Author Topic: extra dough  (Read 1860 times)

kelladoo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
extra dough
« on: September 15, 2015, 10:17:36 AM »
Hey there all you smart people! I need a little advice. My husband and I are about 30 years old, just sold our house, relocated and downsized. We now have a good chunk of cash from the house proceeds that we don’t quite know how to invest. Here is our situation:

-No debt
-No kids yet
-Renting a place biking distance from work (The housing market in our area is inflated right now and we are not interested in buying a house for the next couple of years. Buying land  – maybe.)
-401Ks on track to be maxed out this year
-Roth IRAs fully funded this year
-Existing investments in Vanguard and Lending Club

Our goal is to be financially independent by the time we are 40. (Not sure yet if that is realistic or is something we will have a good laugh about once we’re 40 with a couple of kiddos.) We are considering investing more money in Vanguard and Lending Club, but want to be sure we are doing everything we can to maximize use of tax-advantaged accounts, or take advantage of this moment in time where we have a large amount of liquid cash. Any suggestions?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: extra dough
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 11:56:37 AM »
i thought this thread was going to be about pizza dough or similar...

You sound like you are doing well.  My thoughts:
check to see if you are eligible for an HSA.  If you are, max that out before anything else.

Otherwise, invest all your extra cash in whatever your ISP suggests.  I'd invest it in a low-cost index fund thru Vanguard, but Betterment, Fidelity etc are fine choices too.

I'm assuming you have no large outstanding debts sitting around of course.