Author Topic: Face Punch on Upgrades to Our Only Family Car  (Read 5573 times)

onemorebike

• Bristles
Face Punch on Upgrades to Our Only Family Car
« on: December 28, 2014, 02:21:52 PM »
As I've discussed in a few other threads, we are moving and downsizing in the process. Just sold off one car and we are left with a 2002 Honda Odyssey and lots of bicycling. We are moving to Minneapolis, where it can be colder. In the process of discussing this with my wife, I thought it might make the move (while becoming a one car family) easier if we were to add a working CD player (w/ blue tooth for phones/music) and a remote start (for the cold as heck winters). We made about $2700 off of selling the other car and have untold savings in the future from being a one car family - I want to make this life change as comfortable as possible. I bet I can get both installed for under $250 at Cartoys or the like. Maybe even a hundred bucks cheaper if I decide to DIY it. Is this facepunch worthy?

-onemorebike

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
Re: Face Punch on Upgrades to Our Only Family Car
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 02:34:04 PM »
Why add a CD player, why not just buy the little cord for an iPod type thing?  And people get their cars stolen that way.  ;)

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 02:53:09 PM »
Why add a CD player, why not just buy the little cord for an iPod type thing?  And people get their cars stolen that way.  ;)

Gin1984,

I considered that (and continue to), I can pick up a tape that plays anything plugged into it for 2 bucks. The  two disadvantages are not being able to use handfree phone stuff and more cords. Not a deal breaker, but more of a pain.

As I mentioned, just trying to make one vehicle feel like it is "working" so my DW doesn't turn and run the other direction on the one car family thing. I'm not sure this is something that will actually make a difference. The autostarter definitely will, car theft on a crazy snowy/cold day is something I'm willing to risk. :)

cacaoheart

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 03:15:48 PM »
I'm not sure about the auto start feature, but installing a new stereo into my wife's nissan went smoothly thanks to crutchfield having not just the stereo but the right components to make it fit into her dash.  You can search by car model and look at prices here: http://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/All-Car-Stereos.html?tp=5684&nvpair=FFBluetooth_Hands_Free_Calling|Built-in

To me it was worth the ~$120 I paid.

FreeWheel

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 11:26:20 AM »
I would not do the remote start. Extended warm up is a waste of fuel, is bad for the environment, and is not even good for the motor. All manufactures recommend idling for less than a minute, and then accelerating easily when first starting out. Cars warm up quickest when they are driven.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 11:31:10 AM »
Remote start is unnecessary and fuel wasteful.  C/D player, are you kidding?  Get an MP3 (ipod and the like) plug in.  No, the music is pretty basic.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 11:31:13 AM »
As a MN resident (just outside the twin cities), remote starts are a huge waste of gas. People click them on for like 20 minutes and then wear a light jacket when it's 10 below. Just wear a bigger coat! If you really want to prep for winter, buy a set of snow tires and a winter parka.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 11:48:03 AM »
Maybe opt to not use your phone while driving.  People survived just fine before cell phones.  Once you cut back on that, you'll not feel as pressured and compelled to modify your car around your phone - that really gets expensive.

FreeWheel

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 12:13:31 PM »
As a MN resident (just outside the twin cities), remote starts are a huge waste of gas. People click them on for like 20 minutes and then wear a light jacket when it's 10 below. Just wear a bigger coat! If you really want to prep for winter, buy a set of snow tires and a winter parka.

This is what they do at my work. Then when I ride up on my bike in the morning there are dozens of cars of the previous shift employees idling away that I get to ride past. P-U, Choke, Choke.

But hey, if getting (and using) these two upgrades eliminates a second car then it's still a win.

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 01:04:14 PM »
I think these kinds of discussions devolve into majoring in minor things. You're driving a 12 (soon to be 13) year old minivan, which is admirable.

Knock yourself out and buy the shit you want to. Incidentally, I spent far more than you pimping out the now 14+ year old Subaru I "acquired" from my wife nearly 18 months ago. As for the CD player, I never use it. It's all about streaming from my iPhone.

Oh, and I just came back from a visit from my in-laws, most of whom talk about how "poor" they are (one family sort of is...sort of...) and yet they ALL drive 2011 cars or newer.

So again, buy your freakin' CD player and remote starter. P.S. I also hate "idling" so I'm giving this advice out of respect for your wants.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 01:08:44 PM »
We live in Iowa. It's cold here, though not quite Minnesota.  But cold.  I mean, we get well below zero for extended periods of time too.

The remote start is useless.  By the time we are close enough to start the car, we are too close for it to spend anytime heating up.  We find heated seats to be WAY more useful.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 01:10:40 PM by iowajes »

LadyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 03:00:28 PM »
I have remote start and I love it. I park outside, either in the driveway or on the street. There's frost and/or snow on my car on most winter mornings and it takes a few minutes for the car to warm up enough to defrost the windshield. I try not to start the car too long before I plan to leave though, maybe 5-10 minutes before. I think it was about $200 to install and for me it was worth it because it saves me so much time in the morning. If you plan to have covered parking, it may not be as advantageous.