Author Topic: Experience with DIY Soylent  (Read 3501 times)

Lordy

• Stubble
Experience with DIY Soylent
« on: May 31, 2015, 05:02:38 PM »
Hello all,

has any of you tried some DIY Soylent? I have read a lot about it and find the idea quite interesting but before I commit to ordering a bunch of stuff I would like to read about your experience.

Here are my questions:
- Have you tried it? If yes, which recipe?
- How long/frequently did/do you use it?
- Did you notice any positive/negative effects?

I currently travel regularly which makes the idea of having a simple/consistent food source (that is not McD) available a bit more appealing, although my employer pays for meals on the road.

Thanks, Lordy

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Experience with DIY Soylent
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 07:02:12 PM »
1500 Days to Freedom tried it - you can check out his notes: http://www.1500days.com

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 08:43:47 PM »
It took me awhile to realize this wasn't some reference to Soylent Green.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 08:53:14 PM »
It took me awhile to realize this wasn't some reference to Soylent Green.
LOL! Me, too.

Chesterfield

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 11:51:12 PM »
Bought some soylent after reading about it. Took about a year to get. Mixed it up and tried it. Decided I would rather eat my food.
I think I will be selling the extra packs on ebay. It's not bad, but it is not the same as eating.

jonchappelle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 09:28:55 AM »
I have used the 'official' V1.3 and V1.4.

V 1.3 - no sodium, used for 2+ meals a day, by dinner I was craving anything with salt. Adding table salt gave it a funky taste...

V 1.4 - added sodium, but I backed down to 3 lunches a week. Just enough to simplify my diet and routine.

With any major diet change, it takes me about a month for my body to adjust. Taste is generally pretty bland. V1.4 tastes a little weirder than V1.3, and both versions have a slightly grainy texture. I've taken protein supplements regularly before trying this, so I was pretty accustomed anyways. IMO, most protein supplements taste better and fluidize better for texture.

I cancelled my subscription; my supply was growing too quickly now that I only use it for 3 lunches a week. There are cheaper protein supplements out there, and carbs are easy to come by...

Researcher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 12:05:04 PM »
I've been using official 1.4 for a few weeks now. I blend it with a banana and some strawberries and it goes down well. Better than picking up fast food when I am not in the mood to cook. I have some daily, but haven't really noticed anything out of the ordinary.