Author Topic: Feeling anxious and confused about future FIRE  (Read 1870 times)

Lancchick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Feeling anxious and confused about future FIRE
« on: August 04, 2015, 12:59:36 PM »
Four important facts about me: I am childless, happily married for seven years, we own our house, and carry no debt. I began Googling "no kids/own your home" a few months ago to no avail. You see it had finally occurred to me that the overwhelming majority of Americans continue to work to pay the mortgage and pay for their kids' college educations. I then wondered what it meant that at age 37 I had no kids to pay for and no mortgage to pay.

I would tell my husband to take personal risks because "the infertility has to mean something". We could afford to take the path less traveled. But by being surrounded by co-workers, a boss, and friends that go buy new cars without a second thought and boast how their mortgage will be paid off in five years, I feel almost ashamed. Yeah, I know it's crazy but I grew up in a family that spent a lot of time consuming goods.

I know this is old-fashioned fear. Fear of being different, "special", appearing boastful, senior health care costs (that's my husband's), rising prices, etc. I'm guessing that at least one Mustachian feels/felt the same way. How did you conquer fear and worry?

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
Re: Feeling anxious and confused about future FIRE
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 01:24:04 PM »
Can't help much with the feelings of fear personally as I pride myself with being different, but I think my wife struggles with it a bit.  I am hoping once we FIRE and she sees that everything is okay, these feelings will resolve.   

I don't know any of your medical details, but just a heads up, numerous cases of infertility have been "cured" when people back off their careers and relax a bit.