Author Topic: Finance software for Canadians  (Read 2304 times)

scottish

• Magnum Stache
Finance software for Canadians
« on: December 27, 2014, 11:05:29 AM »
Our options seem to be a bit more limited than in the U.S.

We have a Canadian edition of Quicken.

And Mint has apparently come to Canada.   However giving Mint my account credentials breaks the agreement I have with my bank and broker.   (Is this not also the case in the U.S. though?)   Not that it matters in my case, I'm not willing to give those credentials to a 3rd party.

Does anyone use the Canadian edition of Quicken?      I've read of problems with upgrading, and occasional problems retrieving mutual fund data.     I haven't been able to find detailed descriptions of the features either.   Does it track distributions?    Calculate adjusted cost base?    Compare portfolio performance to benchmarks?

Are there any other options?    Last year I trialed this software:

http://www.investmentaccountmanager.com/

but it was barely functional, so I gave up on it.

thank you!

scrubbyfish

Re: Finance software for Canadians
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
I'm in Canada and went through a similar process.

I started with Quicken -I couldn't quite get the hang of it, it didn't fill me with joy, and a year after my purchase they started one of those sneaky "you didn't expressly opt out via a tiny icon at purchase" monthly fees on my credit card. So, then i didn't really trust them, either.

Then I tried Mint -several issues. Like you said, the whole "violates banking agreement" issue, and -related to that- it couldn't download most of my accounts, lots of glitches.

Then I tried YNAB. I've stuck with YNAB, and continue to love it. I tried it, dropped it, and a couple of years later started up again. This time I've stuck with it for about 10 months so far. I absolutely love it. I used to enter everything manually, now I use the 'Download to Quicken' option on my bank and credit card accounts.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 06:21:08 PM by scrubbyfish »

scottish

• Magnum Stache
Re: Finance software for Canadians
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 03:08:38 PM »
one of these days I will write my own version of mint.com that runs locally

I hear you.  I currently have a bunch of python scripts that scrape yahoo finance for data.   :-)