Author Topic: FIREd with no other income source besides the 4%? I want to hear about it!  (Read 3766 times)

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
Anyone here FIREd without a side gig?  Most FIREd PF personalities we know and love have income from these side endeavors, whether it's real estate or blogging income.  We don't really plan on having any of that, just our portfolio.  Does anyone here actually rely on 4% of their portfolio as their only source of income and live a life of total leisure, void of any paid work?  How is it panning out so far?

Disclaimer, I don't plan to sit on my ass and do nothing after I stop working, but I won't be looking to do anymore paid work.  I'm thinking hiking, sailing, snowboarding, reading, traveling, volunteering, actually having all the laundry done and clean house, spending time with my partner and kids, etc.  Also, acknowledging that the PF personalities are such due to side endeavors which make them visible.  I get that and that's why I am asking the less visible folks of this forum.

If this has already been asked my unfruitful attempts at searching this forum missed it, please post a link!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 01:25:10 PM by catccc »

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Well... you can hang out in the FIRE'd section of the forum and see what people post about.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
Doh!  Didn't even think to visit/post there!  Heading over.  Can a mod move this?  Should I repost?

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
Thanks Chuck!

flyingaway

• Bristles
Some people may live on their investment only, but very few would do it just at the 4% level. That would be more stressful than most jobs.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Some people may live on their investment only, but very few would do it just at the 4% level. That would be more stressful than most jobs.

What do you mean by that?  It is pretty common for people to target a 3.5-4% withdrawal rate.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
I am like 2.5% - 3% spend rate, been FIREd for over 3 years, and husband FIREd about 1.5 years now. No side gigs or other sources of income.

Our net worth has increased significantly and the drawdown percentage rate keeps ticking down...

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache

Really, that should not be stressful.  Let me direct you to this thread:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/stop-worrying-about-the-4-rule/

Count me among those who plan to FIRE solely on my stash using the 4% rule for the first 15 years of FIRE.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
Ptf, but ~3% withdrawals at current
95% equity valuations.  Croak in place house payed for.
Have SS and small (size~SS)pensions not included.
YMMV

Case

• Pencil Stache
Anyone here FIREd without a side gig?  Most FIREd PF personalities we know and love have income from these side endeavors, whether it's real estate or blogging income.  We don't really plan on having any of that, just our portfolio.  Does anyone here actually rely on 4% of their portfolio as their only source of income and live a life of total leisure, void of any paid work?  How is it panning out so far?

Disclaimer, I don't plan to sit on my ass and do nothing after I stop working, but I won't be looking to do anymore paid work.  I'm thinking hiking, sailing, snowboarding, reading, traveling, volunteering, actually having all the laundry done and clean house, spending time with my partner and kids, etc.  Also, acknowledging that the PF personalities are such due to side endeavors which make them visible.  I get that and that's why I am asking the less visible folks of this forum.

If this has already been asked my unfruitful attempts at searching this forum missed it, please post a link!

I think this is a great topic.  The possibility of retiring to experience life without the need  to be working for money is a fascinating concept.  Lots of people hear retire with side gigs, which is a form of retirement but is different.  MMM likes to call people who question this ‘complainy pants’, which i get, but i also thinking this is a cheap diversion to a serious topic.  The topic is: what is the difference in experience, freedom, etc... when one learns to live to experience life rather than relying on the positive feedback loop of being ‘productive’.  Do we need to work (for profit) to be happy?  Can MMM and others legitimately address this topic when they they still work for the almighty dollar?  Even if they don’t need it?  MMM at least donates a good chunk of his money which pretty well legitimizes him on this topic.

I have only seen this addressed by living Afi, one of the very few blogs i like, and it was super interesting.  Unfortunately he went missing, though has recently resurfaced...

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
So there are a few out there!  Glad to hear it is working for you guys!

Like Case mentioned, I really like the idea of just doing what I want and not working on a side gig or feeling obligated to hustle.  I do think I could feel productive and feel like I was living a life with purpose without paid work, which is why I'm planning for such a future.