Author Topic: Fighting diabesity with bike - but sore rear end.  (Read 6201 times)

Vwjedi76

Fighting diabesity with bike - but sore rear end.
« on: June 19, 2015, 10:15:04 AM »
I'm mid thirties, overweight (not by much) and am pre type 2 diabetic. I've been biking more and more for health and fiscal reasons but WOW do I have sore buns.  Not a skin rash pain, just sore buns (taint?) that hurts for days on end. Please recommend seats or seat pads. Will this go away as I lose weight? Not trolling, I promise. It truly hurts.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Fighting diabesity with bike - but sore rear end.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 10:27:23 AM »
This tends to improve over time.  Losing weight means less pressure on your butt.  Getting into better shape means less pressure on your butt because your feet take more of the weight as you're pedalling harder, longer (you should never be sitting limp on a bike).

Most people adjust their bike seat too low.  This makes you sit more upright, which means more pressure on the butt.  You also want to lift your ass up and slightly off the seat every time you go over a big bump in the road (less jarring for you and it's easier on your spokes).  Things like padded bike shorts will help a little bit, but aren't a panacea.  It's possible that the seat you have is the wrong shape, but best to stick it out for a few months and see if things improve before dropping money on something.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 10:30:10 AM »
What kind of bike do you have? Is it pretty upright, road bike, mountain bike, etc -

Upright bikes will have springs in the saddle and are wider - the saddle should be wide enough that your sitz bones are supported by it. Generally padded saddles feel good at first but are less than comfortable after a few miles so a less padded saddle will help. If you're riding a road bike, are you using bike shorts with the padded bum? I think they really make a difference.

Really, the answer is probably to try a different saddle. If it doesn't help, try another one. Less padded is usually better, but we're all shaped different.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 11:35:28 AM »
Padded bike shorts can also help - and they now make ones that looks like cargo shorts (or "normal shorts") rather than shiny black spandex. However, the fit of the saddle is really key - and getting used to the pressure. Many people who cycle a lot get a sort of callus on their butt....

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 05:20:08 PM »
+1 on getting a split-saddle. 
But if that's not enough, have you considered / test-driven a recumbent bike? 

It might be just the ticket for you.

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 09:39:22 PM »

destron

• Bristles
    • Mustachian Financial Calculators
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 10:27:40 PM »
How long have you been booking for? I experienced the same when I started riding again as an adult but the pain went away after a few weeks. I only wear padded bike shorts  if I am going on a longer ride over 35 miles or so.

Vwjedi76

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 10:33:36 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! I will look into a split saddle and padded shorts and maybe one day my lady parts will be able to sit in a chair after a bike ride without an ice pack!

grundomatic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 11:31:00 PM »
There are so many variables, but I would say that in general if it is your butt that hurts you are doing it right. When I get on my bike for a long ride after not having done so, my "sit bones" almost feel bruised, however, the soft tissue I really want to protect is better off for it.

Other things:

A saddle too high or too wide can pull you forward onto the nose of the saddle, which can be very uncomfortable.

Poor posture can affect what hurts too--just try it out. Slouch forward while riding your bike (for comparison), then exaggerate great posture by rotating your hips forward and pushing your chest out. See if that eases the pressure.

The more you ride the harder saddle you will probably want. It's kind of like a couch--when you plop down at first on a fluffy one you think it feels great. By the end of the super bowl it is miserable...eventually you will want support from your bike seat, not cushion.

And while "going to the store to buy a solution" might not be mustachian, you might consider visiting your local bike shop. If you can, ride your bike there. The good shops will take care of you--have a seat demo program, a return policy, etc., and should suggest some of the things that we already have. If they don't, you can always leave.

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 01:09:11 PM »
  • Fitness level--Unused muscles/joints take time to acclimate to use. Weight loss also helps.
  • Bike fit
    • Saddle height--Too low = sore knees and too much weight on seat.
    • Saddle fore/aft position--Too far backward= Too much weight on seat.
    • Saddle size--3/4 inch width makes a world of difference for me if I'm riding more than a couple miles.
    • Saddle composition--Too soft feels good to the hands but not good to the butt after a few miles.
  • Biking experience--Newbie = doesn't anticipate approaching situations well, eg bumps, shifts, braking, and doesn't move body to the best position for the upcoming maneuver.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 01:30:14 PM »
Ever thought about lowering the handlebars?

Probably counter-intuitive since most people think high bars = comfort, but high handlebar also means all weight on you butt.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 04:24:58 PM »
I bought what I call the "fat butt bike seat" and it's a million times better than the seat that came on the bike.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 12:24:24 PM »
You know how your butt hurts after you sit in an airplane for a 3 hour flight?

Your body is not meant to be still. That means, on a bike, you need to periodically change your position a bit - stand up and pedal at a lower cadence/higher gear for a few minutes, get some bar ends or handlebars that offer multiple hand positions, make sure you are turning your head to look at the scenery every once in a while, etc. Your entire torso and upper body staying still is a recipe for discomfort even with a great fit and good saddle. So move around more, and see if that helps.

-W

Dorje

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • ZenWave Audio
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 12:52:27 PM »
Go to a Specialized store and have them measure your butt and recommend the right sized saddle. They have a 30-day satisfaction guarantee, you can exchange it of it doesn't work out. This is worth paying retail for if you need it. However, no bike saddle in the world is going to be comfortable, it's all about not damaging anything, your body will adapt to the rest as long as the fit is right.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 06:53:41 PM »
I got a good deal on padded shorts at Dicks. I often wear a skirt over them (or bring one to put on) for a classier look.

I also do find myself more comfortable since I raised my seat. I'm very short and thought I needed to touch the ground a lot more than I actually do need.

Vwjedi76

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 09:25:24 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it. We are getting ourselves fiscally and physically fit, which is apparently more difficult the longer into my third decade I get. :)   

Vwjedi76

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 09:26:50 AM »
And also, since someone PM'd me, I know it's spelled "diabetes".  I was making a play on words: diabetes + obesity = diabesity.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 10:27:37 AM »
And also, since someone PM'd me, I know it's spelled "diabetes".  I was making a play on words: diabetes + obesity = diabesity.

I thought it was clever.  :)  Keep at it!  It gets better!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 02:03:02 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! I will look into a split saddle and padded shorts and maybe one day my lady parts will be able to sit in a chair after a bike ride without an ice pack!
[Emphasis mine]
Reminded me of this article - you may be sitting wrong (yes there is a correct way to sit on a bike saddle). http://www.cervelo.com/en/engineering/ask-the-engineers/the-four-and-a-half-rules-of-road-saddles-.html