Author Topic: For Mustachians in Toronto/Hamilton/Burlington  (Read 3206 times)

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
For Mustachians in Toronto/Hamilton/Burlington
« on: September 08, 2012, 07:05:40 PM »
I haven't shared this before, but my family moved to Burlington from the US when I was in high school. (For those of you familiar, I attended both Hillfield Strathallan College in Hamilton for Grade 10 and Aldershot High School in Burlington for Grades 11 and 12 before I moved back to Texas for University.)

I was talking to the Hubs and we'd like to plan a trip at some point to Toronto and Burlington and take a day trip up to Niagara with the kiddos.  I went back to visit with my mom about 5 years ago to meet back up with old family friends and my HS friends. The Hubs and the kids have never been to Canada, so we thought this would be a fun trip.

Of course, we want to make it as economical and Mustachian as possible. Any suggestions on accommodations both in Toronto itself and in Burlington? We will be flying and renting a car as driving there from Texas and back very well could take the entire trip. (A week, tops.)

Also, it's been a long time since I've been there and I don't remember what the weather is like in April/May/June. I do, very clearly, remember how frigid the winters were, however. Suggestions as to best time to go (meaning no snow on the ground)?

Thanks!

Bullseye

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: For Mustachians in Toronto/Hamilton/Burlington
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 10:52:34 AM »
Burlingtonian here.  Cheapest option for a family would be camping in Bronte provincial park, right on the Burlington/Oakville border.  You could buy a cheap tent and stuff from walmart, then return it afterwards. 

The motels near highway through Burlington are pretty cheap and decent, around $70/night. 

Weather wise, April could definitely mean snow.  Later in month is usually mild, though, 50F or so.  Late May is when most here start camping, weather can be chilly at night, 40F, but sometimes it's gorgeous.  June is reliably warm and nice.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 01:20:06 PM »
Thanks! I can't do camping due to a back injury, but a motel would be fine. I'll check those out. We'll aim for June. :)

It Figures

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 07:21:34 PM »
I'm wondering if you could even stay on campus at Mac which is beautiful in the spring. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!