Author Topic: Eyeglasses Issue: help needed  (Read 1516 times)

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
Eyeglasses Issue: help needed
« on: February 01, 2021, 11:19:18 PM »
Hi folks,
I'm having some issues with some eyeglasses and would love some advice on what to do.
1. I bike a lot (commuting, shopping) and have some curved frame glasses for that purpose.
2. I use progressive lenses.
3. I went up in prescription recently.
4. When my eyes were checked my ophthalmologist and optometrist who are usually excellent did the work.
5. I used the eye doctor's eyeglass optician's shop to order the lenses. The last time I got lenses none of the local less expensive opticians were able to provide the lenses.
6. When I got the lenses, I noticed a small disparity in power between my eyes. It's not huge but it's there. Usually my prescriptions are well-balanced between my eyes.
7. There is another issue. The new big fat lenses don't fit well in my existing expensive frames. The frames now hang loosely on my face which is a problem on a bike. (They don't block wind or debris well and might fall off.)
What do I do about all of this? Is this unbalanced vision normal with eyeglasses & I have just been lucky with past prescriptions? Should I demand a new set of lenses? Request a second eye exam? What can I expect the optician to do? Will I have to fight my insurance company to get another eye exam? Should I seek a free exam from the eye doctor?
Also, how can I get a tighter fit of the eyeglass frames? The optician wasn't able to tighten them and even tried heating the frames.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 11:23:44 PM by BrooklineBiker »

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Re: Eyeglasses Issue: help needed
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 04:24:31 AM »
I’d go back and talk to the doctor if the prescription seems off.

With a strong prescription not every frame will work. My lenses limit my frame choice. Can you use a strap to keep the glasses in place better?

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 05:33:22 AM »
Did you switch from glass to plastic?  (Or have they been plastic up until now) Glass has obvious issues in a sports frame, but they will be thinner.  They will, though, also be heavier.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 07:04:42 AM »
K, well first, I'm having a hard time parsing exactly what your issue is, but at least it looks like you have only one issue and not 7.

From what I understand, you have frames you like for biking and recently got new progressive lenses made at the ophthalmology clinic, and now you don't feel happy with your glasses anymore.

To me the obvious next step is to bring them back and explain that they are no longer comfortable and that you are not satisfied with the product and service you received.

They might just fix it for you, cross the bridge of worrying about demanding things or what insurance will pay if/when you have to cross that bridge. Don't worry about it until you have to. Just bring the glasses back and see first if they can explain why the new lenses don't fit, why your frames are now loose, and why the vision between the two eyes doesn't feel consistent.

It may be a fixable thing and it may not. Try to work with the ophthalmologist towards an acceptable conclusion. Don't anticipate being disappointed unless and until you have to.

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 08:55:37 AM »
Call the ophthalmologist office and tell them what is going on. They most likely have a code to use for this type of situation to retest your eyes. They will double check that they got the script right.

Over the years I have gone from a strong prescription to none at all for glasses. When I get tired and stressed my astigmatism will flair and cause me issues.

They should be able to make your lenses work in the frames you like also.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 09:58:22 AM »
Are these your first progressives? They require a larger frame to get things right than regular lenses.

I have been paying the extra for polycarbonate lenses for several years. My eyes have always been pretty bad, plus I have these tiny little ears that don't hold most frames very well. They are so light that I can actually keep my glasses on my face.

For sports, we are also looking into prescription sport goggles, which are cheap by comparison to my top of the line Zenni lenses. However, DH is taking the lead on that, so I don't even remember which company he identified.

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 07:46:55 PM »
Are these your first progressives? They require a larger frame to get things right than regular lenses.
Ths is my second set of progressive lenses using the first frame I purchased for progressives.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 06:49:13 AM »
Ths is my second set of progressive lenses using the first frame I purchased for progressives.

So, what did you end up doing?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!