Author Topic: Favorite free Roku channels?  (Read 7695 times)

socaso

• Pencil Stache
Favorite free Roku channels?
« on: July 28, 2014, 05:30:46 PM »
We've had the Roku for 7 months now and we have Netflix and Hulu which I like but I've also begun to explore some of the free channels. I like PBS and PBS Kids and YouTube. Anyone else have any good suggestions?

jpo

• Pencil Stache
Re: Favorite free Roku channels?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 05:34:56 PM »
I like some of the food channels (Chow, Cooking Outdoors).

Ethernet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 07:15:02 PM »
Crackle occasionally has some decent movies and shows on its roster.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 08:23:47 PM »
NowhereTV is a good channel. It is a private roku channel (not that it being "private" means anything special other than you won't find it in the roku channel store).

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 08:47:55 PM »
JustinTV is legit.  Enough quality streaming shows to make the anti-piracy brigade feel funny in their nether regions.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 08:51:34 PM »
That public domain channel with all the old government videos and training videos is a lot of fun if you like to do live Rifftrax-type stuff with friends.  Threshold is good if you love shlocky old sci-fi and horror movies.

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 09:11:19 PM »
Big fan of the Plex app and ecosystem for streaming content from the computer, Ive heard someone mention it costs now for the roku but I got it on all my units when it was still free. Nowhere TV gives me plenty of live news stream from main stream outlets, "Democracy now" app is great for independent news. Amazon cloud player is great for my music needs (Rip CDs from the library and upload em to amazon cloud player - included with prime). Amazon Instant video (prime) for all my music streaming. PBS is fantastic. I really hope hoopla makes a roku app soon.

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 11:09:28 PM »
The Plex channel / app is only $5.00.  Certainly worth it to me.  Eventually I may use that to push my OTA DVR content.

zippyc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 11:37:47 PM »
I second Crackle. I haven't watched much on it, but just discovered Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee and have been watching every episode. Fun! Now, if only they could come up with something to replace my beloved HGTV shows, I would be so grateful (although one could argue that they just fuel my desire to make fancy changes to my house!).

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 11:10:46 AM »
Thanks! These are great suggestions! Going to look them up on the Roku.

Trifecta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 04:25:02 PM »
I second Crackle. I haven't watched much on it, but just discovered Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee and have been watching every episode. Fun! Now, if only they could come up with something to replace my beloved HGTV shows, I would be so grateful (although one could argue that they just fuel my desire to make fancy changes to my house!).

We bought PlayOn for our Roku a while back (one time charge of like $60) and it gives us access to some HGTV shows on our TV, as well as shows from other channels.

Free Roku channels that we use the most are:  Crackle, YouTube, Pandora, Fox, PBS, MLB (one free game per day).  Those along with Netflix and a good antenna gives us plenty to enjoy on TV.  Occasionally we'll order a show or movie from Amazon as well.

zippyc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 10:59:26 PM »
Coach C,  Really? Wondering if it's just older House Hunters (they show those on their website) or more recent shows? You might not know. I had a small addiction to HGTV :-) Sometimes it was background noise, but nothing ever came on that I had to shelter the kids from. That would be great if it had newer shows on it. Thanks for the tip!

Trifecta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 11:02:44 PM »
Coach C,  Really? Wondering if it's just older House Hunters (they show those on their website) or more recent shows? You might not know. I had a small addiction to HGTV :-) Sometimes it was background noise, but nothing ever came on that I had to shelter the kids from. That would be great if it had newer shows on it. Thanks for the tip!

Pretty sure it's the older episodes.  Not sure how often HGTV updates them, but it's better than nothing :) 

countdown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 11:04:48 PM »
Plex, Netflix, amazon prime, pbskids, YouTube, and break. Plex has channels like CBS, comedy central, etc for the TV fix and plays shows from the hardrive.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 12:53:16 PM »
Crackle occasionally has some decent movies and shows on its roster.
Thanks for this! I added this channel last night and I started watching a show called From the Basement. Great music show! I'm going to check out more of their original programming and their movie selection is decent.

MrPizza

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 08:04:04 AM »
There's been quite quiet in this topic lately, but I think the subject is interesting.

Crackle has been one of my favorite free channels for some time: http://cordcutting.com/roku-channel/crackle/

Always nice to watch free movies!

Another one that hasn't been mentioned yet is Pluto TV: http://cordcutting.com/roku-channel/pluto-tv/ Lots of free content!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 08:06:32 AM by MrPizza »

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 05:49:20 PM »
CBSN - Usually I get my news from Flipboard, but I like to watch/listen to a new program with my morning coffee.