Author Topic: First crockpot - should I be worried about shattering lids?  (Read 15787 times)

monkeytree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
First crockpot - should I be worried about shattering lids?
« on: October 19, 2015, 08:43:07 AM »
I'm in the market for my first crockpot which I was pretty excited about....until I read some reviews about shattering lids that throw small pieces of glass everywhere. Just wanted to see if these were just super rare occurrences, if they're limited to certain brands, if anyone's actually experienced this, etc. I've read some of the past crockpot-related posts on here before, but don't remember reading anything about this issue. This has ALMOST convinced me to not even buy one....with a little kid around, I can't even imagine what that situation could look like... but then again everyone seems to own one...so it can't be THAT common, right??

Also, if I do get one, I'm debating between the Hamilton Beach Set and Forget or the Cuisinart MSC-600 based on the online reviews. The Cuisinart is pricier, but has a browning feature so it seems easier to do all the cooking in one appliance, saving time, etc. Also, HB (and the Crockpot brand) are the ones that seemed to have the bulk of the shattering lid problem. But then again, this is my first one, so do I need something that fancy? I'm really hoping to get a lot of use out of it to minimize cooking time after I get home from work and don't feel like doing anything. Looking to get a 6-qt one...how many meals can I expect to get out of this size?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: First crockpot - should I be worried about shattering lids?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 08:55:11 AM »
In 10+ years of using my crock-pots a few times a week I've never had a lid shatter.  I've never heard of anyone else's shattering except when dropped.  The lids should be tempered glass  ('pyrex' style) and shoudn't ever shatter at the temperatures used in a crock-pot.  DON'T wash a hot lid with ice-cold water... let it cool to room temperature and/or use warm water to wash.
If a lid DOES shatter the protocol is fairly simple - throw out that batch of food (never, ever serve food where glass shards is a concern).  Since this should never happen under normal operation I don't think it is an issue at all.

As for models - meh, I have two crock-pots (I sometimes "double-barrel" things to cook-and-freeze) both cost less than $40. The browning feature might be nice but to me the hassle of washing an extra 10" skillet is almost nil and probably easier than removing the insert to/from the stove.  I would recommend an oval one vs a round one (roasts fit better with more liquid-to-surface contact).  A cooking timer is also a great feature so that things don't overcook if you are delayed at work.  YOu can get around this with a cheap appliance timer (the kind used to turn lights on/off when you are away on vacation).

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 09:01:20 AM »
Have used crockpots since childhood.  Have never had a lid shatter.

tthree

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 09:04:00 AM »
I have never heard of a crockpot lid shattering.  Granted I am not using a new model, rather an old "Crockpot" brand one I bought for $5 used.

dramaman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 09:16:28 AM »
Never had a problem or heard of anyone having a problem with a lid shattering.

There are two features of my current crockpot that I find essential. The first is a built-in timer so that the pot will automatically set from High or Medium to Warm after a number of hours (very handy when needing to set the pot cooking early in the morning and not coming back until late afternoon). The second is a lid that has clamps to seal to the pot, which helps avoid spillage when transporting cooked meals in a car.

COlady

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 09:17:57 AM »
When I was in college I was catrying a crock pot down our front steps and I slipped on a dew covered step. I landed on top of the crock pot and lid. It made a shattering sound qnd I was so scared to look, I thought I had massive injuries. Much to my surprise, the Los was tempered glass and broke into a a million squares. You'll be fine!

katesilvergirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 09:21:35 AM »
I too had never heard of a crock pot lid shattering until yesterday - when my crock pot lid shattered (we have a 7-quart Crock Pot). The chili had been on high for about three hours and we had just returned home when we heard a muffled popping sound (like a bean exploding in the microwave) and saw that the crock pot lid had completely shattered, but was still held in place by the metal rim. We managed to carefully slide the lid off the top without any glass falling off it - but we were pretty confused. We've made chili 20 times in that crock pot and never had a problem. The only thing we can think of is that maybe the cool air from the front door hit it (it was 45-50 degrees outside)?

Apparently this is a real thing - but I can't imagine it happens very often. It didn't explode or fly anywhere though. Worst case scenario would be that we lost our batch of chili (which we didn't).

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 09:26:48 AM »
My old Crock Pot (a hand-me-down from my mom) has a plastic lid. No shattering there!

I heard that modern slow cookers aren't as good because the low setting isn't actually as low as it was on the old ones due to food safety concerns. Can anyone corroborate (or refute) that?

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 10:08:59 AM »
Wow, I've never heard of this. I've had mine (6qt Crockpot) for about two years and probably use it 6-8 times a month and I've never had a problem. Granted, I only cook on low (out of the house for work or overnight) but I suppose it's something to keep in mind. I'll make sure my kitchen window is shut when I use it in the coming freezing months.

I heard that modern slow cookers aren't as good because the low setting isn't actually as low as it was on the old ones due to food safety concerns. Can anyone corroborate (or refute) that?

I've heard this too. I never had food cooked in a slow cooker until I bought one and made it myself, but I'll say my food is pretty damn good :)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »

I've heard this too. I never had food cooked in a slow cooker until I bought one and made it myself, but I'll say my food is pretty damn good :)
Not sure about the older slow-cookers, but the FDA recommends that cooked foods stay at or above 140ºF until serving - so that appears to be what the "warm" function on my crockpot will keep liquids at.  unfortuantly at that temperature proteins continue to cook and if it stays on "warm" for a few extra hours everything gets overcooked.
www.fda.gov/downloads/food/guidanceregulation/ucm106217.ppt

I get around that sometimes by putting my crockpot insert (with all the ingredients) in the fridge overnight.  In the morning I set up the crockpot with a 'delayed-start' a few hours later.  That way it ends it's 'cooking' closer to when i actually plan on eating dinner.  works brilliantly.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 10:25:47 AM »
I too had never heard of a crock pot lid shattering until yesterday - when my crock pot lid shattered (we have a 7-quart Crock Pot). The chili had been on high for about three hours and we had just returned home when we heard a muffled popping sound (like a bean exploding in the microwave) and saw that the crock pot lid had completely shattered, but was still held in place by the metal rim. We managed to carefully slide the lid off the top without any glass falling off it - but we were pretty confused. We've made chili 20 times in that crock pot and never had a problem. The only thing we can think of is that maybe the cool air from the front door hit it (it was 45-50 degrees outside)?

Apparently this is a real thing - but I can't imagine it happens very often. It didn't explode or fly anywhere though. Worst case scenario would be that we lost our batch of chili (which we didn't).

I am very interested to hear this.  If I understand correctly you have a Crock Pot brand crockpot (silly way to put it but you know what I mean).  My next question is:  How old is it?  I am wondering if there is a certain era I should avoid.

Jesstache

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 10:38:51 AM »
Well this is interesting and not something I had ever considered would happen.  I have two crock pots that I use multiple times a week and have been for over 10 years with no lid shattering issues.  The browning feature sounds like a waste of money also as there are very few recipes I've ever used that would require this and I would actually avoid that type of recipe as the whole point of a crock pot is EASY meals with as little effort as possible (ha!).  Even having to brown meat sounds like too much effort compared to the 30 other recipes I have that don't require it. 

I'd look for the following features (similar to others mentioned above):

1. Large in size
2. Programmable/Delay start
3. Lock on lid feature if you think you'll need to transport food in the crock.

Seems like the last one I got, as a Christmas present from my parents, had all these features and cost ~$30.  I couldn't even tell you want brand it is though and I look at it almost every day lol.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 11:46:16 AM »
I got so interested in the shattering question that I forgot what I came here to post which is this:  I suggest that you buy your first slow cooker in a thrift store.  You can find them for about $5.00 in my part of the country.  After you have used it for a while you will have a better idea of what you want and can make a more intelligent decision.  Full disclosure:  All my slow cookers except one which was a Christmas gift came from the thrift store and I have been completely satisfied.

katesilvergirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 12:29:12 PM »
I am very interested to hear this.  If I understand correctly you have a Crock Pot brand crockpot (silly way to put it but you know what I mean).  My next question is:  How old is it?  I am wondering if there is a certain era I should avoid.
[/quote]

Yes, it is a Crock Pot brand, and we got it as a wedding gift, new, about 4 years ago.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 01:30:33 PM »
I got so interested in the shattering question that I forgot what I came here to post which is this:  I suggest that you buy your first slow cooker in a thrift store.  You can find them for about $5.00 in my part of the country.  After you have used it for a while you will have a better idea of what you want and can make a more intelligent decision.  Full disclosure:  All my slow cookers except one which was a Christmas gift came from the thrift store and I have been completely satisfied.

SECONDED. There are always at least 3 Crockpots at every thrift store I visit and they almost all work just fine.

Protip: Save your receipt when buying electronics and appliances at Goodwill. If they don't work, you can bring them back for an exchange (not a refund).

Long story short, I bought a 4-quart Proctor-Silex generic "slow cooker" at a thrift store and I adore it. It's perfect for our purposes. It doesn't have a timer but I have a separate plug-in appliance timer that I use to turn it off when desired.

Meanwhile, I did have a shattered lid, BUT:

(a) It was because my two-year-old got it out of the cabinet and then dropped it. It did that thing that auto-glass does where it cracks all over but holds together. Child was not damaged. :)
(b) I was easily able to order just a replacement lid from the manufacturer.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 01:40:00 PM »
A caution most people will not like is that crockpots are potential fire hazards.   A certain percentage of all electronics eventually fail.   

It is not safe to leave your crockpot unattended for extended periods.   I realize most people will ignore this. (hell I even leave coals warm in my fires)

In that case be sure to elevate your pot on a stone type spacer or set the crock pot on a stove top, granite or marble for enhanced safety.   

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 03:37:03 PM »
P.S. Thanks for this thread. It inspired me to get out a slow-cooker cookbook and put a Tuscan white bean dish together for tonight's dinner.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 03:45:50 PM »
If you are willing to drop the change for the Cuisinart, may I suggest and InstantPot instead?  It is way more versatile, has a saute function so you can brown foods, but is also a steamer, rice cooker, pressure cooker and even makes yogurt.  Plus the lid is metal, so it definitely won't shatter.

With that said, I have a regular CrockPot from CostCo and the glass lid doesn't seem prone to shattering and I've never had a problem, and am not particularly careful with the lid.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 04:57:24 PM »
Get one from the thrift store.

I have been getting by for several years with the spare one my mother had in her laundry closet. (She had an oval AND a round one, and gave me the round one.) And I use it a lot--sometimes several days in a row. Got split pea soup in it right now.

I am thinking of upgrading it now because even after 6 hours on high or 10 on low, black beans are still a little firmer than I would like even if I have soaked them. And my model is not programmable--there is no delay, and it has exactly 4 options (4 or 6 hours high, 8 or 10 on low), whereas some recipes cook faster than that. But... it took me YEARS to get to that point. Definitely try out whatever you can find and then you'll have a better idea of how you actually use it.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 05:48:04 PM »
I had an old Crockpot brand crockpot for years...gave it away when we moved out-of-state because I wanted a bigger, oval one with the locking lid for car transport. The new (about 2yrs. old) one is a Hamilton Beach. I've never had a lid shatter, nor have I ever heard of it happening to anybody else.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2015, 12:28:54 AM »
Never had it happen and never heard of it in decades of regular use of various brands of slow cookers.

The new ones are much hotter on warm, and it's inconvenient but likely safer. I get around the problem of longer cook times by using a timer to delay start, and I make.that safe(r) by starting with frozen ingredients (or by cooking vegan).

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2015, 07:44:43 AM »
We recently bought a new one because our old one broke.

We got the super basic model with no timers, no nothing.  I use an appliance timer to set it to start after a delay, and cook until we want to eat.  Works fine.

I've never even heard of the shattering lid thing.  I have shattered 2 pyrex baking dishes.  One was an older one (~8 years) that I had used constantly, and then one tiem I roasted veggies in it, and it shattered in the oven.  That was freaky.  The other, I stupidly put cold water on a hot pan.  My fault.

The clamp on lid does sound intriguing, but honestly I can't even remember the last time I took my crock pot somewhere. 

monkeytree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2015, 08:01:50 AM »
I would totally consider getting one from a thrift store, but the shattering lid potential kind of makes me want to buy new to have at least some sort of assurance that I can get a replacement relatively easily if it happens. Although I guess if I'm paying $5 for something, even if it breaks, it's not a big deal.

Also, I'm not really worried about shattered glass ruining my food...it's more the potential injuries. I'm a little more reassured hearing that the glass breaks but stays in the lid as opposed to flying everywhere.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 08:05:32 AM by monkeytree »

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2015, 11:59:05 AM »

Also, if I do get one, I'm debating between the Hamilton Beach Set and Forget or the Cuisinart MSC-600 based on the online reviews. The Cuisinart is pricier, but has a browning feature so it seems easier to do all the cooking in one appliance, saving time, etc. Also, HB (and the Crockpot brand) are the ones that seemed to have the bulk of the shattering lid problem. But then again, this is my first one, so do I need something that fancy? I'm really hoping to get a lot of use out of it to minimize cooking time after I get home from work and don't feel like doing anything. Looking to get a 6-qt one...how many meals can I expect to get out of this size?

I had a HB one, it was fine, just 80s ugly and you couldn't lift out the pot to wash it.  I found a nice Cuisinart one on sale at Tuesday Morning. 6qts, ceramic pot that is removable, dishwasher safe and it looks like a regular ceramic dish so you can put it on the table and it looks nice.  More features.  We feed 4 easily with leftovers, would probably feed 6-8.