Author Topic: FinCon 2017 - Anyone thinking of going?  (Read 5536 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
FinCon 2017 - Anyone thinking of going?
« on: January 19, 2017, 08:39:12 PM »
I'm debating if I should go to FinCon.

I keep hearing about it, and a lot of people I like will be there.

Drawbacks: Camp Mustache Canada is the weekend before, so I'd likely have to book it straight from one to the other, which sounds exhausting, and I'd probably be going solo (leaving wife and kid in Canada).

Anyone thinking of going to FinCon?

Looks like there's a sale on their tickets right now that ends in a day, so I don't have a ton of time to decide.

Alternatively: Anyone go before and have a discount code?  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
Re: FinCon 2017 - Anyone thinking of going?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 11:46:03 AM »
Ask Nords, he's a frequent speaker/organizer. 

I'm thinking of going at the 'Basic New Years Rate' ($229 for the next 8 hours - regular price $469)

Contact the organizers, and see if you can get on the list as a Financial Independence speaker, and speak to the role Real Estate has played in your FI journey.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 11:49:57 AM by Mother Fussbudget »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 02:03:45 PM »
Ask Nords, he's a frequent speaker/organizer. 

I'm thinking of going at the 'Basic New Years Rate' ($229 for the next 8 hours - regular price $469)

Yeah, the chance to hang out with Nords (and Pete, and Gwen and other folks) is what has me intrigued.  Jeremy (GCC) won't be there this year; not sure about Brandon (MadFientist), sent him an email.

But that's why I posted this thread--to see if anyone else was thinking of going, or would jump on the current discount that expires today.  :)

Contact the organizers, and see if you can get on the list as a Financial Independence speaker, and speak to the role Real Estate has played in your FI journey.

Looks like they do an open application for speakers (the non-big name ones; the others are already decided).  Not sure yet if I'd be interested in applying for that.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 05:30:45 PM »
Bump.  :)

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 09:58:08 AM »
Bump.  :)
I check in at least every Saturday!

You'd do very well at FinCon with the Bigger Pockets crowd and real estate panel discussions. 

Most of the attendees see the conference as an investment in their business (or side hustle or blog).  I enjoy connecting with military vets and mentoring new bloggers.  I've also spent more time talking about financial independence (panel discussions) and enjoying the sponsor networking.  This year a military entrepreneur extraordinaire is reviving the MilBlogger conference for a couple days before FinCon-- sort of a conference twofer.

It sounds like you're setting yourself up for a travel challenge.  Another option would be attending an informal FinCon meetup in a large city. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 01:02:01 PM »
You'd do very well at FinCon with the Bigger Pockets crowd and real estate panel discussions. 

Most of the attendees see the conference as an investment in their business (or side hustle or blog).  I enjoy connecting with military vets and mentoring new bloggers.  I've also spent more time talking about financial independence (panel discussions) and enjoying the sponsor networking.  This year a military entrepreneur extraordinaire is reviving the MilBlogger conference for a couple days before FinCon-- sort of a conference twofer.

It sounds like you're setting yourself up for a travel challenge.  Another option would be attending an informal FinCon meetup in a large city.

I ended up booking a ticket.

As I told Brandon (who it turns out is going):
I just bought a single ticket for FinCon today after debating for a bit--Ali and Annabelle will stay with the RV and I'll do a quick round trip flight from Toronto to Dallas and back to do FinCon for the weekend.

I'm less interested in the conference (though I do need the motivation to work on the blog*, and that should provide some), but really just want an excuse to hang out with you, Pete, Paula, Gwen, Nords, etc.  :)

I have almost zero interest in printing business cards or growing a blog or anything like that.  I just think it sounds fun to hang out, and decided this is probably likely less of a hassle to attend than the likely average future one will be (with toddler kid(s), who knows where in the world we'll be, etc.).

So I'll see you in Dallas (if not at a CM event before?).

If anyone else is going, please post!   :D

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 02:11:23 PM »
I'll be there. I mean, I bought my ticket, so I'll be there unless I change my mind.

I'm not really interested in promoting my blog either, just hanging out with people. Same reason I went to Camp Mustache in FL last weekend. :)

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 02:16:30 PM »
I've thought about FinCon before, but it seems much more "commercial" than something like camp mustache, and I am fairly allergic to self-promotion - I'm not a "real" blogger. I am putting time toward organizing local meetups this year, and we are going to CM in Seattle again.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 04:58:32 PM »
I'll be there. I mean, I bought my ticket, so I'll be there unless I change my mind.

I'm not really interested in promoting my blog either, just hanging out with people. Same reason I went to Camp Mustache in FL last weekend. :)

Awesome!  I heard great things about CMSE, really cool that you went. 

Looking forward to meeting you at FinCon.  :)

What's your blog (there's no link in sig, you may have posted it somewhere though)?

I've thought about FinCon before, but it seems much more "commercial" than something like camp mustache, and I am fairly allergic to self-promotion - I'm not a "real" blogger. I am putting time toward organizing local meetups this year, and we are going to CM in Seattle again.

Agreed.  The conference part of it has very little interest to me.  But it gathers a bunch of cool people together, so seems worth it.  :)

A bit disappointed it's not in San Diego again, as I missed Nord's surf lessons, but Dallas is neat, too, I've been wanting to visit there.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 05:32:25 PM »
I'm probably going (and don't have blog/side hustle yet)- It being about eight miles from my house helps.   

I want to figure out how to contribute more to this FI movement after I opt out of that full time job next year.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 10:58:06 AM »
I ended up booking a ticket.

I have almost zero interest in printing business cards or growing a blog or anything like that.  I just think it sounds fun to hang out, and decided this is probably likely less of a hassle to attend than the likely average future one will be (with toddler kid(s), who knows where in the world we'll be, etc.).

So I'll see you in Dallas (if not at a CM event before?).

If anyone else is going, please post!   :D
Excellent, see you there!

People will want to know your website or how to reach you, however the cards do get competitive and even silly.  Last year a credit-card blogger had his info printed on actual EMV card stock, right down to the chip.  Another year Stephanie Halligan (an outstanding artist) was hand-crafting her cards and even threatening to draw them on your arm with a Sharpie.  Each year I avoid the business-card competition by simply printing my own from Avery stock. 

I suspect several freelancers and journalists will seek you out for interviews.  You'd also be able to guest on podcasts and videos.

You've pretty much described what I do at both events.  All of FinCon is recorded by a professional video/audio crew, and a month later it's released on YouTube for the attendees (with a password).  That means you can attend the sessions you want without overwhelming yourself, or you can just hang out in a hallway or a lounge with a cup of coffee all day. 

I'm probably going (and don't have blog/side hustle yet)- It being about eight miles from my house helps.   

I want to figure out how to contribute more to this FI movement after I opt out of that full time job next year.
You'll meet plenty of people with ideas about that.  You'll also be able to survey the field and see if there's a particular niche you'd want to get involved in.

I'll see you at CM, and this year my spouse is coming too!

I've been informed that I'm not climbing Mt. Si this year in the same manner I did last year, but at least I've completely healed.  Maybe we're only going up the trail for an hour and then heading back down. 

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 05:19:46 PM »

I've been informed that I'm not climbing Mt. Si this year in the same manner I did last year, but at least I've completely healed.  Maybe we're only going up the trail for an hour and then heading back down. 

Awesome to hear! Did you have prolonged knee issues? Probably best to scale back a bit... but I'll have to find someone new to be "last" with me ;)

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 06:05:00 PM »

Awesome to hear! Did you have prolonged knee issues? Probably best to scale back a bit... but I'll have to find someone new to be "last" with me ;)
I can handle the knee osteoarthritis with ibuprofen (and cushy shoes) but the nasty surprise was pulling a hip flexor.  That took a few painful months to recover, but it's back to full strength.  Surfing physical therapy.

We'll hike up the mountain until testosterone poisoning starts to threaten common sense, and then I'll turn around...

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 07:02:05 PM »
For those of you still on the fence, or if you're wondering just what you've signed up for, Chad Carson of CoachCarson.com has posted this to the FinCon Facebook group:

I wanted to share a recent win for me and point out how helpful FinCon has been. January has been my best month ever at CoachCarson.com after 1.5 years of really trying to grow it. I've had almost 44,000 page views and 1,123 new email subscribers so far this month.

It helped that I've been featured on Rockstar Finance, Business Insider (twice): http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-travel-and-live-off-passive-income-from-real-estate-investing-2017-1  And I did a podcast interview and guest post with the awesome Brandon at the Mad Fientist. But the bigger point is that FinCon has been THE common thread for me in building relationships and knowledge that led to these recent wins.

I'm really appreciative of the advice I've received from Jim Wang, Todd R. Tresidder, Noah Kagan, Chris Peach, Deacon Hayes, Brandon Turner, Joshua Dorkin, Paula Pant, Frugal Woods, Nick Loper, Toni Herrbach Anderson, Carl Jensen, Mindy Jensen, Holly Porter Johnson, Sylvia Moe Inks, Pat Flynn, Steve Chou, Erin Chase, Lance Cothern, Shannon Lally McLay, Joshua Sheats, Jay Monee, Brian Bain, Doug Nordman, Philip Taylor and MANY more. For those new to FinCon, it's an amazing, helpful network of people. You're in the right place.

I can remember talking with Chad at FinCon, and I remember a lot of happy faces, but I have to admit that I don't remember specifically what was said.  It was a very busy week and I drank a lot of coffee.

Personally, I've had a huge growth in social media and new readers (and book sales!) since Brandon's MadFIentist podcasts.  (Both at the live-audience podcast of CM16 Seattle and a separate podcast a few months later.)  If you're not going to be at FinCon then at the very least you should track down Brandon!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 07:32:18 PM »
Agreed, Brandon has a huge reach.

The Business Insider editor contacted me after hearing us on there... and I still got more traffic from Brandon's podcast than I did the BI article.  :)