Author Topic: Fix vs buy car  (Read 2390 times)

Budding_Voyager

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Fix vs buy car
« on: November 07, 2015, 08:10:59 AM »
On a recent wet day I took a turn too fast and the car skidded hard against a curb, resulting in a bent rear axle (yes, i hit that curb very hard). Mechanic said I can still drive it for a month (longer if I'm really easy on it) but I'll have to get it fixed or get a new car.

The car is a 2001 Toyota Prius; KBB values it at about $3500; it would cost $2500 to fix. It averages about 35 miles per gallon. I drive to work 5 times a week, about 9 miles each direction. If I get another car, I'd like it to be a hybrid, so about $15k price tag. But we have the savings to do that.

My wife is concerned that if we stick with the car, something else wrong will come up. But this car runs well at the end of the day and I fear we could get problems, even with a more recent model.

TheThirstyStag

• Bristles
Re: Fix vs buy car
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 08:58:09 AM »
I suggest shopping around for more quotes.  $2500 sounds pretty steep for axle work, unless there is more damage than you think.   

A repair bill more along the lines of $1000-1500 could answer this question more easily for you.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 09:37:49 AM »
Just as a clarification, the Toyata Prius does not have a rear axle (it is front wheel drive) but it does have an axle beam which is more like a suspension component.  The bending of this beam happens often with slamming into a curb and can look terrible (wheel majorly off from being straight).  I think $2500 seems high, but I've never personally replaced one.

If it were me, I would find a Prius being parted out and try and buy the complete axle beam assembly and replace it yourself.  You can also do a nation-wide junkyard search at car-part.com .  Looks like you can get a complete assembly for around $700 on average.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 09:52:20 AM by v8rx7guy »

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 10:06:41 AM »
I would shop around first. Unless your car is dangerous, seriously falling apart, etc. it's cheaper to get it fixed, even if that value exceeds the value of the car by a bit.