Author Topic: Finding *good* free books for Kindle  (Read 5094 times)

El Gringo

• Bristles
Finding *good* free books for Kindle
« on: December 09, 2013, 01:21:06 PM »
Does anybody know of a good website that let's you know about good books that are temporarily free on Amazon? Sometimes books have promotions and are free. I've signed up for several different daily emails that highlight books that are free on Kindle. Unfortunately though, there's a lot of self-published crap to shift through. I'd love to find a website that ignores all the crap and instead shows you a book that is high quality and is usually $10 (or more), but for one day you can download it for free.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 01:23:46 PM by El Gringo »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Re: Finding *good* free books for Kindle
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 01:29:31 PM »
I don't know of a site that does quite exactly what you're looking for, but I suggest you look at your local library and see if they have an overdrive library. If your local library's overdrive collection is a little thin, try asking your relatives who live in different areas with access to other public libraries, you can easily build a small collection of overdrive logins and find TONS of books to borrow.

Some states like California or Massachussetts even let people get a membership card (and thus overdrive access) as long as they live in the state.

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 01:39:51 PM »
That's a tough one.  I've been pinning any free e-book sites that I come across on my library's Pinterest site, but they really just seem to be picking ones off the kindle top 100 free list.  There really is a lot of self-published stuff that needs a good editing, at the very least!

Let's see, there are always the classics that are out of copyright.  Gutenberg.org is working on those, and there are lots already on Amazon.  You can lend books to others.  Try to find friends and create a lending circle to share the books you already own.  If you have Prime, you can borrow one Prime listed book per month, I believe.

I tend to just scan the top 100 free list once per day or so, to see what is new that has popped up.  I do use overdrive thru the library, too.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 01:52:28 PM »
I use bookgorilla.  You are right that there is a lot of garbage, but I have found some really excellent books and authors that way.  I don't mind deleting a few free books after a chapter or two if it means I find some gems occasionally.  I also follow the authors I like on facebook and they will publicize when they have free books available, so I find out about a lot of them that way.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 01:55:29 PM »
Let me second the library option; I get pretty much everything I want that way. Classics, though, I get directly from Project Gutenberg.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 02:11:41 PM »
Not quite free, but if you merge your wishlist onto EReaderIQ, it will alert you if the price drops to a price you set. I've gotten 2 books from my wishlist for $2.99 this week.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 02:33:24 PM »
Project Gutenberg. There are many classics I'm sure you've yet to read!

El Gringo

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 02:50:58 PM »
Thanks guys! I meant to include in my original post that I was already aware of OverDrive and the free classics, but then I forgot. But thanks for chipping in!

MissStache - I wasn't familiar with bookgorilla, gonna give that a shot!
mlipss - I had no idea you could do that with EReaderIQ! Thanks so much for that tip!

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 03:53:41 PM »
I am always on the hunt for free/cheap e-books myself! I actually go the other direction--I keep a reading list and then it helps me scan very quickly through the free/reduced offerings for what I want to read. And in the "not quite free" area, Amazon does a Kindle Daily Deal newsletter where I have found some histories and novels that are too long to finish in the library loan period (and books my library doesn't have in either format) for less than I could get them at my local used bookstore.

Also, if you are interested in a particular genre, you might look for a blog or e-newsletter on that genre that does a "book deals" feature. I have found some great books that way.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 06:07:50 PM »
I've gotten free Kindle books from this site.

http://www.squidoo.com/the-best-of-amazon-daily-free-ebooks-kindle-ipad

I do have to say though most of the ones I've read have not been keepers or ones that I'd recommend.   

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 06:12:37 PM »
Another bookgorilla.com fan here.  I've read lots of great books for free. 

ToeInTheWater

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 06:28:43 PM »
http://www.freereadfeed.com/

can filter by genre, listed in "most recently posted as free" 

b