Author Topic: FIL addicted to bullets - what to do...  (Read 8888 times)

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
FIL addicted to bullets - what to do...
« on: November 14, 2016, 09:29:24 PM »
Just to clear a main point:

I already understand that I cant change him or his behavior, only how I react to it.
Would like some advice on things I can do to at least make my wife feel better.

My father in law has $ problems. Always has, his lifestyle choice. If he has a 1$ he spends 2$ to celebrate.  This is just a backstory on him, let me get to the real problem.

He has an addictive personality, his latest addiction has been gun / ammo / dooms day prep stuff (last 3 years). I dont judge people for this if their finances are order. Survival stuff is a hobby  as far as Im concerned, but its not for me. Hes ran out of money, hes selling all his stuff to get money for bullets. He spends food budget money on ammo.  He has 10,000+ round (last count a year ago).  His wife begs him to stop hoarding bullets cause he spends their food money on it.  He sneaks off late at night to buy bullets when people are sleeping so nobody will try and stop him. Its a real problem.

My wife is involved because her mom calls her crying sometimes about the situation (because they dont have adequate money for food), so naturally this keeps my wife in a stressed mood.  We live 20 minutes away so we are watching this unfold first hand.

He cant be reasoned with. Any attempts end in something like "You all dont know whats coming".  His wife and chid that live there have attempted conversation with him and he gets unreasonable.

What suggestions do you guys have for me? Im taking all suggestions of any kind that apply to this situation.

TLDR:
My FIL is spending all his food money hoarding bullets because he thinks the end of the world is here.
My wife is heartbroken watching her family suffer through his poor decisions.

Rocketman

• Stubble
Re: FIL addicted to bullets - what to do...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 10:50:11 PM »
Tell him if there are "shit hits the fan" period in the future, in addition to the bullets - he needs food storage. He can't eat bullets. But food he can then (and now).

Ask him if the truck drivers can't bring food to the grocery store - how long can he eat with only stuff in his house

I don't know if that will help or not, but maybe gets his safety issues going somewhere that's a little productive.

Good Luck

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 03:05:40 AM »
The guy needs psychiatric help IMO.

What is it about (some) Americans that somehow the answer to everything is bullets?

You won't find the same attitudes anywhere else in the civilised world.

gldms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • US Expat in UK
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 04:09:20 AM »
It sounds like your FIL has obsessive-compulsive disorder.  The way out is via cognitive behavioural therapy and medication (SSRIs)  The problem is that, until he realises that he has a mental health issue, he won't be open to any form of treatment.

You might try and have him walk you through a detailed hypothetical doomsday scenario and how having 10000 rounds of ammunition and no food will play out.  Make him get as detailed as possible (like he's running a conflict simulation or war game).   Maybe he can start to realize for himself that he's being irrational.  On the other hand, he might argue that he could trade the ammunition for food...

I'm not optimistic.  My understanding is that some forms of OCD (e.g., hoarding) don't respond to treatment.  I think your MIL should see a mental health professional to get a qualified assessment of what she is really up against; then, she might decide that she needs to see a lawyer.  I really hope I'm wrong and that your family can pull through this.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 04:12:15 AM »
Is this personality new as of 3 years ago?

If it is, I would wonder about something going on mentally. Brain tumor, dementia, etc.

If he's aways been like this and ammo is just the latest and greatest, and he isn't willing to get help, then there is nothing you can do. Other than perhaps offer your mil a place to go if she wants to leave him.

My mil complains endlessly about a situation she consciously put herself in and chooses to continue (letting her daughter move back home). It does suck..... But mil wants to complain, not make a change. Which is fine- but we no longer entertain her complaints- they stress us out and since no action is ever taken, why?

My point is, if your FIL really refuses any help to change, then your mil has a choice- live with it or leave. It's ok, every time she calls in a panic and vents to you, to just respond "well, you know if you want to leave, we'd be happy to help you get back on your feet. Now, did you hear about blah blah change the subject".

Or just give her a grocery gift card every month and be done with it.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 04:16:16 AM »
You can't fix this situation, because your wife is making the choice to be in the middle of things. Your wife can pull back and stop listening to all this, but she probably won't. I know that is simplistic, but honestly, if she can't fix things and the MIL refuses to take any action... nothing changes and you all are stuck like this for however long it lasts unless someone finally says enough.

Your wife probably needs to take a giant step back because this isn't healthy for anyone if your MIL is just using your wife for venting and never taking any action. She could suggest a few options - counseling, separation, just taking the bullets and selling them (if the father is not violent, just being stupid). And then tell her next time this conversation loops to the same thing...

"Mom, I can't fix this for you. I'm sorry that things are looking so bad still, but you do have the ability to do something about it. You just haven't taken any steps to do so. I think calling and venting to me about it over and over again isn't really helping you either, and it is very upsetting for me to listen to for the last X months because nothing ever changes. Can we please talk about something else?"

But again, that's for your wife to decide. All you can do is tell your wife you're sorry she's stressed out and try to make her feel safe and loved.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 06:50:43 AM »
In my experience with addiction, the person with the addiction has to want to change.  The people around them can help facilitate this by being supportive when they express an interest in changing, and (more importantly) by letting them experience the consequences of their actions.  Too often, we think it's "loving" or "helping" to protect someone from the consequences of their bad decisions, but this can often just draw the problem out.

For the people close to the addict, the only real decision is about boundaries.  How involved do you want to be?  You can't change them.  In Alanon (which I have only tangential experience with) they use the phrase "detaching with love".

My FIL has made some poor decisions over the years (in terms of overeating and hoarding) and while I listen to my wife (who listens to her MIL), ultimately the question everyone needs to ask themselves is how involved do they want to be.  If MIL is staying with him, that's her decision.  If wife wants to listen to MIL complain repeatedly about the same things, that's her decision.  Etc.  We often fool ourselves into thinking we're helping by doing these things, but really we're just perpetuating a bad situation.  When my wife spins out about something her dad is doing, I ask her how involved she wants to be.  Usually, the answer is "not very" and so we just let it go.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 07:15:37 AM »
In my experience with addiction, the person with the addiction has to want to change.  The people around them can help facilitate this by being supportive when they express an interest in changing, and (more importantly) by letting them experience the consequences of their actions.  Too often, we think it's "loving" or "helping" to protect someone from the consequences of their bad decisions, but this can often just draw the problem out.

For the people close to the addict, the only real decision is about boundaries.  How involved do you want to be?  You can't change them.  In Alanon (which I have only tangential experience with) they use the phrase "detaching with love".

My FIL has made some poor decisions over the years (in terms of overeating and hoarding) and while I listen to my wife (who listens to her MIL), ultimately the question everyone needs to ask themselves is how involved do they want to be.  If MIL is staying with him, that's her decision.  If wife wants to listen to MIL complain repeatedly about the same things, that's her decision.  Etc.  We often fool ourselves into thinking we're helping by doing these things, but really we're just perpetuating a bad situation.  When my wife spins out about something her dad is doing, I ask her how involved she wants to be.  Usually, the answer is "not very" and so we just let it go.

This is sound, actionable advice. Dealing with people with mental instability or addictive behaviors is never easy, sadly.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 07:33:11 AM »
OP: your MIL is penniless, powerless, frightened and hungry because of the actions of your FIL.  That is certainly emotional abuse, and it is entirely possible that there is physical abuse beyond the lack of food which is going on as well.

I agree with previous posters that there is probably an underlying pathology to your FIL's behaviour.  The cause of that pathology is probably irrelevant unless he can either be persuaded to see a doctor, which seems unlikely, or he can be involuntarily committed for treatment, which also seems unlikely.

I would suggest that you and your wife read up on how to support people who are in abusive relationships, reach out to any local resources which are available, and make sure that your MIL knows what places of safety are available to her.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 07:57:08 AM »
I would suggest perhaps a different route than the others who have posted. Why not buy him a reloading setup and direct him towards making his own ammo. It is much much cheaper and if the SHTF someday, it would be a good skill to have after all the purchased bullets have run out. It might satisfy his need for ammunition and satisfy the family need to conserve money all in one step.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 08:23:53 AM »
My father in law has $ problems...If he has a 1$ he spends 2$ to celebrate.
Wow! This is such a great description of a spendypants. I have nothing much to add, except to say I think FG's advice is awesome, as usual.
Personally, if I needed food money, I'd be selling ammo. Perhaps we could incorporate lthenderson's advice. MIL can sell store bought ammo to get supplies for making her own. Then she could replace the purchased stuff she's selling with homemade whenever she needs money. Is there enough profit margin to make this feasible? Is it legal to resell commercially produced ammo?

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 08:55:28 AM »
From what I know of the extreme-end of the survivalist/prepper scene, people that follow this kind of severe addiction are fueled by equally addiction-level reading or watching of the kind of online content that reinforces the fears/reasons they need to go out and do this.  Perhaps asking MIL if it's possible to cancel internet service (and cable TV) and see if FILs urges to buy ammo subside. 

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 09:02:23 AM »
From what I know of the extreme-end of the survivalist/prepper scene, people that follow this kind of severe addiction are fueled by equally addiction-level reading or watching of the kind of online content that reinforces the fears/reasons they need to go out and do this.  Perhaps asking MIL if it's possible to cancel internet service (and cable TV) and see if FILs urges to buy ammo subside.

Good suggestion!  I never went too far in the prepper direction, but when I was flirting with it, I definitely fueled the cycle via what I was reading.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 09:22:59 AM »
Were in the deep south, unfortunately its a common belief here.  I believe he surrounds himself with other people of this dooms day belief + internet reading. 

He keeps the bullets and all things like that in a large safe, I dont think anyone but him can sell them.   ALSO as far as MIL goes, I dont think she likes the situation, but I dont see change coming from her.   Shes been an unemployed home maker for the last 30 years, I dont see her giving up that life or changing it in anyway.( Another post said "penniless and powerless". This is mostly true)

I like the reloader idea, not sure if it will help, but it was a very original solution =D.

So moving forward, it appears the best thing we can do is steer the conversation in a different direction and be less involved.   MIL doesnt like it but wont change, and FIL has always had addiction problems.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 10:24:56 AM »
This won't change your FIL, but it might help you and your wife cope a bit. I recently learned about what seems to me to be a constructive way to handle someone who constantly complains to you about the same thing. It's sort of a three strikes thing:

Next time they bring it up: "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. What do you think you're going to do about it?"

Next time after that: "Yes, I remember you mentioning this before. What did you do about it?"

Third time: "We're talked about this before. If it's not important enough to you to do anything about it, then it's not important enough for us to waste our time talking about it. Until you start taking action to change what you're complaining about it, I don't think you and I should talk about it. <change subject>"

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 10:41:58 AM »
This won't change your FIL, but it might help you and your wife cope a bit. I recently learned about what seems to me to be a constructive way to handle someone who constantly complains to you about the same thing. It's sort of a three strikes thing:

Next time they bring it up: "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. What do you think you're going to do about it?"

Next time after that: "Yes, I remember you mentioning this before. What did you do about it?"

Third time: "We're talked about this before. If it's not important enough to you to do anything about it, then it's not important enough for us to waste our time talking about it. Until you start taking action to change what you're complaining about it, I don't think you and I should talk about it. <change subject>"

I will be using this in the future.  thanks!

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 02:35:03 PM »

I will be using this in the future.  thanks!

Me too.  I like that a lot.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 04:08:21 PM »
I remembered where I heard the above. Warren and Betsy Talbot, who unfortunately have just recently ended their podcast, "An Uncluttered Life." Some good stuff there. :-)

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2016, 04:26:41 PM »
I was done with this thread but dropped back in to say i like the 3 strike approach.  Will be using .

Surprised I've never seen or heard of it before.

TrMama

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 04:28:27 PM »
Is there some sort of legal limit on the amount of ammo a person is allowed to have in their home? You know, just like you can only have so much fertilizer, or so many cats, before some agency gets involved. I *think* that's the case here, but perhaps things are different in the US?

Getting the police (or whoever enforces the rules wrt ammo) involved is the only way I can think of to force the issue.

Reynolds531

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2016, 05:41:49 PM »

The irony of seeing answer on this forum.....walks away to check broker account and watch wall Street on non cable Android box... again

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2016, 11:22:16 PM »
Someone on another thread offered these pearls of wisdom: Never help someone more than they are willing to help themselves. Words to live by.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2016, 12:18:17 AM »
Someone on another thread offered these pearls of wisdom: Never help someone more than they are willing to help themselves. Words to live by.

I think there are exceptions to this.   It does apply to  MIL in this story, but for ill people who make poor decisions (I am thinking depression, but maybe some forms of addition in the early stages, too), well, we have a duty to try.

Not to put ourselves in harms way (financial or otherwise),  not to go on forever on  Sisyphean task but to reach out and try initially.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2016, 06:58:58 AM »
Is there some sort of legal limit on the amount of ammo a person is allowed to have in their home? You know, just like you can only have so much fertilizer, or so many cats, before some agency gets involved. I *think* that's the case here, but perhaps things are different in the US?

Getting the police (or whoever enforces the rules wrt ammo) involved is the only way I can think of to force the issue.

Nope, no limit.  If you buy a lot of guns in a short period of time you may get a visit by the ATF to make sure you're not acting as a dealer, but that's it.

Really someone with 10,000 rounds of ammo isn't any more dangerous than someone with 500 rounds.  In any situation where you're actually using the ammo to hurt someone, you would have a tough time using even 2-300 rounds.  If you're buying it to take the powder out and make a bomb, there are much cheaper and easier ways to go.  Generally someone with 10,000+ rounds falls into one of the 4 camps below:

1.  Watches The Walking Dead like it's a documentary from the future, and is preparing for there to be no more ammo available forever.

2.  Thinks guns/ammo will be made illegal (or effectively so) soon, so wants to get in while the gettin's good.

3.  Shoots a LOT at competitions or recreationally, and buys in bulk and keeps enough around to weather a temporary shortage.  A lot of people shoot well over 1000 rounds per month.

4.  Hoarders and/or people who think of it as an "investment" since prices usually go up.

specialkayme

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2016, 07:28:04 AM »
What is it about (some) Americans that somehow the answer to everything is bullets?

Believe it or not (and most people reading this in the US probably won't believe it), it's a firmly rooted part of our culture.
During the 1600 and 1700's, firearms were necessary for the well being of the family, especially the further you got away from the cities. Domestic farming wasn't what it is today, and firearms were needed to defend the home against invaders (in some rare cases Native Americans, but also Spanish and French settlers who disagreed about boundary lines) and put food on the table. Firearms were expensive, and difficult to acquire, but lasted a long period of time (typically handed down generation to generation). Powder wasn't produced domestically, so when it became available it needed to be stockpiled.
The mentality of the US changed from "stockpiling" to "hoarding" when Great Britain attempted to quash questionably rebellious activities by seizing blackpowder stores, leaving many americans defenseless and vulnerable to food issues. They ended up resorting to the "blackpowder black market" if you believe it or not, but the point is the same. When many americans see a political problem arising, their solution is to stock pile ammo in the fear it will be needed later.

Rational or not.

If you want more information, I'd suggest reading "Paul Revere's Ride" by David Fischer. A really good read anyway.

Back to the regularly scheduled programming.

Is there some sort of legal limit on the amount of ammo a person is allowed to have in their home? 

Nope. As mentioned, if you buy too many guns in too short of a period of time, the ATF will get involved (in part to make sure you aren't a dealer, but in part to check to see if you are planning some type of invasion). The ATF also gets involved for fully auto weapons, suppressors, and a few other related items. But otherwise, it's your right as an american to own as many, or as few, rounds of ammo as you like.

Generally someone with 10,000+ rounds falls into one of the 4 camps below:

1.  Watches The Walking Dead like it's a documentary from the future, and is preparing for there to be no more ammo available forever.

2.  Thinks guns/ammo will be made illegal (or effectively so) soon, so wants to get in while the gettin's good.

3.  Shoots a LOT at competitions or recreationally, and buys in bulk and keeps enough around to weather a temporary shortage.  A lot of people shoot well over 1000 rounds per month.

4.  Hoarders and/or people who think of it as an "investment" since prices usually go up.

Personally, I understand the mentality to hoard ammo. I do believe we are heading in a dangerous direction in the US. I don't know what will happen, and I highly doubt it will require even one round of ammo, let alone 10,000, but I can still see the thought process. I probably have 2-3,000 rounds myself, but mainly because I fall into category #3 (kinda). I don't shoot as much as I would like (cost wise), but I shoot often enough to buy in bulk and let it last me a while.

But to the original OP's problem, I think it'd be productive to ask him why he's hoarding ammo. My guess is he believes "shit's coming." If so, why is he only buying ammo? Ask him how much ammo he thinks he needs. Ask him if he thinks he only needs ammo, or does he need freeze dryed food, gold coins, medical supplies, bottled water, gasoline, ect. Most "preppers" believe true survival depends on all of those items, not just ammo. Getting him to talk about what his motivation is may be able to get him to see bigger picture as to whether buying more ammo is truely going to put him in a better position related to what he's looking to accomplish. Not that he should stop spending everything he owns on ammo and instead buy gold coins, but getting him to think about it may be a first step.

Alternatively, you could support his ability to buy ammo, but only when he can get it at $X price per round. For example, if it's normally sold at $0.40 per round, but you say he can only buy it if he finds it at $0.35 per round, it may reduce his spending, and show that you support his desire to buy more by making sure the funds you have go further. The solution here is that ammo keeps its value. If you bought it for lower than market rates, you should be able to turn around and sell it later for the cost you bought it for, if not more. Which may provide an opportunity for your MIL to sell about as much as your FIL buys. Again, not perfect, but a short term solution.

Long term, therapy is probably the only true "out."

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2016, 08:41:52 AM »
Is there a way to get MIL access to the cash before FIL?  So she can take $400 or $100 or $50 and go buy grocery store gift cards so he can't spend the money before her?

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2016, 09:07:50 AM »
Is there a way to get MIL access to the cash before FIL?  So she can take $400 or $100 or $50 and go buy grocery store gift cards so he can't spend the money before her?

This was my first thought. If there's no money available to him, then he can't buy ammo. With the (huge) caveat that if it is an abusive relationship, this will definitely escalate it rather than fix the problem.

Is there any way to take away credit cards? Is he still working, or are they retired?

TrMama

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2016, 09:48:57 AM »

Nope, no limit.  If you buy a lot of guns in a short period of time you may get a visit by the ATF to make sure you're not acting as a dealer, but that's it.

Really someone with 10,000 rounds of ammo isn't any more dangerous than someone with 500 rounds.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but wouldn't having a bunch of ammo in the house be a major risk to others in the event of a fire? I can't help thinking I'm glad I don't live next door to the OP's FIL . . .

specialkayme

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2016, 10:04:32 AM »
Typically if you have that much ammo, you keep it in an outbuilding and/or a fireproof safe. Not perfect though.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2016, 10:18:50 AM »
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but wouldn't having a bunch of ammo in the house be a major risk to others in the event of a fire? I can't help thinking I'm glad I don't live next door to the OP's FIL . . .

Not really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c goes into it in some detail, but basically, you have a LOT of mass to heat up before it will start auto-igniting, and that takes a lot of fire.  Then, as they do explode, there's zero containment - so the brass just blows apart and nothing has much energy.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2016, 10:53:29 AM »
Abort mission! In all seriousness I think my wife and I pulling back is the correct solution.

Everything else gets messy.

I was hoping someone else that witnessesed this type of issue would chime in.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2016, 01:26:33 PM »
Personally, I understand the mentality to hoard ammo. I do believe we are heading in a dangerous direction in the US. I don't know what will happen, and I highly doubt it will require even one round of ammo, let alone 10,000, but I can still see the thought process. I probably have 2-3,000 rounds myself, but mainly because I fall into category #3 (kinda). I don't shoot as much as I would like (cost wise), but I shoot often enough to buy in bulk and let it last me a while.

Me too, I have a few thousand, but that's more to prevent running out during the next ammo scare.  There was a solid 2-3 years where .22lr was nearly impossible to find at a reasonable price.  9mm and .223 less so.

Certainly not a dumb question!  Basically unless it's contained (which it sometimes is in ammo cans) in a vessel that can hold a lot of pressure (or in the gun), it's not going to do much damage during a fire.  Ammo is made to be basically sealed in a chamber in a firearm to be propelled forward, taking away that chamber it will just explode, but won't be nearly as deadly as when fired from a gun.

If the ammo is stored in a sealed ammo can it can become a small bomb, or if it's chambered in the gun it can fire normally.  This is why it's important to tell firefighters if you have loaded firearms or ammo in your house when they arrive. It's also an important point to consider when you decide on storage area.  If you store a loaded gun, have it pointed in a safe direction.  You should also mention propane tanks, gas cans in the garage, and any pressurized canisters like shaving cream or computer duster (although I'm fairly sure they'd expect to find those, they probably would appreciate the heads up). 

http://my.firefighternation.com/forum/topics/exploding-ammunition-is-this

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!