Author Topic: Finding a Good Leather Chair That's Not $1,500  (Read 4617 times)

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
Finding a Good Leather Chair That's Not $1,500
« on: August 27, 2015, 08:53:24 AM »
I'm on a hunt to find a good leather chair for reading but I don't want to spend $1k+. Looking for club chair size, can't be too big.

We have one that we got at Marshall's or some discount store like that, several years ago. It was $200. It looks great, and is the perfect size, but feels like crap. It said on the tag it was real leather but I don't believe it. It's not nearly as comfortable as my parents' real top grain leather chair, or the kind you find in a country club. Something like:

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/cameron-leather-roll-arm-armchair/?pkey=coccasional-chairs%7Cleather-occasional-chairs%7C&&coccasional-chairs|leather-occasional-chairs|
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/irving-professor-leather-armchair/?pkey=coccasional-chairs%7Cleather-occasional-chairs%7C&&coccasional-chairs|leather-occasional-chairs|
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/jean-armchair/?pkey=coccasional-chairs%7Cleather-occasional-chairs%7C&&coccasional-chairs|leather-occasional-chairs|
https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2702026&categoryId=cat1537048

I was at a children's museum and they had red leather chairs all over the place for parents to sit in. They were pretty comfortable. At the bottom of the chair it said it was from World Market bit it's apparently not made anymore. The UPS code I googled gave me World Market Cardiff Red Leather Chair. Anywhoos, I went to World Market and sat it this http://www.worldmarket.com/product/espresso-mason-bi-cast-leather-chair.do?&from=fn and it was pretty comfortable. Anyone know if bi-cast leather is worth it however?

I may just have to wait for a steal on craigslist if there's just no way to get a quality, comfortable leather chair for around $500-600.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
Re: Finding a Good Leather Chair That's Not $1,500
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 09:07:15 AM »
I got one with a matching ottoman for $150 at a local second-hand thrift store. It's good to find which of your local stores tends to have decent stuff and then visit it from time to time when you're looking for something specific.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 09:11:09 AM by neogodless »

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 09:09:48 AM »
If you live in or near a city, especially one with colleges, check the free section and the furniture section of Craigslist now through September 1. There are likely a lot of people rushing to move and doing anything to get rid of their stuff regardless of how much they lose on it.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 09:11:28 AM »
I'm on a hunt to find a good leather chair for reading but I don't want to spend $1k+. Looking for club chair size, can't be too big.
I may just have to wait for a steal on craigslist if there's just no way to get a quality, comfortable leather chair for around $500-600.
This.  I actually bought a Potterybarn leather chair on CL a few years back for $200, and it looked barely used.  Patience is your best friend here - people move, remodel and consolidate homes all the time and jettison perfectly good furniture for pennies on the dollar.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 09:31:07 AM »
Our CostCo sofa is only leather in the seating area.  The rest is matching brown plastic.  That cuts the price significantly without harming the look or feel.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 10:00:09 AM »
I got one with a matching ottoman for $150 at a local second-hand thrift store.

Hey!  I think I own the couch that originally was sold with that matching chair!  Also got it at a thrift store. 

If you have decent thrift stores in your area, that's the place to start.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 10:39:00 AM »
I have a chair that is faux leather & looks really nice. Paid $200 at big lots about 6 years ago & still going strong. I sit in it everyday.  Shortly after I bought it-it went on sale for $60-ugh!!

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 12:17:59 PM »
We paid a similar amount for a leather recliner at a thrift store. It was really nice to sit in it for awhile to make sure they were comfy before buying.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 12:20:49 PM by Genevieve »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!