Author Topic: Finding an apartment  (Read 3704 times)

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
Finding an apartment
« on: November 28, 2014, 06:26:15 AM »
We're planning on selling our home next year, or at least putting it on the market, and then going to an apartment. More than likely we will remain in this area for 3 to 4 years. Thus there's no urgent reason to sell if we can't get our price.

That leads to my question. How do we find an apartment? We have done the typical Internet searches and it seems like the majority, if not all, end up being low income housing. However, that's not specified on their website. We would actually like to find senior rentals. I have talked to a couple realtors but they just want to sell condos or Villas. I am not opposed to renting a condo or Villa  but I do not want to rent a house.

Any suggestions?

surfhb

Re: Finding an apartment
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 07:49:09 AM »
Where do you live and what's your budget?

Try craigslist

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 08:38:23 AM »
We live in Florida. I'd like to find an apartment around $600-$800, but we could definitely afford more. I just prefer to be a little more conservative in the early years of our semi-retirement.

I didn't think about checking craigslist. Thanks for the suggestion
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 08:42:07 AM by Workinghard »

SporeSpawn

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 08:44:30 AM »
Look for any apartment finder services in your area. If you are in a city of appreciable size, then you most likely have at least one.

From my experience with them, these guys are often free and pretty efficient at locating within your parameters. I've always had them come back with exactly within my budget in just the right sort of area I asked for. Of course, you'll still need to use your own discretion to weed the choices they provide (they exist to narrow down your choices, not make them for you, and if they try to go salesman and make them for you, it's your job not to fall for it), but they are helpful.

Some caution though. First off, as I said, I've always found these services to be offered for free. Of course, some will demand fees. Look for the free ones if you can, but understand that the free ones are going to be sponsored by the real estate of the local area most likely. After all, they aren't doing this out of the kindness of their heart. The apartments are paying them to bring people to the lease. In other words, again, you'll need to use your discretion to determine if the apartment fits you.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 09:07:10 AM »
I used Craigslist to find apartments before I bought a house.  You can usually get some good deals that way.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 12:47:31 AM »
I found two apartments in a hot market, by driving around and going into those with for rent signs or places I liked the look of and talking to the manager.

I present well, so got on a list of people called back when vacancy was available.  I think some do not advertise a lot if the place is popular, as walk up can be judged by looks and credit references, without no shows to Craigslist ads.

Private condo rentals are usually only by ads on Craigslist or apartment finders.

Second, look up three major property manager firms in your area.  They can maintain their own website of what is available that month, or you can ask to be on their list too.
 Also, post this question on the landlord thread.

You should get great FL specific responses to you question there!

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 02:44:43 AM »
Thanks for the ideas and suggestions. I really appreciate it. Although we're going to live in this area for a few more years, we still want to put our house on the market.

Cost comparison of house vs apartment is about the same. However, if we can come close to our asking price, I would just as soon sell and not feel pressured later on.

There seems to be a LOT of low income apartments in our area and its hard separating those out. I work this weekend but will start checking out some of the suggestions next week. Thank you again.