Author Topic: Finance Book recommendations for new college grads  (Read 3134 times)

greengardens

• Stubble
Finance Book recommendations for new college grads
« on: September 13, 2015, 10:07:39 AM »
My brother recently graduated from college and started his first professional job. I'd like to buy him a book on investing and saving money for his birthday. Any recommendations?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Finance Book recommendations for new college grads
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
Many possibilities.  Perhaps A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton Malkiel. 

See http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/top-3-investing-books/ for others.

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 10:14:13 AM »
I really liked the Common Sense Guide to Investing, but Your Money or Your Life seems to be a far more straightforward concept, IMHO.

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 10:27:45 AM »
I think as a starting point, The Dummies Guide to Personal Finance is not a bad choice.

yourusernamehere

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 11:14:49 AM »
The Automatic Millionaire (David Bach) might be a good choice for someone at the beginning of his career, especially as it goes over opting in for 401k and other benefits early.

Physicsteacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 11:21:45 AM »
I like The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need by Andrew Tobias. It has good advice on budgeting, the advantages low cost index funds, and a decent overview of using various tax advantaged and taxable accounts. It is actually also a fairly entertaining read, making it more likely your brother will actually read it instead of thanking you and then leaving it on the shelf.

bop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 11:35:30 AM »
Consider the booklet If You Can by William Bernstein.  Here's a link (scroll down a bit):
http://efficientfrontier.com/ef/0adhoc/2books.htm.

greengardens

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 07:10:11 PM »
Thanks all! I appreciate all the suggestions. Hardest part will be just choosing one to give him!

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 07:43:59 PM »
I think as a starting point, The Dummies Guide to Personal Finance is not a bad choice.

that book got me started at 22 and I still follow tons of advice that became habits from that book.  Get the one written by Eric Tyson.  Starts with very basic stuff, by the end you are ready to fund your retirement vehicles in Vanguard Index funds.  I like that it teaches basic financial planning that many kids, even college kids, may not know. It's not a hardcore investment book, it's a book that gives you very easy tools and what you need to know about basic financial planning.  Once they've got that down, they can move on to the harder stuff. 

I often give this and another book, like Affluenza as graduation gifts.