Author Topic: fencing ??  (Read 1970 times)

luigi49

• Bristles
fencing ??
« on: April 04, 2019, 10:10:53 PM »
So my neighbor is having vinyl fence done.  They will pay for it.  Now what about the gate ?  Can we attach the gate to the fence after they put it up or do we build a post and make a seperate gate?  The don't really talk to us.  They did mention that their crew will put a gate for $650 which we think is a lot. 

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
Re: fencing ??
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 06:30:00 AM »
I would not attach anything to fence that they built and paid for without there permission.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 08:46:47 AM »
Fencing!!??   Great!

(Oh, no swords involved.  Nevermind.   What Fishindude said.)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 09:03:06 AM »
Are you talking about just putting a latch on one of the posts of their fence so your gate can meet it? Or attaching the hinges of the gate itself?  You certainly should ask them if it's allowed. You'll need at least one post of your own for the other side of your gate.

I would consider $650 expensive for a gate, even for my HCOL area.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 09:08:07 AM »
Why do you need a gate attached to your neighbor's fence?  Do you have a shared driveway or something?  Or do you have a fence that would be coming up to their new fence?

J Boogie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 11:00:41 AM »
Ahhh I think I have figured it out the reason you are considering attaching to their fence in the first place.

A marooned single post without any fence panels tied into it lacks lateral bracing. This is bad for a gate, which will still deal with wind loads but also deal with constant opening and closing to weaken the post.

Your best solution is to create a 4 post trellis gate which will be strong and beautiful.

But for the love of all things good and holy don't use vinyl like your neighbors.

luigi49

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 11:51:47 AM »
Let me explain it again as it was not clear.  My neighbor is having a vinyl fence installed, which they are removing the existing fence that separates our yards. They provided us with a quote for a gate, which is $650. We think this is expensive and would like to shop around. Since they are going to have this done next week, the fence will be installed before we have a chance to get other quotes. Can we attach our gate to the new fence once we find one?

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 11:57:37 AM »
I think you likely can do this but it might be a good time to talk to your neighbors about what you want to do. You may be able to get them to sign an easement so you have permission to attach the gate when you get a quote you like. My sister had to do this with her next door neighbor when she got a new fence.

J Boogie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 12:25:35 PM »
Let me explain it again as it was not clear.  My neighbor is having a vinyl fence installed, which they are removing the existing fence that separates our yards. They provided us with a quote for a gate, which is $650. We think this is expensive and would like to shop around. Since they are going to have this done next week, the fence will be installed before we have a chance to get other quotes. Can we attach our gate to the new fence once we find one?

So you have a gate attached the condemned fence, and you are wondering what you will do now? I assume you also have a section of the previous fence going through your front yard that ends in the aforementioned gate.

Keep your gate, put in a new post alongside their new fence. Your new post can match your existing front yard fence. If the gate hinges from this new post, it might need some extra fortification. If it just locks on this new post, you should be fine.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!