Author Topic: Figuring out if outlets/wiring can handle a treadmill?  (Read 4373 times)

Lauran75

• Stubble
Figuring out if outlets/wiring can handle a treadmill?
« on: December 31, 2018, 03:28:49 PM »
My DH had a heart attack at the beginning of October. He has been going through Cardiac Rehab since then, and has found that he doesn't mind walking on the treadmill too much (walking outside causes him hip/knee pain .. so he just won't do it.)

We decided to get a treadmill so that he could exercise anytime (without time constraints or worrying about other people looking at him - he's big and tall - has lost 45lbs since his heart attack.) I would also definitely be using it.

We looked at a treadmill last week - some guy had overbought some treadmills from a gym (he was starting his own gym) and was selling the extras. We really liked one of them. But ... after testing it out my DH started worrying that our electrical system couldn't handle a treadmill - any treadmill.

Our house was built in 1952, and does not have any grounded outlets. We have to use those plug adapters for anything with three prongs. DH checked the breaker box, and said that everything was 15 amps or more - but again, he doesn't think the breaker box is grounded.

So ... we may be looking at a gym membership for him. I'd really rather go with a treadmill at home though.

How can we figure out if our system will handle it or not for sure? With enough surety to ease DH"s anxiety.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Re: Figuring out if outlets/wiring can handle a treadmill?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 03:39:51 PM »
I have a 1960 house. I did have my basement outlets upgraded to whatever they’re supposed to be so that we aren’t electrocuted if the basement floods, and it was not expensive.

We also have a treadmill, and use it regularly, and it has never tripped the outlet. So I’d guess that the treadmill doesn’t actually suck up that much power. We’re definitely more likely to use the treadmill at home in the winter than go to the gym.

So, I’d suggest calling an electrician and having your outlet upgraded, and getting a treadmill.

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 03:48:27 PM »
The treadmill will have a nameplate on it somewhere, which will indicate the amp draw.

If I had to guess, it'll draw 5-6 amps.

Rob_bob

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 06:49:56 PM »
As mentioned look at the spec plate to see how many amps it draws.

Yes your breaker panel will be grounded. A ground, or "neutral" is required for 240v appliances and the ground and neutral attach to the same buss eventually.

In most cases several outlets are connected to a single circuit breaker, so if there are three outlets connected to one 15 amp breaker and you have three 5 amp loads plugged in then you will be maxing the circuit.  So it's important to know what outlets go the which breaker.

If you overload a breaker you will trip it, if everything is in good condition you won't burn the house down, that's what they are for.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 08:09:39 PM »
Does your house handle running a hairdryer, microwave or electric kettle? Those use a ton of amps. If so, then assuming all the wiring is the same spec and the circuit the threadmill is on has a sufficient breaker, then it'll be fine for sure.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 09:51:18 PM »
Honestly your husband was *this* close to stepping off the merry-go-round forever,who gives a flying fuck whatever it costs to get a tmill up and running.  Most treadmills should be fine with a standard 15A circuit, but I recommend a Woodway treadmill which is basically the Ferrari of treadmills.  It costs a bit more but were talking about your man's life here. Cheap out with a unit he doesn't use and it might just be game over. 

I think the gym membership is the best option as long as you both go together religiously. Both you and him have been given gift in life that many aren't so fortunate to obtain. Make hay while the sun shines and work out at the gym together 5days a week - for each other.  The life you save might just be your own...or more than likely, your husband's.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck.  Stick to it and you can both come out of this alive.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 06:30:06 AM »
Having knee problems myself, I have to recommend that you scrap the treadmill idea and look at something in the bike area.  If he's having pain walking outside, he's going to eventually have pain on the treadmill.  Bicycles and swimming are the 2 things that avoid impact strains on legs and hips.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 11:13:32 AM »
Having knee problems myself, I have to recommend that you scrap the treadmill idea and look at something in the bike area.  If he's having pain walking outside, he's going to eventually have pain on the treadmill.  Bicycles and swimming are the 2 things that avoid impact strains on legs and hips.
  Maybe a rower as an option as well?

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 11:20:56 AM »
Elliptically are a good option too, but if he’s tall you then need to try out the machine to make sure the stride length is sufficient.

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 11:55:37 PM »

+1 on the rower. Get a decent machine and your DH will get a full-body workout that is very easy on the knees.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 08:52:55 AM »
Thank you everyone. I will pass on your suggestions to my husband.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 12:12:02 PM »

+1 on the rower. Get a decent machine and your DH will get a full-body workout that is very easy on the knees.

Rowers also don't need power!

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 12:24:47 PM »
The only issue with the rowing machine possibly would be his shoulders. He has one shoulder with a replacement, and the other shoulder is going to need a replacement within the next few years (or less.) So he has to be careful with any exercises which involve pulling/shoulders.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 02:30:12 PM »
Treadmills do not use much power.  It's mostly a computer.  The runner/walker does most of the work, so I wouldn't "sweat it", LOL.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 02:40:24 PM »
I have bad knees and I like walking on the treadmill just fine. It’s actua extremely important to keep walking, even if uncomfortable. That weight bearing exercise is important.