Author Topic: For renters...how much do you spend on laundry?  (Read 41246 times)

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
For renters...how much do you spend on laundry?
« on: November 23, 2014, 09:12:04 PM »
I moved to a new apartment a few months ago and am now just realizing how good I used to have it in the laundry department.

My old apartment had washers and dryers that cost $1 each.  I usually spent about $12 a month on washer/dryer and thought that was pretty good.

Fast forward to my new apartment which has no washer and dryer (well it does...but there is 1 washer and dryer for 12 units so I choose to go to the laundromat.)

I've spent $50 this month just on washing my cloths!  What do other mustachians who rent do?  What's the going rate where you are?

I usually use the big washers ($5.50/load) and the dryers are $0.50 per 9 minutes...

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
Re: For renters...how much do you spend on laundry?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 09:15:55 PM »
Our building charges $1 per wash, an we hang everything to dry. We do 5-6 loads a month, and split the cost between us.

We used to have a portable washing machine that hooked up to the kitchen sink in our last apartment. You can pick one up for a few hundred. Not worth it for us anymore given how cheap our building is, but it might work for you.

Edit: There are two of us.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 09:31:26 PM by Zikoris »

madmax

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 09:24:57 PM »
$20 a month for the two of us and one kid

surfhb

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 09:30:41 PM »
I wash clothes once a week

$8 a month

Line drying saves some

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 09:42:53 PM »
I do wash every 2-3 weeks.  1 big load is composed of 2 sets of sheets and about 4 towels.  $5.50 to was and $2 to dry. 1 big load of all my colors, $5.50 to wash $1.50 to dry. 1 big load of my whites $5.50 to wash, $1.50 to dry.

I don't really think line drying is practical if you live in an apartment that has no outdoor space nor do I think it's practical to drive all your wet cloths home to even attempt...am I being complainy pants?

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 09:50:40 PM »
+1 for in suite laundry. I think that is a convenience I'd cut last... With a baby in hand, in suite laundry is a god send. I pay $400 more for it.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 10:11:35 PM »
I do wash every 2-3 weeks.  1 big load is composed of 2 sets of sheets and about 4 towels.  $5.50 to was and $2 to dry. 1 big load of all my colors, $5.50 to wash $1.50 to dry. 1 big load of my whites $5.50 to wash, $1.50 to dry.

I don't really think line drying is practical if you live in an apartment that has no outdoor space nor do I think it's practical to drive all your wet cloths home to even attempt...am I being complainy pants?

I live in a 5th floor 400 square foot studio apartment and hang dry everything for two people. Drying rack for clothes, doors for sheets, rocking chair for towels.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 10:41:35 PM »
we rent, and use a laundromat. there are 2 adults 2 kids.
Its about 12$ a trip to the laundromat not including detergent. We go every other week.

BigRed

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 10:43:11 PM »
2 adults, 2 kids, we spend $50/month.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 10:44:17 PM »
When I was renting I bought a twin tub washing machine - it was so small it fitted in the bathroom. It was also very cheap and didn't need proper hose connection. I guess I saved a lot in laundry fees.

etselec

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 10:45:00 PM »
Between $2 and $4 a month at the laundromat around the corner - I do a load every 3 weeks or so. Most machines there cost $3, but they have some older, smaller ones for $2/load. I hang dry everything because their dryers are expensive and don't work very well.

My last place had in-unit laundry (we rented a whole house) and I thought I'd be miserable switching to a laundromat. It took some getting used to, but overall it's not bad. Dragging laundry up and down the stairs was the worst part (and hard on my shoulders!), but then I figured out that my big camping backpack holds exactly 1 load. Problem solved!

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 02:37:29 AM »
I was spending $12 a week. $4 a load for two loads a week, then chucking the whole lot into the dryer for another $4. Pain in the arse considering the machines only took gold coins ($1 and $2) and there was no change machine nearby. I'd have to hoard the bastards up or go and change a note at the 7-Eleven down the road. Fortunately my bike panniers managed to hold two loads of washing pretty well.

Ended up buying a washing machine and hanging the clothes on a clothes rack.

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 04:57:05 AM »

Fast forward to my new apartment which has no washer and dryer (well it does...but there is 1 washer and dryer for 12 units so I choose to go to the laundromat.)

Can't you use the washer/dryer at your new apt? If you pick odd hours, early mornings/late night/weekday nights, there should be a time when the machines are free.

I hang dry all my clothes indoors in a studio apt. You can get a folding clothes drying rack, it'll only take up floor space for one day of the week and then you can store it somewhere else.

Yes I could use the one at my apartment building at odd hours but I still would be limited to one load at a time and then I feel like I'm doing wash almost every 3 or 4 days.  I go to the laundromat and knock out 2 weeks of cloths in 2 hrs, wash dry, fold.

I guess my real issue is that I have so much laundry! 

thecornercat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 05:15:49 AM »
The washer in our building costs $1.50. We are two people... we probably do about 4 loads a month, so $6.00. (I am estimating--but we don't need to do laundry every week.) We don't use the dryer--we hang the clothes up to dry.

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 06:43:07 AM »
Yiiiiikes at those prices.  I balked when I was in an apartment that had $1.50 loads instead of just $1.  Right now I'm in a dorm where I've heard bad things about the washing machines, so I hand wash everything (besides towels and sheets). I do a small load every other day or so, and hang up on hangers.

I always line dry my clothing in my apartment/dorm. For a large load, just string a rope between fixtures like doors, windows, and cabinets. I never had a problem.

But at $5.50 a load, I would buy an apartment washing machine. They can use pretty much any sink.

Also, question how often you're washing things. I use towels for about a week before being washed, and most articles of clothing can get 2-3 wears before needing a wash (undergarments excluded).

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 06:56:28 AM »

I made space for rack drying when I lived in an apartment.  Shower curtain rod for shirts hanging on hangers worked well too.

Bonus was that the air in my apartment was so dry that drying my clothes in the apartment made things more comfortable.

Also, it took less time.  And I didn't have to deal with people who left their clothes in the dryer long after it was finished drying.  And my clothes lasted longer.

I much preferred line drying even without the savings.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 07:01:52 AM »
We have in-suite laundry in our current place (we pay electric, landlord pays water) but when we were using building laundry in our last place we budgeted $25/month for laundry (2 adults). We'd do about 2 loads a week, including a dryer cycle for most. We probably could've gotten better prices at a laundromat, but it's freezing cold/miserable weather six months out of the year, so the convenience of having laundry downstairs was worth whatever the surcharge was.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 10:44:16 AM »
Our apartment building has a laundry room every other floor with enough washers and dryers that I can always find an empty one. We hang-dry our clothes in the living room on two folding drying racks (and, if it's nice out, our balcony railing). So at $2 per washer load, we spend $8-10 each month on laundry.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 11:51:24 AM »
One guy living alone here. I'd estimate two loads every two weeks at $1.50 per wash and dry, which adds up to $12/month. But then my girlfriend's parents let me do laundry there from time to time, so it's usually less than $12/month.

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 12:49:28 PM »

[/quote]

I live in a 5th floor 400 square foot studio apartment and hang dry everything for two people. Drying rack for clothes, doors for sheets, rocking chair for towels.
[/quote]

I think a folding drying rack rocks, because placed in front of the wood stove it dries even blankets quicker than the dryer. But when I was in a small apartment I used one of those 'travel' lines you hang in the shower so it was out of sight

Now my go to is a multi-hook over the door rack in the spare room: I hang all socks/underwear/delicates there. It's out of sight and keeps them nicer than drying them in a dryer anyway: no elastic melt downs.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 03:50:19 PM »

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 03:53:21 PM »
$1.75 wash, $1.25/dry. I do 1 load a week (though I don't do it every week), so that's ~$15/month.

I've been visiting my parents a couple times a month by bike lately and I do have a bike trailer, so technically I could do it for free if I wanted. :)

Silverwood

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 04:05:53 PM »
Do you find that with line drying you'll do smaller wash loads, as there is less room to hang things?

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 04:08:46 PM »
Do you find that with line drying you'll do smaller wash loads, as there is less room to hang things?

Yeah, I don't have enough room to line dry even one load! And I'm not sure I want a drying rack indoors. Using a dryer really isn't that expensive - it takes a while to cover the cost of a drying rack.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 04:14:17 PM »

Yeah, I don't have enough room to line dry even one load! And I'm not sure I want a drying rack indoors. Using a dryer really isn't that expensive - it takes a while to cover the cost of a drying rack.
It is amazing how little room you really need to use to dry a load - a few over door hangers can take a load pretty easily without using much space.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2014, 04:21:39 PM »

It is amazing how little room you really need to use to dry a load - a few over door hangers can take a load pretty easily without using much space.

Interesting. I only have one door in my studio (the bathroom door), but will look into it. Any specific kind of hanger you use? A hanger sounds like a smaller investment.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2014, 04:28:45 PM »
Interesting. I only have one door in my studio (the bathroom door), but will look into it. Any specific kind of hanger you use? A hanger sounds like a smaller investment.
The sort of thing I am thinking of is readily available here - for instance http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/181439698176?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107&chn=ps although it is very expensive - I'm sure I paid about $5. You could probably get one for each side of the door, and rig something so you could put them one above the other.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 04:37:28 PM by deborah »

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2014, 04:35:10 PM »
Ours is $2 per wash and $1.75 per dry. I think that is horrifying. We hang-dry what we can.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2014, 05:01:00 PM »

No, every weekend we just do one load and wash whatever needs to be washed. Sometimes we end up missing a week - like if we're travelling, and do two weeks worth at once. You should see what our apartment looks like after that - things hanging everywhere you can imagine, chairs and lamps repurposed into extra drying racks, things hanging in the kitchen, from the ceiling, you name it.

This place is actually almost double the size of our first apartment together, and when we were there we used to hang things out the window and on an exercise bike I used to have as well.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
An average of $22.50/mo for two adults in Minnesota (lots of winter layers).

I just looked at Mint to answer this question. I generally put about $50 on our laundry card when I fill it, and I filled it in March, May, August, October, and just a couple days ago. For the $205 total since the end March, I guess that's an average of about $22.75/mo. Our machines are $1.50 per wash and dry, and sometimes I wash two loads and dry them (or mostly dry them, which I call 'fluffing' them) on the same drying cycle (1 hour on the hottest temp is too long for most of our clothes, so I'll do 30 minutes for whites, and 30 for darks/knits, and hang things on hangers so they don't wrinkle, plus nothing gets crunchy this way).

DH and I both re-wear clothing when possible, and an apartment that including a washer/dryer would be significantly more in our area (like $200+ per month), plus farther away from where we need to be. 

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2014, 09:19:12 AM »

I live in a tiny studio apartment and I manage with one of these fold-away racks.  I got mine at the Asian Import booth in our local flea market for $25 and it's built like a tank.  It also holds a weeks worth of laundry for me:

http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Can-Do-DRY-01610-Heavy-Gullwing-Drying/dp/B00383O2UU/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1416931709&sr=1-1&keywords=drying+rack

I also store a portable washing machine in my closet.  If you look on craigslist, you'll find one for about $100 on any given day:

http://www.haier.com/us/products/laundry/washers/compact-washers/hlp21n.shtml

The whole set-up paid for itself in the first year of savings.  Now, I will say that air-dried towels can get a bit stiff, so I visit my sister every Sunday and use her dryer.  (I'd be there anyways, we watch Walking Dead and eat spaghetti together.) :-)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2014, 10:04:39 AM »
Here's my drying rack that I bought about six years ago for $14.99: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/40244831/

I typically only need to fold it open half way  to fit one week of laundry for two people, so it hardly takes up any space. It easily fits in my closet when I'm not using it.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:35:01 AM by Zikoris »

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2014, 10:11:22 AM »
My wife and I spend about $500/year on laundry (although that was an estimate I made last year). The machines are $1 per cycle each. Since I'm a fairly recent convert to Mustachianism, I haven't started hang drying. I can hang dry in the warm months, but our apartment gets humid very easily in the cold months and, to avoid mold, I'll just machine dry. Hang drying will save some money.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2014, 10:17:07 AM »
Two or three of these and a foldable drying rack will dry a couple loads. 

http://www.amazon.com/Clip-Dry-Portable-Hanging-Drying/dp/B004FPZGSM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1416935669&sr=8-6&keywords=clothes+drying+rack+clips&pebp=1416935677665

I don't have that specific model, but anything like it should work.  They fold in half so they take up almost no space when not in use. 

If you are washing several loads at a time, you can also do one dryer load with the thickest items (longest to dry).  You'll still be cutting your dryer usage in half (or more). 

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2014, 10:21:16 AM »
$1.75 per wash * 52 weeks per year / 12 months per year = $7.58/month. Hang dry.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2014, 08:40:51 PM »
Wash = $2
Dry = $1.25

I figured out that if I added two pairs of pants and a second sweater to my kid's wardrobe, I can limit it to two loads every two weeks, so four loads per month, to cover the two of us. My other trick is to eliminate whites. Everything needs to be able to go into the same load for maximum efficiency of time, money, etc.

I agree with a previous poster about en suite laundry while you have a very young child. We went through four years (re: disability) of cloth diapers, then all bedding soaked in pee every single morning for another year...  Having free machines right next to the suite (shared with other tenants) was a lifesaver!

But now all the peeing is finally over, and we were fine transitioning to this. I would still prefer en suite for the travel time it takes up, though, but this little difference was worth the overall amazingness of the new life.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2014, 09:27:59 AM »
I had been spending $16 a month.  But I eventually found an apartment size washer on craigslist for $80.  It also came with a "broken" dryer. (Mostly the lint trap was packed so full that there was no air flow.)  I loved that little washing machine.  I did eventually have to replace the pump for another $80, but I consider it money well spent, especially since my brother is still using the set in his apartment.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2014, 10:14:57 AM »

You can also use regular closet hangers and put stuff on the shower curtain rod. Hang heavier stuff closer to the wall, of course.

I bought a brand new washer and it still paid off because laundry here is like $2.25 a load and 25 cents for 7 minutes of drying. Plus my neighborhood is sketchy so either I have to sit with it or factor in the cost of stolen clothes. But my point here is, run the washer while you're showering and then the clothes have a full 24 hours to dry.

TeresaB

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2014, 10:25:29 AM »
I think we spend about $10/month.
I would like to line dry everything, but my husband's jeans don't dry fast enough and they get mildewy. Anyone have a solution for this?

TerriM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2014, 10:34:07 AM »
This is a reason we bought a washer/dryer after moving to a rental without one.  It paid itself off within 2-3 years.   We were lucky to have hookups, but if you don't, you can still buy one that attaches to the sink like this one (or search for "portable washer"):

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Danby-1-7-cu-ft-Portable-Top-Load-Washer-in-White-DWM17WDB/203804356?N=5yc1vZc496

There are also versions that are combo washer/dryer.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2014, 01:06:14 PM »

I've had first-hand experience with the combo washer-dryers while condo siting.  I'm referring specifically to the type of washer/dryer where the same appliance switches from washing to drying in different cycles.  My advice is to avoid these as they aren't very good at either function.  They take especially long to dry.  It took two hours to get the load to "slightly damp" in the model I tried/

highcountry

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2014, 01:19:43 PM »
I spend about $20 a month for the two of us.   We do about a load a week, but we housesit regularly, and use the washer and dryer of the house we caretake when we can, so only about 3/4 of our laundry is done at the laundromat.  I would love to have our own washer and dryer, but would need to build a garden shed to have room for them.

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2014, 01:28:50 PM »
I think we spend about $10/month.
I would like to line dry everything, but my husband's jeans don't dry fast enough and they get mildewy. Anyone have a solution for this?

My first apartment out of school didn't have a dryer or wood stove. But after I baked dinner I'd set my uniform for work the next day (the bastards only gave you one!) on the open oven door. I'd set it on the little metal little drying rack for cookies. I've also set the rack on top of a the forced air vents and it usually was enough extra air/heat.

Also...line dried towels are stiff enough to wear as armor. I toss them in the dryer with no heat for ten minutes to soften them, and then hang 'em. I don't think the no heat setting makes that much of an electrical diff.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2014, 01:52:08 PM »
Only the cost of washing powder. Our building has several washing machines and driers in the basement. Water and electricity is paid by the landlord (= included in the rent).

TerriM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2014, 01:56:54 PM »

I've had first-hand experience with the combo washer-dryers while condo siting.  I'm referring specifically to the type of washer/dryer where the same appliance switches from washing to drying in different cycles.  My advice is to avoid these as they aren't very good at either function.  They take especially long to dry.  It took two hours to get the load to "slightly damp" in the model I tried/

Thank you for confirming that.  I'd heard the same thing from someone who had one, but that was years ago.  Guess they haven't improved much. 

Just a washer with line dry might work for someone who is in a dry climate.    Though I like line-drying a lot, I did find that the combination of line-dry and dryer worked best.  I'd dry tshirts about 90% on the line and then throw them in the dryer with a towel for about 15 minutes.  That got the stiffness out of the tshirts and it was the only way to get the towel soft.  Then I'd do a single full-cycle dry load with all the tiny stuff--socks,  underwear, and baby clothes.