Author Topic: Family worries about my (weekend-night) biking - are they right?  (Read 3599 times)

Gmullz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Lately I've been biking whenever possible for Mustachian reasons: to save money, increase badassity, reduce my reliance on fossil fuels, among others. I actually want to go carless, and I believe I will within the next month.

Well, Friday night I biked 20 kilometres to my sister's house - it was a dark and rainy night (sounds like the beginning of a good story, doesn't it?). My family kind of thought I was crazy for doing so. I was a little hessitant to do it too, as it was my first time biking there, but I figured if I could bike it on a rainy night with a 30 lb bag (filled with beer and dry clothes) on my back, I could do it anytime!

Then I biked home last night just as it was starting to get dark (8:45pm), which again alarmed them due to it being at night and on a weekend, so there are more likely to be drunk drivers on the road causing a ruckus.

I have two flashing LED lights on my bike - visibility should not be an issue. I may also pickup a reflector vest for night biking. The most dangerous part of the ride is definitely Kearney Lake Road (as seen in the map linked above). The bike lanes on that road are still a work in progress, and the speed limit is 80 KM/H in spots. The other option is to take Hammonds Plains road, but that road is very curvy with lots of entry/exit points off of it, and an even less consistent bike lane presence.

So, am I crazy? Would you guys/gals bike that route at night? On a weekend? The summer is coming to an end and the daylight disappearing with it, so there's an increasing likelihood I will be biking there at night. Should I just avoid the weekends? I'm of course frustrated my sister chose such an anti-Mustachian place to live, but I'm just trying to make the best of it for me, and the planet.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:17:06 PM by Gmullz »

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Family worries about my (weekend-night) biking - are they right?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 07:29:58 PM »
I'm of course frustrated my sister chose such an anti-Mustachian place to live, but I'm just trying to make the best of it for me, and the planet.

Well I'm glad you're not my sibling, being so judgmental about where I choose to live. And why is it so anti-mustachian anyway? Is it built on top of an ancient bicycle burial ground or something?

Gmullz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 07:39:32 PM »
I'm of course frustrated my sister chose such an anti-Mustachian place to live, but I'm just trying to make the best of it for me, and the planet.

Well I'm glad you're not my sibling, being so judgmental about where I choose to live. And why is it so anti-mustachian anyway? Is it built on top of an ancient bicycle burial ground or something?

Whoa whoa, I'm not being judgmental. I actually used to want to live where she lives! But it's fairly rural and far away from jobs and amenities. Before changing my mindset, I didn't think this was a big deal, until I realized the true cost of transporting our bodies around. I was always cautious of how much I drove, but now I'm even more aware.

If I had unlimited money and this planet had unlimited resources, it's exactly where I would want to live. It's an extremely nice area.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:45:44 PM by Gmullz »

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 07:40:21 PM »
I'd bike it, but I personally run my front light in solid mode at night. The blinking gives me a headache, and frequently I need the extra visibility to avoid road hazards or to pick my way through snow ruts, etc.

If you have fenders, get some DOT reflective tape from an auto parts store and apply it on the fenders. Also apply some to each side of your frame to improve side visibility.

Non-bikers will ALWAYS worry.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 08:51:43 AM »
Before I bought a motorcycle I read up quite a bit on safety information.  One of the stats was that 50% of motorcycle fatalities occur at night although hours spend motorcycling at night are much less.  I took this to heart and tried to avoid riding at night if at all possible as motorcycling is an inherently dangerous activity.  Just working the averages, not that much different than investing. 

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 08:57:20 AM »
Just be safe man. You can get hit and killed driving a car too.

I second the reflective strips if you will be night riding a lot.