Author Topic: Face-punch worthy? Should I walk to work?  (Read 10529 times)

reformingSucka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Face-punch worthy? Should I walk to work?
« on: November 07, 2017, 09:35:08 AM »
UPDATE:
I decided to bike to work. Nearly one month in and I am loving it. There is a learning curve though, like the one time I forgot to pack my work clothes in my backpack. Also, the ride home is all up hill. So that is a two-for-one deal, I get home and I get some exercise. Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

Hello MMMers,

I have been struggling with whether or not to start walking to work. It is about a 30 minute walk, or aprox. 2 miles each way. The total estimated savings is $1400 a year in parking costs alone - I have to pay to park at work. I don't have a car payment, so gas and maintenance would be the additional costs. Biking is not a viable option in the area.

So why haven't I done this already? I would have to wake up and be out of my house by 6 am and  I don't want to lose my parking spot - they have a lottery to get parking in the area, and even for what I pay now - it's a deal. Also, this may be a silly reason - but I like the option of going back home during lunch or day if something at home needs my attention.

Advice and thoughts greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:29:42 AM by reformingSucka »

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Face-punch worthy? Should I walk to work?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 09:40:36 AM »
How come biking isn't an option? How often do you actually go home during the day, and how much would it cost to drive only when that is necessary?

vertkurt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 09:49:00 AM »
You could also run/jog? Not sure how fast your mile time is, but its quicker than the 30 min walk. Currently I bike 3.5 miles each way, but have been tossing the idea around of running instead. My employer charges for parking also and I WILL NOT pay money to show up for work. Another idea would be a scooter or one of those electric unicycles/skateboards for the sidewalks.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 09:52:31 AM »
Yes to both questions.

Your situation is the perfect situation to any mustachian! I would love to be able to walk to work, but there are literally <10 houses within walking distance of work and none for rent.

Also, like MMM says, if there are paved roads, then it's viable for biking.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 09:55:56 AM »
Two miles! You're being ridiculous and yes, you should be facepunched :)

Let's say you work 50 weeks out of the year, that's 50*5*4 miles=1000 miles of driving/year, plus $1400 just for parking. Starting an engine from cold is harder on an engine and also diminishes fuel efficiency.

Not clear why you think biking is not an option. If it's because you don't have a place to store the bike at work then get a folding bike, or even a scooter for adults (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Fuzion-Cityglide-Adult-Kick-Scooter/dp/B00O84TLCC). By bike your commute should be about the same as by car, perhaps slightly longer by scooter.

If hills are an issue then get an ebike.

For the amount you pay for parking/year you can get a folding electric ebike with beefy wheels (for snow, dirt, etc) - https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radmini-electric-folding-fat-bike

reformingSucka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 09:56:39 AM »
How come biking isn't an option? How often do you actually go home during the day, and how much would it cost to drive only when that is necessary?

Biking is not really an options as I live in a rather hilly, narrow, and very busy (traffic area) with no bike lanes, I see a near-miss or minor accidents in the area happen weekly.

I probably go home 2-3 times a month - not for lunch, I brown bag. But I do sometimes forget work-related things at home that I like picking up during my lunch hour.

The cost of parking per day can vary from $8-20 dollars, depending on events going on in the area. Uber/Lyft during high commute times costs about $4-8+ dollars each way.

reformingSucka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 10:00:35 AM »
Two miles! You're being ridiculous and yes, you should be facepunched :)

Let's say you work 50 weeks out of the year, that's 50*5*4 miles=1000 miles of driving/year, plus $1400 just for parking. Starting an engine from cold is harder on an engine and also diminishes fuel efficiency.

Not clear why you think biking is not an option. If it's because you don't have a place to store the bike at work then get a folding bike, or even a scooter for adults (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Fuzion-Cityglide-Adult-Kick-Scooter/dp/B00O84TLCC). By bike your commute should be about the same as by car, perhaps slightly longer by scooter.

If hills are an issue then get an ebike.

For the amount you pay for parking/year you can get a folding electric ebike with beefy wheels (for snow, dirt, etc) - https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radmini-electric-folding-fat-bike

Yes, yes. I need to cure myself of clown car disease. And the motorized bike is an option I had not thought of, thanks! The motorized bike would also solve the few times a month that I may need to go home during the day.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 10:01:26 AM »

Biking is not really an options as I live in a rather hilly, narrow, and very busy (traffic area) with no bike lanes, I see a near-miss or minor accidents in the area happen weekly.

I probably go home 2-3 times a month - not for lunch, I brown bag. But I do sometimes forget work-related things at home that I like picking up during my lunch hour.

The cost of parking per day can vary from $8-20 dollars, depending on events going on in the area. Uber/Lyft during high commute times costs about $4-8+ dollars each way.

And there aren't any side streets that cut through the busy areas? I rarely take the same path biking that I would driving. I usually take side streets and only cross busy roads. Sometimes it makes it slightly longer.

Forgetting something at home 2-3 times per month is a silly reason to not walk. If you are on foot, you'll probably make sure to not forget things and/or do without them.

Have you tried walking yet? At least give it a go for a week. You'll likely find it is so much more enjoyable that it is worth whatever minor additional hassle it creates for you.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 10:10:43 AM »
If Uber is $4-8 each way, I'd argue that's cheaper than driving. The Uber fee basically offsets the parking fee. Then let's say 25-50 cents per mile for gas, depreciation, maintenance, etc.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 10:16:37 AM »
Personally, I'd walk.  (Well, actually I'd do my damnedest to find a way to bike because that's like a five minute easy bike ride . . . but if that was really out, then I'd walk).  You've got a huge potential savings for pretty minimal input, and it's good for the soul to spend some time outdoors on a daily basis.  Listen to some books on tape, podcasts, or music to maximize your time while walking.

I used to forget things when I started cycling regularly.  You learn fast.

vertkurt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 10:29:25 AM »
Another idea would be a scooter or one of those electric unicycles/skateboards for the sidewalks.

One of these bad boys. http://rynomotors.com/the-ride/easy-riding/

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 10:39:57 AM »
I'm jealous. I would LOVE to walk to work. As someone else mentioned, you could always jog one direction if you are a running type. Jog home, or leave a stash of clothes at work on Monday and jog to work (if they have showers) and then walk home in the evening. What a lovely problem to have.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 10:42:18 AM »
Yes you should walk, that's nothing of a commute, and I can't believe you drive and pay to park!!

CogentCap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 11:00:21 AM »

Have you used google maps to look for a bike route?  It took me ages to figure that one out.  The biking path is almost never the same as a driving route.  Unless you live in a place with extremely limited road service (sounds unlikely based on the dangers you mentioned) it would probably give you a route on some pleasant side roads.

As an aside, I drove down the big main artery road in my area to merge onto the highway for 10 years before I ever realized it went right along the river, and there is  beautiful riverside bike path that goes alongside and beneath it.  Very safe and very pretty.  I couldn't believe it had been there that whole time and I never knew (you can't see it from the road, and vice versa).

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 11:22:27 AM »
Bus??

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 11:32:09 AM »
Eh, I think it's worth a shot to try walking--can you try walking for a few weeks and not lose the parking spot? I walk to work nearly every day--it's less than a mile for me, but it did take me some time to get used to it, and get proper gear for walking in winter.

Just start doing it tomorrow, right away, and see how it goes.

Do you absolutely have to be at work at a particular time each day? I walk but have a flexible schedule so if I show up at 7:15 vs. 7:30, it's no issue. I find that walking in the morning is a great way to wake up. You can also listen to music or audiobooks or podcasts, just like you would in the car, but I find it nice to be outside, enjoying the fresh air, sunrise, etc..

I'll admit I have driven to work (or gotten a ride) when it's below -10 F, because I've learned that's my temperature limit (and my husband is concerned I could slip on ice and freeze to death). I plan easy lunches I can bring to work--and if you ever forget lunch, it's a good excuse to order something in, or walk to a nearby place for lunch.

Also, co-workers know I walk to work and have offered to give me rides home if weather is bad--rainy, snowy, whatever. I have only ever taken someone up on this offer once in all my years of walking, but it's surprising how generous people are if they know you'll be hoofing it.

brycedoula

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 11:35:51 AM »
Although the early-AM departure is off-putting - you should DEFINITELY walk!

Before I got engaged I used to walk to work from my condo. It was approximately 1.25 miles each way. It was FANTASTIC exercise (I could practically eat whatever I wanted & not gain any weight!!) and a really great way to decompress after a busy work day. I also saved ~$85.00/month by not having a bus pass.

I now live much farther from my job & my daily commute is a 30-45 minute (each way) bus ride. I miss my walking :(

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 11:40:15 AM »
LOL yeah you need a face-punch. You've come to the right place! :)

Try it a few times. I bet you end up liking it! I live 7 miles and was able to get walk/run down to 1hr 15min each way. I loved it but too much time away from home (fam time), so I bike instead (30min)

And Uber/Lyft is cheap enough it's a backup option in case you need to leave the office for a bit, etc.

good luck!!

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 11:54:10 AM »
Four miles a day is absolutely nothing to walk and you may even prefer it to biking (and you should definitely at least do this), but I guarantee there's a safer way to get to work that you haven't considered by bike.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 11:54:55 AM »
I would definitely walk that.  I walk almost two miles most days during my lunch break at work anyway.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 12:17:15 PM »
Definitely walk. I walk 45 min each way to work. I could bike in 15 min but I知 walking for the extra benefits of the exercise, best exercise you can actually. If I want/need quicker, or it痴 raining or whatever lame-ass excuse comes up, I just use the train or taxi/Uber.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 12:21:00 PM »
Honestly, I think the biggest problem with the situation is that there isn't enough distance.  Another 8 miles and it would be a fun bike ride, another mile or two would be a fun jog.  As it is it's just slightly longer than I'd prefer to walk.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2017, 01:28:51 PM »
I'd absolutely walk (if biking was really out of the question).  Over such a short distance, though, you could certainly afford to take a less-direct, more bike friendly route.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2017, 01:44:33 PM »
Is there a sidewalk to ride a bike on for the worst sections?  I dont really like biking on sidewalks but if there are no other good options.  Also there is cycling to work and there is riding a junker bike to work, two miles is not worth spandex and a shower but a casual ride on a 'bar bike' might be ok. 

At the very least you need to try to get into the habit of walking. 

Do you pay for the parking spot even if you dont use it on a given day?

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2017, 02:24:54 PM »
2 miles? I love biking, but I would walk. Almost not worth breaking out a bike and having to park/lock it for that much distance.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2017, 02:34:28 PM »
It probably takes you longer than 30 minutes (I doubt you walk 4 mph...) if it's 2 miles, probably 2/3 hr or 40 mins at a brisk pace (3 mph).

Paleeeeeeeeze!  Drive????????????????????  NONONONONONONONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

remizidae

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2017, 03:23:27 PM »
99% of the time when people say "biking is infeasible due to circumstances" it turns out to be bullshit. You are no exception.

"But I can't there are hills!"

Think of them as opportunities to build muscle.

"But I can't there are cars!"

Find another route, ride on the sidewalk, or just get used to riding in traffic. Plenty of people do it.

"But I'll lose my parking space!"

You live TWO MILES from work. What the hell would you need a parking space for? You can walk that distance (and I have) when it's 30 below and the snow is knee-deep.

It blows my mind that you are paying money to drive to work when you could easily get there for free and get a workout into the bargain. Okay, two miles isn't really a workout, but it's a hell of a lot better than the sitting on your ass you're currently doing.

Walking is an acceptable option, but biking would allow you to go home at lunchtime if you want. An e-bike is not necessary. You do not need a motor to go TWO MILES. Don't be a wimp.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2017, 03:42:43 PM »
I walk a bit under 2 miles each way for my commute. Its superb! Do it. I used to cycle commute longer distances but now that I live this close, walking is in many ways better. So much less fuss at each end than with a bike (eg getting ready, checking bike, helmet (Aus), potential lights, locking bike, etc, etc).

After a while your speed will increase and you'll get your time down. I'm an insanely fast walker, my commute I can do in 20minutes. Most of my colleagues take twice as long to get to work via bus or car.

TrMama

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2017, 03:54:22 PM »
2 miles is nothing. I'd skip the walk/bike debate and rollerblade it. It would be so much fun!

And before you say you can't rollerblade on hills, you can. They have brakes,  you can slalom the steep bits and going uphill is easy, you just take short steps.

For $1400/yr you could get some sweet sports equipment to make your commute into playtime.

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2017, 04:03:53 PM »
I ride my bike 18 miles each way to work. You really have no excuse not to walk. Here, take my face punch.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2017, 04:29:06 PM »
I would walk.  I never did have that kind of commute, but long ago and far away, I lived in the DC area. 

First rental, I walked 0.6 miles to the metro.  Took the metro (orange/blue) then walked 0.4 miles to work.  So it was only 1 mile.

Last rental, I walked 1 mile to work.  And walked home most days.  Sometimes I bummed a ride.

So I've done 1 mile each way.  It was great.  It was $75-100 a month to park at work or anywhere nearby.  Luckily for me, the majority of the walk could be completed underground for rainy/ snowy days.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2017, 06:48:06 PM »
FACE PUNCH!

WALK ALREADY!

You will love it.

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2017, 10:58:34 PM »
walk!

for a halfway step, you could take Lyft in the morning and make the walk home more leisurely, like if you want to make phone calls as you go, or stop for an errand on your way.

or maybe do a slow jog if you want to get there faster

pk_aeryn

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2017, 11:34:13 PM »
Start playing Pok駑on Go and get that dopamine from hatching a 5k egg every day.  (I'm not being sarcastic, I walk that much on my lunch break to play and I wish I could afford to live walking distance to work to have opportunities to walk more). You will be addicted to walking to work for sure.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2017, 05:24:50 AM »
I was recently laid off from a 1.8mile door to door commute.  I miss it dearly. 

I walked, biked, and skateboarded to work.  Skateboarding was my favorite way to get back and fourth to work - took about 12 minutes and was a fantastic workout.  Went through shoes like they were candy though, and took a few wipe-outs that are tougher now that I'm not a child.  A couple good hills to slalom down on the way home (more uphill on the way to work) was a thrill.  I found that 2 miles on a bike can be a good exercise on a 1 speed if you have a good hill or two to climb.

I didn't have to pay to park, so I did drive if I was running late or the weather was bad.  I hate being cold, so I drove a good part of the winter since mornings are often below 20 degrees or so - although it was still cold in the car - but it was much shorter.

I lost 15lbs one summer while I was also counting my calories.

I figure to drive 1.8 miles to work is $337/year at 54 cents per mile (the government rate).  I could drive every day if I wanted.  But I preferred the quiet walk to work with a nice walk home in the afternoon with my daughter (her school was right next door to my work).  I found that I actually would walk different routes to make my walk a little longer if it was nice out.

Most people spend 30 minutes each way in their car listening to talk radio and morning shows - ugh.  I spend it on my feet waking up, listening to the birds, enjoying the sound of the water in the creek, watching the seasons change, and enjoying the sunrise or sunset depending on the time of year.  Talking to my neighbors if I walk by someone that wants to say hi - I know this is a novel concept.  Petting someone's dog.  Giving a big smile to everyone I see.  Complimenting the young neighbor on the remodel of a run-down house in the neighborhood when I see them fixing it.  Having great discussions with my daughter has been priceless, and as she grows and the discussions become more mature, it's even better - time well spent that I often miss when I'm home just because there is so much to do.

I DO spend a LOT more money on shoes.  I want good shoes that last a while and won't mess up my feet.  Probably offsetting the actual cost of the commute, but quality of life is way better.  A good pair of walking shoes each year is about $50-100.

The new job is only 1 mile door-to-door - still the same wonderful path.  The same distance walk too since I still have to take my daughter to school which is closer to my old companies building.

Just try it.  I bet you like it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 05:32:36 AM by COEE »

LadyDividend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Lady Dividend
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2017, 10:12:38 AM »
If you're not a fan of biking, perhaps because of work clothes, get a scooter! This distance would be so easy to cross on a scooter!

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2017, 02:28:03 PM »
I am beyond jealous!

I live 28mi from work.  It sucks.  It sucks big time.  It sucks the life out of me.  Its shit on a stick.

The silver lining for me is that DW is only 2mi from her workplace.  She bikes it regularly and actually enjoys her 30min RT commute.

I sit in a car for 90 min a day (if I'm lucky).  When it gets bad, its 120+ min.  I get to enjoy all humanity has to offer during this time.  There's not much positive out there in rager cager land.

I know I don't have all that much longer to do this though.  That keeps me partially sane.

A 2mi walk would be a damn happy rainbow dream for me. 

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2017, 07:21:22 PM »
At various times I've commuted by foot, bike, transit, and car.

Walking to work is by far the best. It's relaxing, clears your mind, and kind of zen. Also great for your health.

reformingSucka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2017, 11:47:07 PM »
I will be waking! I知 going to start with a couple times a week, and tradition to full time soon. Since my parking requires a months notice, I知 going to transition into full time walking by 2018. Thanks for the face-punches :) and motivation!

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2017, 04:52:38 AM »
Be organised or do without. Walk.

redbirdfan

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2017, 03:59:08 PM »
Great decision!  Get some podcasts and some headphones and enjoy the savings!  Put your parking fee to work before you start to spend it. 

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2017, 05:32:41 AM »
I will be waking! I知 going to start with a couple times a week, and tradition to full time soon. Since my parking requires a months notice, I知 going to transition into full time walking by 2018. Thanks for the face-punches :) and motivation!

Let us know how it goes!  :)

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2017, 06:33:21 AM »
Awesome sauce!  *Two big thumbs up!*

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2017, 06:49:27 AM »
Walk or buy an autoped. With that you can easily switch between walking when necessary and speeding up when you can.

reformingSucka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2018, 09:27:51 AM »

Let us know how it goes!  :)

I am near the end of month 1 - I ended up deciding to ride my bike! And loving it so far! There is a learning curve... like the day I forgot to pack my work clothes in my backpack. And my ride back home is all hill - which I guess is a 2 for 1. Exercise + getting home. Thanks!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2018, 01:35:30 AM »
I am near the end of month 1 - I ended up deciding to ride my bike! And loving it so far! There is a learning curve... like the day I forgot to pack my work clothes in my backpack. And my ride back home is all hill - which I guess is a 2 for 1. Exercise + getting home. Thanks!

Well done. It is indeed best to have the bill on your way back. This way you can get to work non-sweating without a need to shower and sweat on your way back.

You could consider putting a complete set of clothes in your office, for just in case. My DH usually has some clothes at work, as he bikes often.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2018, 07:59:31 AM »

Right on!  One of us  . . .  one of us . . .

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2018, 08:14:47 AM »

That's awesome news!  Good for you for making that change!  :)

TrMama

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2018, 09:38:06 AM »
Yay! Welcome to the club :-)

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2018, 10:45:36 AM »
Way to go!!