Author Topic: family health insurance through employer, what do you pay?  (Read 13842 times)

Setters-r-Better

• Stubble
family health insurance through employer, what do you pay?
« on: February 11, 2015, 05:42:56 AM »
What comes out of your paycheck for a full family health insurance policy?  Mine is taking $500/month....feels like a lot ($6, 000 a year!). Emploer is paying a big chunk, 50 or 60%, I forget exactly.  I'm wondering if that's competitive.  Dental is a little extra on top of that.  Copays are 30, which really has been adding up with four of us having somewhat frequent doctor visits. 

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
Re: family health insurance through employer, what do you pay?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 05:53:33 AM »
$330/month for a high-deductible health plan covering me, my wife, and our daughter with an HSA that the company puts some money into.

Dental insurance is generally not worth the money in my experience. Dentists will give you a discount for not going through insurance.

TN_Steve

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 07:19:49 AM »
DW paid slightly more than $18,000 last year for a high deductible plan for she and 2 of our kids.  (As a tax reporting matter, it was employer paid, but it came out of her "profit center" pretax)  Employer is medium sized medical group (100-150 employees) that had horrible loss ratios in past.

We finally have switched everyone to my work plan, which is old-fashioned first dollar plan.  $770 *[EDIT: $856 per pay stub; oops]* per month for DW and kids to join up.  (And, amazingly, it is the exact same insurance plan and network, except for my employer picking up the HRA to make it first dollar)

Bottom line, we were lazy idiots to wait so long.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:56:22 AM by TN_Steve »

Hot_AZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 07:39:19 AM »
We pay $641.70 for myself, husband and one child per month.  It's a high deductible plan thru my employer.  Painful.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 07:54:35 AM »
We pay $440/month for a high-deductible family plan. At my previous employer, the insurance premiums were $57/month for a similar plan. Sounds bad, but it ends up being a wash when you consider my whole benefits package. I have a better 401k match and a higher employer HSA contribution at my new employer.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 08:32:50 AM »
Our "family" high-deductible is over $500/mo, and it's 10k deductible.  Vs individual $45/mo & 5k deductible.

Until my husband got a new job where he had employer subsidized insurance, he was paying $160/mo and had a 6k deductible for private insurance.  We'd probably have to have at least 2 kids to make family insurance a good value.

Does anybody else dislike "family" insurance on principle?  It OUGHT to cost less to insure 2 people as opposed to 8 people.  I guess those with 6 kids are getting a steal.  I'd rather pay per person.

nobody123

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 10:04:38 AM »
Does anybody else dislike "family" insurance on principle?  It OUGHT to cost less to insure 2 people as opposed to 8 people.  I guess those with 6 kids are getting a steal.  I'd rather pay per person.

I complained to the head of HR for several years because there was no "plus one" option to our health insurance when I added my wife -- either you were single, or family.  In a hallway conversation, he admitted that folks in my position were subsidizing the folks on the family plan with 3+ kids, and that if they did 'pay by dependent' that many of the lower paid employees with large families would be priced out of insurance through the company.  So, I let it go.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 10:20:12 AM »

I complained to the head of HR for several years because there was no "plus one" option to our health insurance when I added my wife -- either you were single, or family.  In a hallway conversation, he admitted that folks in my position were subsidizing the folks on the family plan with 3+ kids, and that if they did 'pay by dependent' that many of the lower paid employees with large families would be priced out of insurance through the company.  So, I let it go.

If I remember correctly my company has several options: employee, employee + spouse, employee + child(children), employee + family.  I pay $1922 per year for myself and one child, HDHP plan and my employer contributes $800 into the HSA.  Dental and vision insurance are separate and reasonable as well.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 11:33:48 AM »

If I remember correctly my company has several options: employee, employee + spouse, employee + child(children), employee + family.  I pay $1922 per year for myself and one child, HDHP plan and my employer contributes $800 into the HSA.  Dental and vision insurance are separate and reasonable as well.

Between my wife and I, we have had insurance through 4 different employers. I believe these were the options on all four plans.

rocketman48097

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 01:09:02 PM »
118 per check for a family plan, 26 checks per year.  HOwever, mine is an HRA where the employer contributes 1k only, but there is a 2k deductible per person.  So if we run out of the 1st 1k, we are on the hook up to 2k per person (1k difference).  4k max for family.

still, compared to other places I have worked, this is still a pretty good plan.  Dental and vision is extra. 

cynthia1848

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 01:14:39 PM »
I pay $1000 every 4 weeks.  Covers me, DH, 3 kids.  That is pre-tax.

waffle

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 01:38:25 PM »
I pay about 80/month for a full family on a high deductible plan. 3000 deductible and 7000 out of pocket max. Company contributes 1000 to HSA annually. I'm pretty happy with my plan.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 01:50:20 PM »
$27.50 biweekly after employer health incentive discount. This is for a family of three, HDHP HSA compatible coverage. The coverage is decent and my employer pays an absolutely ungodly sum for it. They also contribute $750 the HSA and up to $1750 in possible additional incentives.

J'onn J'onzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 02:20:02 PM »
for a HDHP family plan I pay $120 for Medical + $9 for dental every 2 weeks, 26 checks per year, and company provides vision and 2x salary life.

Employer adds $400/year to HSA plus we have the ability to "earn" $800 by completely some wellness incentives.

$3000 in network deductible
$800 max out of pocket

Numbers Man

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 03:25:15 PM »
My wife's employer pays her to have a health plan. Our medical & dental premium is about $800 a year and the company puts $1,500 into our HSA.
Doctors have told us that we have a great plan. Talk about golden handcuffs.

nvmama

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 07:55:15 PM »
We pay for a family plan for myself, husband,and 2 kids.  It cost $174 per paycheck, 26 paychecks a year, pre-tax.  Dental is not included, except for the kids up to age 12.  For my husband and myself we pay as we go.

The medical insurance is a HMO with $750 deductible per person.  I do not remember the per family amount. 
I also utilize the flex spending account for our out of pocket expenses.

Terrestrial

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 08:04:48 PM »
$410 per month for myself, wife, 2 kids.  Covers decent medical, dental, and vision.  Company is picking up ~75% of our cost.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 08:17:44 PM »
$240 per month for a family - High Deductible Plan, with $1,000 HSA contribution from my employer.  We are on the hook for the first $5,000 - then 100% coverage.  Prescription drugs are included in the $5,000 amount.

The plan considers use of co-pay cards as applicable to the family annual OOP, so we definitely use those coupons at the beginning of the year to refill all our prescriptions. You just can't use the HSA for those prescriptions, which I am fine with.

DH's plan was $450/mo for a family with 80/20 coverage, $2,500/$5,000 family deductible, $10,000 medical OOP max and a separate prescription OOP max of $1,500. The way we looked at it was as long as no one had a major illness in January, we were way better off with my insurance. We had DH insurance last year (because I didn't work enough hours for medical), but I upped my hours enough to qualify this year and DH bought some extra vacation.

Stlbroke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 08:25:28 PM »
$200 a month.  It's the same if you are single or married with 18 kids

Heywood57

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 10:44:42 PM »
My portion is $362, the employer pays $1120

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 12:35:44 AM »
Holy fucking shitballs. I pay zero dollars extra per month to have my family covered (2 adults, 2 kids).

Setters-r-Better

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 06:13:13 AM »
Thank you for responding.  Those of you with hdhp, can you explain how that works and if you like it?  Not sure I really understand that set up.

TN_Steve

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 06:52:27 AM »
Thank you for responding.  Those of you with hdhp, can you explain how that works and if you like it?  Not sure I really understand that set up.

Basically, you are on the hook for 1000 to 10,000 before you get into coverage (excluding the "oil change" type stuff such as annual exam and mammogram).  This reduces the premium by a lot, especially at the fairly common 5000 or more deductible range.  Frequently paired with HSA so that, if you choose to do so, you can pay much or all of your share with untaxed dollars. 

gt7152b

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 08:09:47 AM »
$2600 per year, family of 4, high deductible plan. That includes a nice credit for getting medical screens each year. I also get $1200 added to my HSA by my employer each year. Would be even nicer if it didn't count towards my HSA contribution limit but I really don't have much to complain about. 

Bill76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2015, 08:38:30 AM »
~$50 bi-weekly for medical + dental.  Family coverage.

HDHP with $3k deductible, $9k max out of pocket.  Employer contributes $1200 to HSA at the beginning of the year, which basically offsets the cost of the premiums.  Not a bad deal.

According to my W-2, the plan costs my employer almost $11k per year!  We're a large, self-insured organization, so I guess that means my co-workers spend A LOT on health care.  All my family had last year was a handful of office visits.

mbl

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 09:40:22 AM »
$2.50 biweekly for HDHP for family,   $5200 deductible.   
Employer pays about $10,800/yr for employee on this plan.
Employer put money in on a diminishing scale until this year when they put in nothing.

2010  $2350
2011   $1500
2012   $1000
2013    $750
2014    $500

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2015, 10:49:11 AM »
We pay $157.50 for 24 of our 26 pay periods.  So $3,780 total for my family of 4.  That includes medical, dental, and vision and is actually over $1K less annually compared to my previous employer.

The coverage is pretty decent, IMO.  No deductible on the medical, reasonable copays ($20 for primary care).  I like it but I think an HSA would be a nice alternative.

If it was just me, my employer would pay 100% of the premiums, my share would be zero.  I think this is unusual for most US employers

FoundPeace

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2015, 11:28:24 AM »
We pay $149.54 per pay period (26) for a family of 4. This is for a HDHP plan with a $5,000 deductible and $2,000 company money into the HSA. I think this is a pretty sweet deal because we are only paying 1888 per year if you include the $2,000 they are giving back to us. This also includes dental and vision which are not a high deductible plan.

ABC123

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2015, 11:37:06 AM »
I pay $100 per month for me and the kiddos. My husband is on his employer's plan.  It's a hdhp, $3k deductible.  But my employer puts $1500 into a hsa just for doing some very simple health related activities.  Dental and vision insurance are separate and both very cheap.  I figured it out before kiddos the amount I pay in dental insurance is basically the same as I would pay for 2 cleanings.  The cleanings are covered 100% with the insurance, and because they are "free" I always go twice a year.  If I was paying separately, I might be tempted to skip them occasionally which would not be good for my teeth.  Anything else that might be needed, (cavities etc) are covered either 50% or 80%, so I figured that extra discount which I rarely need is just a bonus.  Now having the kids also going twice a year, I am definitely paying less for dental visits than I would without the insurance.

ninjaneer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2015, 11:45:22 AM »
I pay $370 per month for an HDHP family plan.  We have a $5k deductible and 100% coverage after that.  Employer kicks in some funds to the HSA, but it varies every year.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2015, 12:04:53 PM »
$360 a month for "family" coverage (self and DH), subsidized by my former employer.  I have Kaiser HRO with $20/$40 co-pays for doctor visits, $100 emergency room, $250 per hospital stay.  Chemo has no co-pay...wish I didn't know that.

Picklemeister

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2015, 12:51:27 PM »
$147/month for my husband and I. Looking at others' numbers and thinking about the quality of our insurance, I think we're getting a killer deal.

Reyes01

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2015, 12:05:32 AM »
I pay zero to have DW and two kids on my plan. Full medical with $25 co-pay and no deductible. Dental covers up to 1k per year, and vision just an exam. I work for a governmental agency.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2015, 12:24:43 AM »
I pay roughly $45/mon for the highest deductible/lowest premium plan offered, with my employer subsidizing 90%. It seriously blows my mind how insurance for one 22 year old, healthy male could possibly cost $500/month on a high deductible plan. I think I average around 1 doctor's visit every two years or so. Utter freaking crap.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 12:28:48 AM by moe_rants »

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2015, 05:27:45 AM »
We pay $899 per month for 2 adults and 2 kids. This includes dental. I am certain we are overinsured.

des999

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2015, 06:04:46 AM »
we pay $382 / month for a high deductible HSA plan.  no copays, $2000 / $10,000.  Company does match up to $900 per year. 

We actually hit out out of pocket for the year ($10,000) most years right now, so the good thing is that I can max out my HSA each year, and pay all my medical bills with pre-tax money. 

I think of HSA's as really good for people like me that have some kind of condition in the family so rack up a lot of bills, or someone like my wife and I were before we had a kid, and never go to the doctor other than for checkups.

I would think if you are some where in the middle it might not be a great plan, but overall I am really happy with my HSA. 

** I will point out that 5 years ago when I started I was paying about $150/month  for a family   ** 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2015, 06:54:57 AM »
We're at $138 a month for employee+spouse (I think family is more) for a high deductible. Deductible is $2500, max OOP is $6,000. They put $750 into the HSA in matching funds. This is a much better deal for us than for each of us to buy through our own employer; his options (in the public schools) are absolutely terrible.

We don't carry dental or vision - costs more than just paying for it.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2015, 08:08:08 AM »
$160 per month for a high deductible plan for me, my wife and son. Employer kicks in $1K for HSA. Family Deductible is $4K and OOP Max is $8K. Preventative visits are covered 100%.

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2015, 03:18:16 PM »
High deductible family plan (wife, 2 kids)

$365/mo
$3600 Deductible
$7200 max out of pocket
$500 employer HSA contribution

Looks like it could be better, could be worse.

alice76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2015, 07:02:34 PM »
Through my husband's ridiculously underpaid university job: $0 for a Cadillac family plan. He can't leave said job, however, because my (subsidized by employer) family plan is more than $900 a month.

In the hole

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2015, 07:15:43 AM »
4.5k per semester (9K a year) through my school, covers me, my wife and kid.

Put simply, we live on loans and absolutely cannot afford it, but we are planning on a second kid this year so I was thinking of continuing for one more year. The other option is Medicaid, which we have already qualified for.

I'm still trying to decide if we should keep the insurance next year or not. I want to be a responsible member of society but I also want to not borrow an extra 9 thousand dollars at 7% interest.

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2015, 07:44:57 AM »
We've been very blessed as far as health coverage goes.  The company I've worked for these last 26 years pays 100% of the premium so it's covered me, DH and 2 kids (who are now 22 and 20).  We've always had cadillac coverage... until a few years ago, there was no copay, no deductible... everything was covered 100% in network. 

A few years ago, we went to a plan with a $15 co-pay and a modest ($500) deductible.  But DH has Tri-care, so that picked up anything our primary insurance didn't cover.

3 years ago we moved to a high deductible plan ($6,000 family deductible) but to help offset that, our employer gave everyone with a family plan $5,000 in an HSA.  Since that money is investable, even with the medical expenses we've had, our balance in the HSA (with no contributions from us) is over $17,000.  When we retire later this year, that money will come with us.

Once we retire, we'll go on Tri-Care prime.  The premium for that is about $500 per year.

Blessed hardly even seems to cover it.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2015, 08:56:22 AM »
I have great insurance and it is 100% employer paid. That comes from working for a union that bargains for 100% employer paid plans. Former employers (a university, a provincial government) also paid 100%. This is extended health care, on top of the universal government plan, which currently is government paid. (This ebbs and flows according to the provincial economy. With the price of oil in an oil and gas dependent economy, we'll be paying premiums again soon.)

Magpie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2015, 10:17:28 AM »
We pay $348/month for a HMO and $30.50/month for dental for us and two children.  DH and I work for the same employer so he carries the kids and I have single coverage, it would be nice if they would let me stay on his plan as a dependent but they don't allow that.  If they did, monthly premium costs would drop to $262 for health and $19.50 for dental.  Copays and deductibles have been inching up over the past few years, but it's still a good benefit.

nobody123

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2015, 01:53:52 PM »
We pay $348/month for a HMO and $30.50/month for dental for us and two children.  DH and I work for the same employer so he carries the kids and I have single coverage, it would be nice if they would let me stay on his plan as a dependent but they don't allow that.  If they did, monthly premium costs would drop to $262 for health and $19.50 for dental.  Copays and deductibles have been inching up over the past few years, but it's still a good benefit.

A husband / wife at a previous job were in the same boat, due to the "the working spouse must take insurance if offered to them by their employer" rule.  It took them 5 years of complaining to HR, and another married couple falling into the same boat, to finally have the rule changed to allow them to be on one family plan.