Author Topic: FE Exam and Test Masters  (Read 3200 times)

A_Rock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
FE Exam and Test Masters
« on: August 06, 2013, 07:56:22 AM »
So I am 33 and majored in Geography but have always worked in civil engineering as a civil designer.  I would very much like to pass the FE exam but my one attempt was horrible.  I am very much considering taking an 88 hour class given by Test Masters.  I feel like a structured environment of a class would work much better than attempting to study on my own.  Any Mustachians out there take this class or something similar and have any thoughts and opinions?  Oh, one final note the class is $1,000 and if I do pass, I think this will be a good investment but I'm always hesitant to part with so much money!

Kaytee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: FE Exam and Test Masters
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 10:30:44 AM »
I don't have any experience with the program you're talking about, but do you live near a local student chapter of ASCE - ie, near a university or college with an engineering program? Some of them offer free study prep in civil engineering topics in the evenings. What course of self-study did you use previously? For the PE, I used the Lindeburg study materials and I felt well prepared for that exam. Actually, I walked out thinking "Either I'm just stupid and missed the questions or that test was on the easy side." If you haven't looked into Lindeburg for the FE, I would maybe try a old version bought for cheap on amazon.

moostachio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: FE Exam and Test Masters
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 10:35:22 AM »
I assume you want to take the FE exam to eventually become a PE.  It may work differently in your State, but in the two states in which I have lived, one of which I am a registered PE.... to become a PE you need to have 4 year engr degree from an approved program, pass the 8hr Engineer in Training exam, then work 4 years as an engineer, then pass the 8 hr FE exam.

If your end goal is to become a PE, you may want to contact your State's Department of Professional Regulation and understand exactly what you have to do, so you are not going down a path that leads to nothing.  It is a lot of work to prepare for the FE, you may want to really understand what requirements are needed before embarking.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!