Author Topic: Finding Balance at Work Between Improvements & Caring v Not Giving a F*#k  (Read 3217 times)

epower

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
In my current work, I get satisfaction after completing side projects that help to make the department of my company work more efficiently, save the company costs, etc.

However, trying to deal with other departments, the constant struggle to get these improvements across the line, etc I just can't be bothered with sometimes. My manager is grooming me to take over his role as a warehousing/distribution manager which involves leading a team of 8 permanent staff plus several other contractors.

My current role as floor manager/2IC managing our permanent staff members is just so stressful all the time and many days I wish I was just one of the labourers that I manage as they have little/no stress and no responsibilities, just turn up, follow basic instruction, chat amongst themselves during the day, never work longer than their structured hours and then go home without worry. I wish I was more like that.

But then there is the 80k salary I'm currently on vs their 40k salary.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
Yeah . . . I used to have this crazy little daydream about waiting tables at the Perkins down the road instead of my stressful job. And my boss confessed that he would sometimes daydream about being one of the roadside lawnmower guys.

All you can do is remind yourself not to take the job too seriously, and that you have a "dream job" as far as a lot of people are concerned.

One of my friends works as a roofer . . . he is always asking me about my job . . . one time I said "why do you always ask me about work? I don't want to talk about my work all the time" to which he said "but your job is so great! I'm on a roof in the hot sun all day." And all I could say is "Okay, I see your point."

And so, on the mornings I'm particularly annoyed about something work-related, perhaps even losing sleep about it the night before, I am always sure to take the back route through the worst part of town. That always makes me happy I even have a job . . .

lukebuz

• Stubble
Amen.  I think the same thing every day.  If they didn't pay me so well...I'd go back to an entry level job, with few worries...

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
And my boss confessed that he would sometimes daydream about being one of the roadside lawnmower guys.
I told my wife last night that I'd rather mow grass all day than do my current job.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
And my boss confessed that he would sometimes daydream about being one of the roadside lawnmower guys.
I told my wife last night that I'd rather mow grass all day than do my current job.

If I could make what I do now mowing grass, I'd probably do it.  Its so satisfying to take a scruffy, uncut lawn and transform it into a freshly mowed lawn in less than an hour. 

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
Grass always looks greener on the other side...

Sorry can't help it since we all are talking about mowing grass :)

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
Every month or two I wish I would have skipped college and become an electrician.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
Not much advice here, but DH struggles with this, except that he makes ~$10 an hour at a coffee shop.  He wants the shop to do well but a lot of the staff there don't take the job seriously.  He takes pride in his work and can't half-ass things.  It gets very frustrating for him that he cares so much to improve the place, but he often wishes he were just another lemming.  So if you think you want to quit your higher paying office job and just work at a simple job like food service... the grass might not be greener than it appears.

On the flip side, I do purposefully avoid any managing responsibilities at my job.  My career has spanned 14 years now and I've been a senior accountant for 12 of them.  In my very first senior accountant role, I did manage a small staff, and it was okay, but I just like the ease of what I'm doing now.  It's so easy, in fact, that come FI, it will be hard to leave it for RE.  Probably will restructure my schedule, more telecommuting, part-time work, etc.

spokey doke

• Pencil Stache
  • Escaped from the ivory tower basement
Some resources:

https://www.amazon.com/Subtle-Art-Not-Giving-Counterintuitive/dp/0062457713

The topic of the above book discussed on a podcast here:

http://www.ttbook.org/book/frankly-i-dont-give-damn

Finally, Buddhism speaks to this issue.