Author Topic: Food: using up surpluses of "weird" stuff  (Read 9363 times)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
Food: using up surpluses of "weird" stuff
« on: July 22, 2014, 10:06:56 AM »
I'm hoping this can become a thread where some of us post about stuff we have too much of and others post ideas for using it up.

Here's my situation: I buy interesting ingredients, mostly spices, that I need for one or two recipes, or I foolishly buy Indian-auntie-sized packages of something, then I have a whole bunch of it left. I don't want to "force" recipes (like when you invest three bucks' worth of ingredients to use up half a can of tomato paste), but I don't want to waste stuff, either. I'm happy to invest sweat equity in hard-work recipes.

Here are my current surpluses:

*annato seeds
*Chinese dried orange peel
*kalonji (aka "onion seeds")
*coriander seeds

Any ideas?

swick

• Magnum Stache
Re: Food: using up surpluses of "weird" stuff
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 10:25:04 AM »
A quick foodgawker search pulled up some ideas for annatto:

http://foodgawker.com/?s=annatto

The Filipino garlic fried rice sounds great! Also, Chicken Inasal...I wish I had bookedmarked the recipe I had used last because it was some of the bast damn chicken I have ever eaten.

Orange peel can be tossed into tea, buzzed up with sugar for a flavored sugar, used to flavor/scent cooking water for rice, tossed into stews and removed before serving (if they are in bigger pieces)

Kalonji are (I believe) another name for nigella seeds. Doing a search for either in foodgawker will give you some ideas. I use them on top of turkish breads and in some middle eastern cooking.

Coriander is a tough one because you can't really use too much before it takes over, and some people find it a very soapy taste. I make my own Garam masala spice blend that uses coriander and seems to be much easier to add to dishes regularly.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 10:31:36 AM »
My husband makes a coriander crust for meats and fish.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 12:42:42 PM »
Not familiar with the taste of these spices except coriander.   However, think of things you normally eat that you can spice up.  For example, scrambled eggs, pizza, roast chicken, beans, etc. can all take an ethnic twist with the addition of a spice. 

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 04:22:39 PM »
If kalonji are nigella seeds, there are lots you can do with them! In middle eastern cookery they are called black sesame seeds, and are used on the top of bread like sesame seeds or poppy seeds. I use them this way all the time.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 04:24:32 PM »
Everything Bagel toppings.

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 04:36:39 PM »
I use coriander seeds in pickles.   The cucumbers are free out of my garden.   I've reorganized my cooking philosophy around Tamar Adler's ideas in Everlasting Meal, and would be seasoning rice or bean dishes with those spices. 
From your list, I'm getting an idea around an orange peel infused simple syrup to add to iced tea. 

Seņora Savings

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 04:44:20 PM »
My favorite hot drink is cinnamon and orange people with black tea.

I'd probably throw the seeds in some granola.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 05:07:01 PM »
Orange peel goes really good in cherry preserves.

My wife brings home odd spices all the time. I usually dip my finger in and taste to try and figure out a good pairing for it.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 05:22:04 PM »
I use coriander regularly in Mexican or South American dishes. Along with Cumin it is one of a pair of spices I use for these dishes.

We make our own dried orange peel on a regular basis for tea and other infusions.

in addition to being a spice, Annatto is also a good yellow dye.  It can be used on plant or animal fibers, in foods, or as a paint.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 05:56:57 PM »
I use coriander regularly in Mexican or South American dishes. Along with Cumin it is one of a pair of spices I use for these dishes.

My go-to taco seasoning is chili, cumin, and coriander in a 4:2:1 ratio.

davef

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 06:32:45 PM »
My wife and I play Chopped regularly in the kitchen. One of us grabs four random items (often those about to spoil or neglected items) and the other has 60 minutes to cook dinner using those 4 ingredients plus anything else. Then we taunt each other and act like snobby judges!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 08:16:32 PM »
My wife and I play Chopped regularly in the kitchen. One of us grabs four random items (often those about to spoil or neglected items) and the other has 60 minutes to cook dinner using those 4 ingredients plus anything else. Then we taunt each other and act like snobby judges!

That's fun! I've thought of starting a tradition among friends using the concepts of The Iron Chef (I used to have cable and watch it). Pick an ingredient and invite friends who like to cook over and we all have a contest to see who has the best dish.

I recently made candied orange peels to eat based on a Sanjay Gupta show I saw on the benefits of fruit and vegetable peels (again, that old cable habit). They tasted like gummy bears. Yummy!

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 09:46:55 PM »
If kalonji are nigella seeds, there are lots you can do with them! In middle eastern cookery they are called black sesame seeds, and are used on the top of bread like sesame seeds or poppy seeds. I use them this way all the time.

In Florence I had the most to die for black sesame gelato. It was like peanut butter but richer and saltier. If you have an ice cream maker, you could easily use up a lot of the black sesame in that. I just picked some up in the bulk section last weekend & making killer black sesame gelato is my project for next weekend!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 09:53:17 PM »
In Florence I had the most to die for black sesame gelato. It was like peanut butter but richer and saltier. If you have an ice cream maker, you could easily use up a lot of the black sesame in that. I just picked some up in the bulk section last weekend & making killer black sesame gelato is my project for next weekend!

Isn't all gelato to die for? What do they put in that stuff that's so different from ice cream? I think I want to fly right over to Italy right now just to have some gelato. I've had gelato in the US, but it's not quite the same....or maybe it just tastes better while on vacation.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 05:27:46 AM »
Orange peel, put in a long beef braise.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 05:57:23 AM »
Bake them into bread. Just knead them in before the first rising. It works for pretty much anything, gets rid of a lot if it at once, and is easy.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 08:11:12 AM »

Isn't all gelato to die for? What do they put in that stuff that's so different from ice cream? I think I want to fly right over to Italy right now just to have some gelato. I've had gelato in the US, but it's not quite the same....or maybe it just tastes better while on vacation.

True, but this was the best gelato I had in Italy, and I had a LOT of gelato. It was the only kind I got more than once!

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 08:23:52 AM »
Orange peels work well with salmon (never tried it with dried peel, though).

Make a little sauce of orange juice, soy sauce, salt and pepper.  For two fillets, 3Tbs OJ, 2-3Tbs soy sauce, a dash of salt and pepper works well.  Add the orange peels, maybe 1-2 Tbs.  Pour half of sauce over salmon fillets and bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes.  Pour the other half of the sauce over them about 5 minutes before they are done.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 08:34:40 AM »

Where does one procure batches of orange people for consumption these days?  I keep getting 'import request denied' on my shipments.

Hannah

• Stubble
    • Cookbook Authority
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 09:51:50 AM »
Orange peel, put in a long beef braise.
+1, also sounds like an excellent rub for beer can chicken (also add chili powder).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 10:33:33 AM »

Where does one procure batches of orange people for consumption these days?  I keep getting 'import request denied' on my shipments.

Psst... try the local chocolate factory.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 10:42:39 AM »

I've been wondering this for years! Why is it SO GOOD? And, you're right, it doesn't taste the same stateside. Everything tastes better in Italy!

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 03:36:11 PM »

I've been wondering this for years! Why is it SO GOOD? And, you're right, it doesn't taste the same stateside. Everything tastes better in Italy!

According to my friend who worked at Black Dog Gelato here in Chicago, a big difference is the temperature. So unless you're going to a dedicated gelato shop, you'll be eating gelato at too cold of a temp. The other difference is basically just the balance of the milk to cream.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 08:01:32 PM »

According to my friend who worked at Black Dog Gelato here in Chicago, a big difference is the temperature. So unless you're going to a dedicated gelato shop, you'll be eating gelato at too cold of a temp. The other difference is basically just the balance of the milk to cream.
The more you know! Thank you!

TeresaB

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 09:00:43 AM »
My go-to for leftover spices is a chicken stir-fry. It can be interesting, but it's usually good.

Does anyone have any ideas for evaporated milk? I bought a bunch of cans thinking it could be turned into cheap pudding. But that's condensed milk. Fail. And now I don't know what to do with it.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 09:04:20 AM »
Does anyone have any ideas for evaporated milk?

I use it (or extra skim milk powder) in applications where I can't taste the difference... in my case, usually pancake batter. Half and half with water, or a little less water than that.

As the OP, thanks to everyone for the ideas! I wasn't previously familiar with foodgawker.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 01:56:52 PM »
My go-to for leftover spices is a chicken stir-fry. It can be interesting, but it's usually good.

Does anyone have any ideas for evaporated milk? I bought a bunch of cans thinking it could be turned into cheap pudding. But that's condensed milk. Fail. And now I don't know what to do with it.

You can heat it up, add espresso, and call it a latte or the Spanish name cafe-con-leche. I grew up drinking it a lot. Usually it was with regular milk, but when we wanted to treat ourselves we'd do it with evaporated milk.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 05:51:30 PM »

You can still make pudding.  A Google search will turn up dozens of recipes that use canned milk.
I use canned milk for "cream of (insert favorite kind) soup" and also for sauces and gravies.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2014, 10:16:02 AM »
Does anyone have any ideas for evaporated milk?

You should be able to make the same things with evaporated milk as you do with sweetened condensed milk -- the difference between them is that the latter has a crap ton of sugar added to it when evaporating the water out.  I've never tried it personally, but you can try to change E Milk into SC Milk this way:

sweetened condensed milk (1 14 oz can)= 1 cup evaporated milk + 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, heated until sugar dissolves

Source: http://www.myrecipes.com/how-to/ingredient-substitutions-00420000003012/?subsid=s

Edit:  It looks like you need your E milk to be made from whole milk if you want it to be a perfect substitution.  E milk can come in whole or reduced fat, but SC Milk is whole: http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/tools-and-techniques/condensed-milk-vs-evaporated-milk.htm

The other option is probably to add additional sugar and fat to the recipe itself when using your E milk to get approximately the same taste.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 10:20:13 AM by ChransStache »