Author Topic: Fix or trade up Subaru  (Read 5059 times)

Bearblastbeats

Fix or trade up Subaru
« on: October 20, 2014, 09:06:19 AM »
I currently drive a 2008 Subaru Impreza with 100k miles on it. I owe about 8200 left on the loan. I've put about 3k of work into it in the last two years. It currently needs the heat shield to be welded, brakes and rotors to be replaced, timing belt to be replaced and exhaust hanger under engine to be replaced.

Maybe looking to trade up for a newer model Subaru and roll over my loan.

Thoughts?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: Fix or trade up Subaru
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 09:25:17 AM »
I would fix it. Those are all fairly normal maintenance items and not indicative of a deteriorating vehicle (not much different than needing new tires, for instance). With only 100k your Subaru should have many years of service left in it.

Currently the amount you owe on the vehicle is close to what it is worth (if fixed). Rolling the loan into a newer vehicle probably won't be moving in the right direction. Also, the Imprezas were essentially unchanged from 2008 to 2011. So if you were thinking of getting a "better" Impreza you'd need to get at least a 2012 to see any significant design changes (improved fuel economy at the cost of power).

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 10:24:49 AM »
Yea, that doesn't seem to bad of a deal since you put it in that perspective. Overall cost of fix shouldn't breach $1000 dollars.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 12:32:56 PM »
I currently drive a 2008 Subaru Impreza with 100k miles on it. I owe about 8200 left on the loan. I've put about 3k of work into it in the last two years. It currently needs the heat shield to be welded, brakes and rotors to be replaced, timing belt to be replaced and exhaust hanger under engine to be replaced.

Maybe looking to trade up for a newer model Subaru and roll over my loan.

Thoughts?

If your state doesn't require inspections, get under the car and undo the bolts to pull the heat shield off. It is there to keep your car from lighting fires if you park in tall dry grass. If you don't do that and the state doesn't require it, the heat shield is only good for your mechanic when you have to pay to get it fixed.

Brakes and rotors are REALLY easy to do yourself. MMM even has a post about how to do it. It is probably the most done repair on youtube. It will take you 3 hours to do the first one and another 30 minutes for each one after that once you know how to do it. The parts should be less than about $50/rotor (less if you take your old ones to a machine shop to get machined. Are they too thin or wobbly?) and $20-$30 per set of pads.

The timing belt/chain, have someone else do.

The Exhaust Hanger, if its what I think it is, could be replaced with 2 interlocking pipe clamps if you wanted a cheap fix. The part is probably $30

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 12:47:23 PM »
If your state doesn't require inspections, get under the car and undo the bolts to pull the heat shield off. It is there to keep your car from lighting fires if you park in tall dry grass. If you don't do that and the state doesn't require it, the heat shield is only good for your mechanic when you have to pay to get it fixed.

Brakes and rotors are REALLY easy to do yourself. MMM even has a post about how to do it. It is probably the most done repair on youtube. It will take you 3 hours to do the first one and another 30 minutes for each one after that once you know how to do it. The parts should be less than about $50/rotor (less if you take your old ones to a machine shop to get machined. Are they too thin or wobbly?) and $20-$30 per set of pads.

The timing belt/chain, have someone else do.

The Exhaust Hanger, if its what I think it is, could be replaced with 2 interlocking pipe clamps if you wanted a cheap fix. The part is probably $30

Yes, everything he said.  Unless you just want to get in the habit of selling yours cars when they hit 100k miles and require normal maintenance.

RetireAbroadAt35

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 01:06:59 PM »
Fix it up.  That's all small, normal stuff.  You'll get another 100k miles out of it easily if you keep the maintenance up.  Far better value than trading up, if $/mile are your chief concern.

StangStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 08:55:53 PM »
I agree with everyone else here.  Fix it up and drive it another 100k miles.

Brakes/rotors are easier than you think.  Try it yourself.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 10:41:10 PM »
Find someone who knows what they are doing.. buy them dinner and have them show you how to set up the timing to change the timing belt water pump and cam/crank seals.

None of this is hard.. Note I have never put any car of mine in the shop in 32 years..

Frank

StangStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 02:07:05 PM »
Find someone who knows what they are doing.. buy them dinner and have them show you how to set up the timing to change the timing belt water pump and cam/crank seals.

None of this is hard.. Note I have never put any car of mine in the shop in 32 years..

Frank

This.

You would be surprised what kind of repairs I've done for friends for a six pack of beer.  I, too, have never had my car in a shop and am very capable with cars.  From my perspective, it's fun to hang out in my garage and show a friend how to fix something over a cold beer.   I'm sure the OP knows someone like that.