Author Topic: Electric Razor Help  (Read 3920 times)

snyder66

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Electric Razor Help
« on: March 22, 2014, 03:45:22 PM »
Well, The time has come...My 12 year old need to start shaving off that peach fuzz.  I did an Amazon search and could not believe the prices!  I'm a little nervous with a straight razor for him.  Any ideas?

Fireman

• Bristles
Re: Electric Razor Help
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 04:10:36 PM »
Not sure about electric razors as I haven't used one since college but...safety razors are just that.  I've gotten a couple nicks and slices but nothing that didn't heal in a few days.  That being said, quality disposable razor cartridges are fucking expensive.  I use Gillette Fusion razors which will run you about $4-5 a cartridge.  If you buy in bulk at Costco, they usually sell for $48 for 16 ($3) but often there's a coupon to get 4 cans of shaving gel for free (vs $9) if you buy both.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 04:40:05 PM »
When I was a teenager I started off with an electric razor until I was comfortable with putting a blade to my face.  You can get real complicated with electric razors and it doesn't have to be.  If you're looking at cost an electric will probably be better over the long run, but it will also depend on what kind of skin he has (smooth, rough, acne?).  I prefer the closeness of a metal razor, but I also have easy skin to shave.  I can make those expensive Mach 3 blades go a hell of a lot longer than recommended, but some friends with rougher skin go through them quickly.  Those guys have the added difficulty that the average electric razor won't shave close enough for them.

Emg03063

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 09:51:35 AM »
Craigslist.  New in box Norelco shaver - $20.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 09:32:26 AM »
I've been using a double edged safety razor for a couple years now.  The handles can be had for 20-30$, and replacement blades run about 5 cents.  You don't need a fancy brush or fancy soap.  Works just fine with bargain basement shaving cream.

FWIW, many men don't like electric razors as they pull the facial hair and cause a lot of irritation.  At least they did for me.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 04:02:16 PM »
A beard trimmer with no guard. Not smooth but it's cheap!

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 04:59:55 PM »
A beard trimmer with no guard. Not smooth but it's cheap!

+1

Works better with blonde or light colored hair.