and rinse (or wipe it out with toilet paper if you are in a public bathroom stall and don’t want to rinse in the sink) and reinsert. You can reuse for decades. Game changer. 

https://www.amazon.com/ospublishing/story/fe1fdae2-4a3c-4440-931e-ed6d70a71366/ref=sxin_2_osp20-fe1fdae2_cov?pd_rd_w=CL5aT&pf_rd_p=c501273b-119a-4fc9-ad78-eda5006b0be9&pf_rd_r=52HN99ZMRZSBSGJXYX4M&pd_rd_r=2d8f6230-cd75-4ffe-a5e0-da0f190d8f43&pd_rd_wg=xfT0H&cv_ct_wn=osp-search&cv_ct_pg=search&linkCode=oas&ascsubtag=bestcont06-20&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osp.fe1fdae2-4a3c-4440-931e-ed6d70a71366&qid=1560312125

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2019, 12:17:01 AM »
I’m late to this party but I browsed through the comments and I can’t believe no one mentioned menstrual cups!! They are amazing!! It’s a silicone cup that captures everything, you pull it out and rinse (or wipe it out with toilet paper if you are in a public bathroom stall and don’t want to rinse in the sink) and reinsert. You can reuse for decades. Game changer. 

https://www.amazon.com/ospublishing/story/fe1fdae2-4a3c-4440-931e-ed6d70a71366/ref=sxin_2_osp20-fe1fdae2_cov?pd_rd_w=CL5aT&pf_rd_p=c501273b-119a-4fc9-ad78-eda5006b0be9&pf_rd_r=52HN99ZMRZSBSGJXYX4M&pd_rd_r=2d8f6230-cd75-4ffe-a5e0-da0f190d8f43&pd_rd_wg=xfT0H&cv_ct_wn=osp-search&cv_ct_pg=search&linkCode=oas&ascsubtag=bestcont06-20&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osp.fe1fdae2-4a3c-4440-931e-ed6d70a71366&qid=1560312125

Because the first post said cup was not an option

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2019, 02:30:04 PM »
I think I might be lighter than average, but I found if I know I will have access to a bathroom every couple hours, I've gotten by with washcloths.  TMI, but I fold them triangular and then tuck the long end in my butt crack so you can't see the lines under my clothes.   Purchase in a darker color so they don't look so gross/stained.  Then just wash as normal.   You can sort of feel when it's time to go to the bathroom.  I drink extra liquid - water, tea at this time which helps.  It just feels so good not to have any form of chemicals down there.  And this is way cheap - you can get a pack of a dozen for less than $10 and that will last for years.