Author Topic: First bike  (Read 3247 times)

Beckyemerson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
First bike
« on: December 30, 2013, 11:22:58 AM »
My five year old seems ready to upgrade from a balance bike to the real deal. Should I get one at target or take him to a bike shop to pick out a nice one?

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
Re: First bike
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 01:21:53 PM »
Reminds me of this old MMM blog post: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/08/29/a-wealthy-future-for-junior-money-mustache/

Generally you should be able to find whatever bike you need on the used market. Kids' bikes are quite common.

lackofstache

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 01:27:56 PM »
Get a used Target level bike. It won't last long unless you've got several more kids waiting for it. You should be able to sell it in 2 years for roughly what it costs you now. Once they get to needing bikes with derailleurs I'd move on to a higher quality, but I'd still buy used and just take to a bike shop to get it tuned.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 02:03:46 PM »
Big box stores bikes are generally junk that won't last long, but since it's a kids bike, do try and find a used one. Ideally one that was ridden once then sat in someone's garage for years. Add a little chain oil and you'll be good until your kid outgrows it.

sfsellin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 02:14:06 PM »
After working at a bike shop for a number a years, I really cannot recommend any department store bike. The same people that build patio furniture and grills are building your son's bike. We've seen forks on backwards, brakes barely working etc-- all brand new from the shop. Getting a Trek Jet 20 or something similar on Craigslist would be a much safer bet than buying a Target bike. At most, you're looking at a $25 tune up from a local shop if it needs a minor adjustment. If you do end up with the department store purchase, just make sure you check it over very carefully. (ie: brakes, loose headset, tighten everything you can easily get to, check tire pressure)

Beckyemerson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 06:44:39 AM »
Thank you to everyone who responded, especially granteckman. I searched craigslist for a trek jet (which looks like just the right size for my son). I found several options ranging in price from $50 to $100. For target's price I can get a much better bike!

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 01:10:29 PM »
Sounds great! My son has a Trek too while I ride a Giant. These brands will be better than any dept store BSO (bicycle shaped object). Difference is enormous between a used Trek and new BSO. Hope your kid will enjoy the bike...as they say, the family that cycles together stays together :)