Author Topic: Fire extinguisher  (Read 4312 times)

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
Fire extinguisher
« on: April 08, 2016, 05:07:02 PM »
Hi Folks,

do you have a fire extinguisher(s) in your home, and if yes - a) how many (probably depends on number of levels), b) what kind, c) special for kitchen with "K" in model number that is better than typical ABC one for oil/grease fires?
Thanks!

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Fire extinguisher
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 08:57:58 PM »
Two, one in the kitchen and one near the woodstove.  Neither is fancy, we bought both at Lowe's, pretty standard units.  I don't think either has a "K" designation, but I'd have to get off the couch to tell you for sure, and you know, it's the weekend ...

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 10:36:09 PM »
I have one intended for kitchen use in the kitchen. If you count the attached garage as part of the house, then I can count a second one in my vehicle. Between them I am probably ready for any fire that an ordinary citizen can be expected to extinguish.

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 07:18:01 AM »
The most I ever had was four. Kitchen, garage, utility room, vehicle. I used one up when my grill had a grease fire (I had not learned to properly clean it yet).

I found that you should always have at least two. If you only have one, then you might be hesitant to use it on a small fire because you might want to "save" it for a "real emergency." Hogwash.... if you have an unplanned fire that's bigger than a candle flame, you grab that thing. They are cheap insurance!

Today I have two.... BC and ABC. I think that's sufficient.

tobitonic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 08:04:02 AM »
We have 3 (one on each floor).

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 08:11:29 AM »
Make sure you get at least a 10lb one. Anything less does not have enough chemical for a lay person to put out even a small fire. The place I buy mine from will refill them for free if used to put out a fire OR if used in 'training' persons in the household. If you've never discharged one, I would suggest getting some practice; putting out a fire is not an easy skill.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 08:21:38 AM »
Applying the mustaschian principle of using muscle over machine I carry a variable-capacity internal fire extinguisher with me at all times and wherever I go.

And I have used it on fires; I'll warrant a lot more often than the fancy wall-hangers mentioned above, albeit with limited success in putting the fire completely out.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 08:39:06 AM »
Applying the mustaschian principle of using muscle over machine I carry a variable-capacity internal fire extinguisher with me at all times and wherever I go.

And I have used it on fires; I'll warrant a lot more often than the fancy wall-hangers mentioned above, albeit with limited success in putting the fire completely out.

Are your referring to this apparatus?

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 09:02:07 AM »
No.... go lower.

Kforest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 05:09:46 PM »
Fire extinguishers are people's first defense against a fire catastrophe. No doubt they are important. A quick search yielded many options for aquiring fire safety equipment, like this https://www.yellowpages.com/kennesaw-ga/mip/orion-fire-systems-543734740.

I have three extinguishers in my house... Kind of paranoid because I've seen first hand how devistating a house fire can be. Check with a local resource and get a 10lb ABC.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!