Author Topic: Flying with Snowboard equipment  (Read 5858 times)

schimt

• Bristles
Flying with Snowboard equipment
« on: February 20, 2014, 12:19:46 PM »
I am flying from jersey to Colorado for the first time to go snowboarding, i know, not very mustachian. Regardless, i was wondering if anyone had any advice about flying with ski equipment.

I have a thin bag for my board, do i need an expensive padded bag to check it? And can i shove my boots, jacket and pants in the same bag?

We are flying United.

Thanks in advance for the help!

DougStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Flying with Snowboard equipment
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 01:02:32 PM »
I haven't flown with my gear before, but have looked into it.

You shouldn't need an expensive padded bag.  Put as much stuff in the bag as you can, and wrap soft things (coat, snow pants) around the edges of your board.  If you can't manage to cover the edges, go buy a pool noodle and cut it so you can use it as a pad around the edges; really you just need to protect it from someone hitting the edges when your bag is being thrown around.  You also may want to consider taking your bindings off and putting them in your carry on.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 01:21:58 PM »
Are there extra fees for the board? I looked into it and ended up going with Southwest, since skis fly without extra charge. (not much help to you now I know)

But, if they do charge for the board I'd try to pack as much into that bag as possible, boot, jackets, pants etc. So you don't need an extra checked bag, and can do with carryon.

schimt

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 01:50:15 PM »
United accepts one item of ski equipment per customer as checked baggage. Ski equipment must be securely encased in a suitable container. An item of ski equipment consists of:

Water skis
Snowboard
Up to two pairs of snow skis and associated equipment in one bag and one ski boot bag. (Note: If ski boot bag contains other items in addition to or in place of boots, it will be subject to the applicable checked baggage service charge or excess baggage service charge.)
If applicable, the first or second checked baggage service charge applies to ski equipment.

Ski equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the excess baggage charge applicable in the market for a single piece.

Ski and boot bags weighing more than 50 pounds (23kg) that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate ski equipment will be subject to the applicable overweight checked baggage service charge.

United is not liable for damage to water ski/snow ski/snowboard equipment.

Excess Valuation may not be purchased for water ski/snow ski/snowboard equipment.

This is what i found on the site. Sounds like i can't check my snowboard boards or jacket/pants with the board, and it isn't clear if the board bag is free
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 01:53:33 PM by schimt »

schimt

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 01:51:36 PM »
If you can't manage to cover the edges, go buy a pool noodle and cut it so you can use it as a pad around the edges; really you just need to protect it from someone hitting the edges when your bag is being thrown around. 

Pool noodles are a great idea! Or pipe insulation since it is a little smaller. Thank you

The_Dude

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 03:19:08 PM »
United accepts one item of ski equipment per customer as checked baggage. Ski equipment must be securely encased in a suitable container. An item of ski equipment consists of:

Water skis
Snowboard
Up to two pairs of snow skis and associated equipment in one bag and one ski boot bag. (Note: If ski boot bag contains other items in addition to or in place of boots, it will be subject to the applicable checked baggage service charge or excess baggage service charge.)
If applicable, the first or second checked baggage service charge applies to ski equipment.

Ski equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the excess baggage charge applicable in the market for a single piece.

Ski and boot bags weighing more than 50 pounds (23kg) that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate ski equipment will be subject to the applicable overweight checked baggage service charge.

United is not liable for damage to water ski/snow ski/snowboard equipment.

Excess Valuation may not be purchased for water ski/snow ski/snowboard equipment.

This is what i found on the site. Sounds like i can't check my snowboard boards or jacket/pants with the board, and it isn't clear if the board bag is free

I flew united to Denver last month.  I had to pay $25 to check the bag which I figured was a win because the bag otherwise is long enough to trigger their oversized bag fee which was over $100.  I used my old wakeboard bag and put two snowboards with bindings in the bag.  I also included some small misc items.  As long as the bag doesn't way over 50 lbs you can include other stuff.

schimt

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 05:56:03 AM »
Thanks Dude, it will be nice to get my jacket and pants in there so i can get everything else in a carry on.

Fuzz

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 09:58:50 PM »
Shred it! Great storm cycle to be in the Rockies. Ride some steep stuff

LibraTraci

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 12:43:47 AM »
When is your vacation?  Saving money at expensive ski resorts is a favorite topic of mine!  (I work in Park City, UT.) 

schimt

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 05:22:18 AM »
When is your vacation?  Saving money at expensive ski resorts is a favorite topic of mine!  (I work in Park City, UT.)

Leaving tomorrow, Going to Breckenridge with a bunch of people. Mostly all paid for, besides food. More then will to take notes for next time on money saving ideas!