Author Topic: Favorite app to track spending?  (Read 5352 times)

Slow time fun

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Favorite app to track spending?
« on: March 13, 2017, 12:40:26 PM »
Hi All,

I desperately need to track my spending, all of which is done on two cards (one wife, one mine), though I spend cash occasionally. A number of years ago, I tried Mint and, if I recall correctly, it auto-categorized my spending from the credit cards, but did so inaccurately often times. I definitely want whatever program I use to connect to the cards. Though, I'm not too concerned about setting a budget in each category. I just need to know where the hell my money is going because - right now - I'm quite unsure (it' feels like it's disappearing in the ether for the most part).

Soooo.....

If you track your spending, what is your app of choice and why? Any insights you might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Favorite app to track spending?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 12:51:11 PM »
I've used Mint for years; I like the desktop and app versions. Sometimes it's inaccurate but it's easy to fix if you really care. Some of that is personal preference. I like just calling any eating out "restaurants" instead of breaking down by fast food/coffee shops/etc. so I've taught Mint my rules for these expenses over the years. Even if it wrongly categorizes something, it still shows you in one place that you spent money somewhere.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 12:52:56 PM »
I really like Prosper.  It groups spending into categories, but you can change the category of the expense very easily.  It also groups things neatly to show total month spending, and simple break down.

I've never used Mint or YNAB, so I can't give a comparison.

valuenation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 01:08:32 PM »
Prosper looks good for my uses.  I'm on the road a lot when I am spending.  It says its free, which is nice.  But nothing is ever free.  So whats your experience on the up sell Vindicated?  tia

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 01:19:01 PM »
For me, personal capital is probably the best. I use MINT as well, but PC just does everything... better

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

valuenation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 01:29:06 PM »
For me, personal capital is probably the best. I use MINT as well, but PC just does everything... better

TheAnonOne I currently use PC, but I don't have a consistent monthly check as a real estate professional.  Any feeds you know of that help to dial in PC a little better on the budget end of things?

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 01:32:00 PM »
I used Mint on and off for a couple years, but never really loved it. My bank removed transaction categorization functionality, and offloaded everyone to HelloWallet, which is like Mint but not as good. I just use that, but it doesn't do a good job tracking actual income. I might go back to Mint, but I want something that I actually like.

I end up doing everything in Excel at the end of the month. On the one hand, it's sort of a Zen thing. On the other hand, I'm never sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that I got everything. It also doesn't help for running tabs throughout the month.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 01:32:39 PM »
PC is really retroactive. It's not for planning next month's expenses.

It doesn't have a budgeting tool.

It works really well for me, as it's pretty accurate for categories. It may or may not be amazing for you....

It is really investor focused, which I love.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 01:33:02 PM »
Prosper looks good for my uses.  I'm on the road a lot when I am spending.  It says its free, which is nice.  But nothing is ever free.  So whats your experience on the up sell Vindicated?  tia

I can't recall once being prompted or even offered anything to buy.  They do send me e-mails about personal loans sometimes, but that's no biggie for me.  You can unsubscribe from that.

I'm not sure how they make money off of the app.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 02:10:49 PM »
Quicken.  Has its detractors, but does what you seek.

See Quicken's future direction - a cause for concern - Bogleheads.org for more details.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 03:41:48 PM »
YNAB (You Need A Budget). This app lets you plan your spend as well as track it, a unique & valuable concept.

Slow time fun

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 08:18:43 PM »
Thanks, all. Incredibly helpful information!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 10:14:55 PM »
We use Every Dollar which comes from Dave Ramsey. Very happy with it - esp the app to use while at the store.

Slow time fun

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 07:52:45 PM »
Thanks, all, for your thoughts on a budget tracking app! I ended up going with Prosper and like it a lot. One issue I'm having with it, however, is that it doesn't allow me to insert an entry if I have to pay for via cash. Anyone who has used Prosper know a work around by chance?

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 06:05:22 AM »
Thanks, all, for your thoughts on a budget tracking app! I ended up going with Prosper and like it a lot. One issue I'm having with it, however, is that it doesn't allow me to insert an entry if I have to pay for via cash. Anyone who has used Prosper know a work around by chance?

Can you split ATM transactions?

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 06:27:35 AM »

Can you split ATM transactions?

This is how I track cash spend.  ATM withdraws show up under "Transfers", but I'm not sure if I had to set it that way, or if it automatically shows up that way. 

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 06:30:08 AM »
I just put every purchase in a spreadsheet and categorize them as I see fit.  It takes some time, but in a way that also discourages spending (as more purchases = more time entering items in the spreadsheet).

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 12:42:47 PM »
YNAB classic has been awesome for me since 2013.  Manual entry, but it works for me.  I am very aware of my spending.  It has gone unsupported as of 2017, though, so we'll see how long it continues to work.  I've tried Mint, but haven't really put in the effort to personalize the budget side of it so it is more than a lookback tool.  I like the planning perspective YNAB provides.

rupeemustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 06:27:52 AM »
I use Pennies on iOS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk