Author Topic: Family discounts available for the singles?  (Read 3322 times)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
Family discounts available for the singles?
« on: August 05, 2015, 11:46:03 AM »
There are so many family type discounts that are not available to singles like me.  Are there ways to make them work for me or are there other discounts for loners that I'm not aware of?  I don't want to expose my account numbers, login info, or personal preferences to others when I share services. 

Cell phone:  Currently on family plan with my mother.  I pay the entire bill.  Is there a way to add friends without footing the bill myself? 

Amazon prime:  Wasn't aware there was a way to share with other adults without sharing login info until they took the benefit away.  Any ideas out there for similar service?

Netflix:  Is there a way to share an account without my preferences showing up on someone else's TV screen and vice versa? 

I am in a dense urban environment and could theoretically "feed" off of someone else's broadband, but I also don't want anyone else in my network.  Could I set up two routers- one for me, one for neighbor, and share something there?

Anything else I should think about? Any way to share savings when you don't have the intimacy/trust of a marriage of family? 

KittyCat

• Stubble
Re: Family discounts available for the singles?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 12:15:13 PM »
Regarding the cell phone plan: you cannot split the bill of traditional plans, but Sprint has a "Framily" plan that does

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 12:17:37 PM »
Regarding the cell phone plan: you cannot split the bill of traditional plans, but Sprint has a "Framily" plan that does
I was going to mention that specifically because they've discontinued it (existing planholders are grandfathered in)

I am a late adopter of new things, and often I only find out about how great they are when a news article explains how many benefits will be lost now that it's going away.  I need to hop onto the bandwagon much earlier!

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 12:19:15 PM »
Oh, bah! Sorry; good luck!

snuggler

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 12:27:14 PM »
Netflix has the option to create different profiles. If you trust someone enough, you could trust them to create a separate profile and not to look at yours. If you use Netflix with any frequency, it actually is a pain to use someone else's profile, because then Netflix remembers their information about what episodes you've already watched.

I also used to get memberships with a roommate as a domestic partner. For example, a roommate and I shared a Costco membership for a couple of years. I didn't feel bad about it because we actually were domestic partners, just not romantic partners.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 12:33:57 PM »

Amazon prime:  Wasn't aware there was a way to share with other adults without sharing login info until they took the benefit away.  Any ideas out there for similar service?

They took that away? My sister shares her prime with me.  I only get the shipping benefits, everything else can't share without login.  And the information never said anything about 'family'.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 03:08:40 PM »

They took that away? My sister shares her prime with me.  I only get the shipping benefits, everything else can't share without login.  And the information never said anything about 'family'.
Yup.
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/amazon-quietly-limits-prime-customers-share-benefits-household/story?id=32876139

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 03:48:56 PM »
That's sad, though I guess it is nice you can share the OTHER stuff now.

Looks like I'm grandfathered as long as she doesn't remove me though.