Author Topic: File an Insurance Claim or Pay Out of Pocket  (Read 2504 times)

ThePauperOfNorthLake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
File an Insurance Claim or Pay Out of Pocket
« on: December 17, 2016, 01:56:10 AM »
Question for the MMM community:

I scratched a parked Porsche the other week with my car and just received a repair quote from the car owner.  The repair total is $1,700.  Fortunately, I have the liquidity to pay the repair out of pocket.  I no longer have collision or comprehensive coverage on my car and just have the standard $100M/$300M liability coverage (paying about $300/year currently). 

I'm planning to call my insurance company to see if my policy includes accident forgiveness.  But assuming this isn't available, my gut tells me that I should just pay the repair out of pocket and not file a claim because the insurance company will probably raise my rates over time by a present value of greater than $1,700.  Is my thinking correct on this?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: File an Insurance Claim or Pay Out of Pocket
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 02:00:05 AM »
What's your deductible?

Yes, mathematically if (deductible + NPV future rate increases) > 1700, pay the 1700.

You think that will be the case from one claim?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

ThePauperOfNorthLake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 12:27:44 PM »
I don't have a deductible.

However, I'm not sure what to expect in terms of insurance increases. I've never made a claim on the policy and have had it for several years. I would guess if I called my insurance company that they wouldn't be so forthcoming about how much my annual premiums would increase. What would you do in my circumstances?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 12:41:41 PM »

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 01:05:26 PM »
Is there any chance that the car owner could find more damage or claim someone was in the car and is injured?

Mine could reject a liability claim if I haven't told them about the incident.