Author Topic: Extra cash spent on vacation or investments/mortage  (Read 2569 times)

Comar

• Stubble
Extra cash spent on vacation or investments/mortage
« on: January 20, 2016, 02:10:35 AM »
I started a new job in the beginning of this year. I had some saved up vacation days from my old job that I will get paid in february (because I didn't use them for vacation). Come summer I will have earned the right to take 8 paid days off. I can extend my vacation time if I use my old "vacation money".

I'm wondering if 8 days is enough. I'm a bit torn between taking only 8 days off and using the other money to buy funds (now in sale thanks to China) or make a downpayment on my mortage. On the other hand I could be on vacation longer but it will slow my FI dates.

Personally I don't need more that 8 days but I'm thinking about time spent with my son. My son is young and sometimes I feel guilty I'm not spending enough time with him. He grows fast. However, he is happy and well and I do spend most of my free time with him and my wife, the hours after I leave work at 16 and all weekends.

Any advice?

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Re: Extra cash spent on vacation or investments/mortage
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 08:19:12 AM »
No money is as important or as valuable as the time you can spend with your child. You can always replace that bit of income but you cant go back in time and spend time with your child.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 08:22:01 AM »
No money is as important or as valuable as the time you can spend with your child. You can always replace that bit of income but you cant go back in time and spend time with your child.

THIS! Completely agree!

And also: vacation is important to keep you healthy - physically and mentally. Everybody needs a break once in a while. And if you want to be able to work for another few years, invest in yourself and your family and take that vacation.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 08:22:23 AM »
Take the time off.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!