Author Topic: Folks in the Northeastern US: how much do you pay for heat?  (Read 3400 times)

tanguera

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Folks in the Northeastern US: how much do you pay for heat?
« on: March 12, 2015, 12:15:42 PM »
We're looking to move closer to my job in the next few months and want to make sure we'll be saving money. We currently rent a townhouse-style condo with electric heat and it has been ridiculously expensive to heat -- even though we keep it at 65-67F (lower overnight) and turn the heat off all together on sunny mornings.

Most of the units I've been looking at are on one floor of a multi-family house built in the 1920s or 30s: 1100-1400 square feet. Most of these homes seem to have gas furnaces, though some have oil. Any idea approximately how much we can expect to pay to heat an apartment like this?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
Re: Folks in the Northeastern US: how much do you pay for heat?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 12:21:32 PM »
It will depend on a lot of factors (insulation, windows, efficiency of the furnace, etc.) but oil is always a lot more expensive than gas.  So I would advise you to stay away from places with oil heat.  I live in CT in a 1600 sq ft townhouse (new construction, well insulated, good windows) and the highest gas bill I had last winter was $109.  This winter it was $102.  Otherwise, under $100.  Once the heat is off it's $17 per month (minimum service charge plus whatever is used for cooking).

ETA: I don't do budget billing, but electric plus gas average out to about $150 per month year round for me.  Gas heat and stovetop/oven, gas fireplace used regularly, electric water heater.  Very, very limited AC use.  Heat is 60 at night and when I'm not at home, 65-68 otherwise.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:56:06 PM by ZiziPB »

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 12:29:59 PM »
Upstate NY in an old, somewhat drafty, but insulated (blown in) 1500 sq ft house and it looks like we'll end up at ~$130/month on a budget billing plan (same every month) for gas and electric after our first full year here (so based on our usage, not the last person). We use a programmable thermostat set for 68 evenings, 65 days/weekends (work from home), and 60 nights. We don't use A/C in the summer. Electric alone used to be ~$35/month in a slightly smaller apartment.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 12:37:22 PM »
I live in a 1914 twin that has 1955 square feet of finished space. I just saw a $222 gas bill come up for the past month, but I also put in a gas water heater.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 12:49:07 PM »
Oh, the other tip: at least here we were able to call up the local utility with an address and get an estimate of the budget billing amount. It's based on the past years usage, so you won't really know what the current occupant did, but it'll at least give you a ballpark. I don't know how common this is though?

tanguera

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 02:18:23 PM »
Thanks for the data everyone. Sounds like we should be able to save a good deal of money if we can find the right place.

That's a good tip, terran. Can't hurt to at least call and ask.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 02:27:40 PM »
I have a 1500 sq ft house and it cost me $155 for gas last month.  We have gas heat, a gas water heater, gas dryer, and gas stove/oven.

FarmFam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 02:31:00 PM »
I lived in MA and one month my gas bill was $1000!  I would say, ask for the previous Tenants number to call them as a reference and ask them what they paid.

Some areas are more expensive than others too because utility prices are regulated by the local government.