Author Topic: Fix Sad Futon Mattress?  (Read 37703 times)

tjt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Fix Sad Futon Mattress?
« on: April 20, 2012, 10:39:55 PM »
I sleep on a lumpy queen futon mattress on a slanted futon frame.  Their is a sinkhole where my butt resides. It's about 5 years old. It's not the greatest for sleeping.  I flip  it but the mattress is pretty worn down in that whole region.

Debt Emergency: several thousand dollars of credit card debt. 

I shouldn't spend +$400 on a full size latex mattress. But I don't want to "waste" money on a cheaper  supposedly inferior spring mattress that will be uncomfortable and need replacing. 

Solutions
- 1. Put futon mattress on floor or level the frame.
- 2. Add a foam topper/pad or eggcrate pad. (using a thick comforter for extra padding now.)
- 3. Fix depression where my butt goes.

Anyone have suggestions on how to fix the spot in the futon where there's no stuffing?

Other alternatives to a new bed?

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Fix Sad Futon Mattress?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 06:54:15 AM »
Is there a zipper to open it up? If so, you could reach in and shift stuffing around and then beat it with a baseball bat to even it out. If the mattress has a spring or foam core of some kind, and the depression is permanent, then buy some cotton or other stuffing to add to that area. We have a 4" thick Japanese-style futon, and it's pretty easy to move the cotton around in it and beat down the lumps.

tjt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 05:53:55 PM »
OK, I'll try that.  I didn't realize you could move it around by hand. I thought it was all woven together or something.  It is cotton like you say.  I feel like a bit of a dope for not figuring it out myself. I'll be sure to come back with an exciting update.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 07:46:22 PM »
When my old spring mattress was absolutely past the point of salvation, I bought two extra thick toppers (from the cheapest place I could find on the internet), 6inches each, and stacked them on top of each other - with no actual "mattress" for them to top.  They just sit directly on the plywood of the bed frame.

12in of dual density memory foam, cost about $200 I believe, and is much more comfortable than a genuine name brand Temperpedic (I took them up on their 3 months in-home trial offer, but I wasn't about to spend 3 grand on a bed, so I sent it back even though I liked it).

You could possibly find a bunch of regular thickness toppers on Craigslist, stack like 5-6 2 inch ones to get the same effect for even less mnoey

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 11:37:45 PM »
I agree that DIY memory foam mattresses are dirt cheap, easy, and last far longer than the prebuilt, but I'd actually advise against Bakari's suggestion of a dual 6" memory foam configuration. Not even Tempurpedic does that, and for a reason. One of the things that helps memory foam keep its shape and durability over the years is a firm conventional foam layer underneath the memory foam, and a solid flat surface under that. In addition to reducing the overall cost significantly, you won't actually notice any difference. I'm having trouble citing sources on this, but when I researched the topic myself a few years back, I discovered that there was a relative consensus indicated that there's no benefit on thickness above about 4" of >4.0 PCF high density memory foam, and the body cannot tell the difference. The important thing for longevity is the ability to rotate the foam, and have a decent cover. On the cover front, a fitted stretchy jersey sheet paired with a thin polyester batting (something loose and stretchy to add a bit of breathe-ability) should be plenty to deal with sweat between the foam and the regular sheets. I find that last bit crucial for muggy summer night sleeping. Also, the higher the density, the firmer the mattress and the longer the lifespan.

Not including the flat surface bedframe, you can actually build a Tempurpedic quality mattress for around $300 (depending on the size) if you shop around (Queen - about $100-200 for the 4" memory foam, $75-100 for the 4-6" high density poly foam, $20-30 for the polyester quilt batting and jersey sheet). Not much more price-wise than a very well-built, quality American-style futon mattress with coil springs new. Granted, you can restuff as explained already for far less, but I find the things a bit lumpy and although some can put a pricetag on a good night's sleep, it doesn't make sleep any less important.

I also learned from personal experience that the thinner toppers stacked together don't work too well. Splurge for the thicker solid sheets of the stuff. The homebrew memory foam mattress is still a chunk of change, but can be done in stages.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 08:29:07 AM »
hmm...
You could be right - I never tried using regular foam.  I know tempurpedic only uses a few inches of actual viscoelastic memory foam and then uses regular foam for the rest, but I figured the reason was cost, and I always figured that made my system better! It feels more comfortable to me, though I can't say which factor is most significant.  I

Regarding density - my top layer is 4.0 PCF, the bottom layer is 6.0 PCF, so there is a firmer layer beneath (and a solid foundation beneath that)

dancedancekj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 10:55:24 AM »
If you live by an IKEA, you could also go buy a futon mattress there for pretty cheap. I think I got the Beddinge "Havet" for $160, which is substantially cheaper than buying the foam itself. It is pretty comfortable...

moneymohawk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 07:29:52 AM »
I would go ahead and try the futon on the floor.  I know there's some stigma there, but it never bothered me.  I slept on a futon on the floor for a year (before getting a hand me down bed) and it was just fine!

I did spend $40 on a egg-foam top and that helped make the futon (they can be pretty hard) more comfortable.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 12:59:50 PM »
I would go ahead and try the futon on the floor.  I know there's some stigma there, but it never bothered me.  I slept on a futon on the floor for a year (before getting a hand me down bed) and it was just fine!

I agree with this, in addition to fixing the innards. Futons are supposed to go on the floor, or at least, a tatami floor.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 08:22:23 PM »
I got a nearly new queen mattress with pillow top and box frame for free from craigslist - it pays to be in the right place at the right time, and happen to be nearby a borrow-able truck.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 08:25:10 AM »
I got a nearly new queen mattress with pillow top and box frame for free from craigslist - it pays to be in the right place at the right time, and happen to be nearby a borrow-able truck.

HEY!!!!!
I didn't think about this until you said that, but I have a mattress listed on CL for free RIGHT NOW
And... it just so happens the OP is in SF, just across the bay from me.
Granted its not new, but it is free: http://www.biodieselhauling.org/Salvage.html

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!