Author Topic: Following the summer (or winter)  (Read 2948 times)

epower

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Following the summer (or winter)
« on: February 10, 2017, 06:42:37 PM »
Does anyone spend part of the year in one hemisphere/country and the other part of the year in another country on an on going basis to follow the summer (if you like the hot) or winter (if you like skiing, etc).

How do you do it? Do you own or rent houses? What do you do whilst there? How long have you done it for?

Penny McSave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Following the summer (or winter)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 06:58:36 PM »
I don't have much to offer as far as personal experience but I once knew a couple that "followed the crowds". They lived in a travel trailer and would seek out cities across America to spend a season working. I think they mostly worked in restaurants but would do other high demand seasonal jobs as well. I think this is a pretty interesting way to get to know a town and live like a local while enjoying it at it's peak. They said if they got bored of a place they could always just pack up the trailer and head out. I love that! After meeting them I think this is something I'd like to explore in a semi retirement. I'm actually sad that I never got their contact info, they were super interesting people.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 11:13:01 PM »
The trouble is that summer is too hot and winter is too cold.  I would prefer to follow Autumn/Spring, but that's not possible.

I do tend to go inland in winter (outback Australia is fantastic, and it never gets too cold). Summer is a problem though. Most fruit ripens in summer, and I need to be around to process it. I think I have a solution though - I'll visit New Zealand whenever it gets too hot.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 06:13:29 PM »
My inlaws don't like winter in Idaho so they take their motor home down to AZ/NV/NM/etc for a the worst month and change.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 06:24:40 AM »
Not retired yet.

I've watched my grandfather try different things.  Everything from short rentals to now owning a condo down south that they spend 6 months in every winter.

The plan at this point is to rent an apartment or condo down south for the month of Jan and Feb. Or possibly camp but I suspect a two month rental will be cheaper than acquiring a camper (I assume I will reach an age where I won't want to car camp). I have no desire to own a winter home, but who knows maybe it'll make more financial sense.

We've also talked about volunteering at a national park for the season. Problem is I'm big I to gardening so I want to be home during the growing season. That means we could only volunteer in the winter which limits you to a few parks like Everglades (not appealing!).  I haven't researched what other parks peak in winter.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 10:56:49 AM »
We've also talked about volunteering at a national park for the season. Problem is I'm big I to gardening so I want to be home during the growing season. That means we could only volunteer in the winter which limits you to a few parks like Everglades (not appealing!).  I haven't researched what other parks peak in winter.

You don't have to volunteer, you could work at a NP in the winter.  Even the more northern parks have a small crew during the winter, at Yellowstone I believe both Mammoth and Old Faithful are open year around.  When I worked at YNP many years ago during the summers there were several employees that went down to the Grand Canyon or the Everglades during the winter.  If you have a camper (or tent) you could look at being the campground host at state parks that are more southern. 

A campground host is one of my potential early retirement housing plans. 

As to the OPs topic I very much dislike winter and if I can't live permanently in a warmer climate I plan to escape most of winter once I retire by traveling via camper or having 2 smaller homes in whatever areas I decide on.

fuzzed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 08:56:17 AM »
We are not retired, but we have three properties which are completely paid for.

Property one, principle residences, we live here as we both work in the area.  Once we hit our liquid savings goal, it will be sold and we will split time between property two and three.

Property two. a cottage/cabin in a summer area.  It is a one minute walk from the water and will serve as our late spring to mid autumn home.  It is old, needs work, but will do the job.  Purchased about 15 years ago, paid off in 5 years

Property three, a place in the mountains of BC for skiing.  It is very small but works for us as it is just the two of us. Purchase d about 10 years ago, paid off in 5 years

The key for us was, we did not but the best property.  Our cottage is not waterfront, but has access, so it cost about 1/8the price.  Our ski place is very small, (less than 300 sq feet) but has everything and is in the best location.   

So I think it is about "settling" i suppose, and focusing on the long term.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!