Author Topic: Expensive things you've tried that just aren't worth it (add to the list!)  (Read 46294 times)

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
Fancy restaurants. One in particular actually. Had amazing reviews and way way overpriced food. It was a special occasion and against better judgement we decided to go. The food was horrible. It was bizarre things that they called 'art'. Food.. Is food and I just don't understand those upscale restaurants that serve an amount of food for a bird because they made a fancy looking drizzle on the plate. Anyways.. I much prefer normal meals. We make some great fantastic meals at home and that restaurant(well, many) are not worth the price!

As for the posts about Sephora, I have only ever been inside but never purchased. Prices are crazy. The drugstore makeup does just fine, least for me.

Annie Hall (1977)

Alvy Singer: [addressing the camera] There's an old joke - um... two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions."

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
1440p displays on smartphones.

I don't think the 1440p display is worth the penalty to performance and battery life over a 1080p display (or even 720p if the screen is small enough).

The difference between the 538ppi (1440p) display on my current phone and the 326ppi display on my previous iPhone isn't all that much, really. I'd rather a lower pixel density display and better performance. :)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
1440p displays on smartphones.

I don't think the 1440p display is worth the penalty to performance and battery life over a 1080p display (or even 720p if the screen is small enough).

The difference between the 538ppi (1440p) display on my current phone and the 326ppi display on my previous iPhone isn't all that much, really. I'd rather a lower pixel density display and better performance. :)
Yeah, pretty much anything beyond 300dpi is beyond your eye's ability to distinguish, at reasonable viewing distances.

VladTheImpaler

• Stubble
The evidence says expensive wine.

I'd bet a similar effect holds for coffee and beer, but I expect people to be much more defensive about those ones, since it's easy to think wine drinkers = the "others", snobs, etc.

Funny, I came to the conclusion that, since I like very light beer, I was probably wasting my money paying slightly more for Stella Artois when I went out and just embraced Bud Lite and other cheap beers. I'm thinking of doing a blind taste test to see if I'm right. I'm not sure I could tell that much of a difference. To save face around beer snobs I still might order the Stella over the other, but it's totally stupid.

**Note I know neither of these are fancy beers. My husband sometimes buys these $10 a glass microbrews that IMO taste like ass. Sour beer = disgusting.

Stella Artois and Bud Light are both owned by Anheuser-Busch InBev.
Now Anheuser-Busch InBev and SABMiller are merging, which will create an industry giant accounting for about 30 percent of global beer sales.

All beers (regardless of price) are made of water, malted barley, yeast, and hops.
Beer is 90-95% water.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
Schuberth helmets. Loudest, most uncomfortable helmet I have ever owned and I have owned HJC helmets that were only 200

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
Most sparkling wine that is >$20. I do love Moet-Chandon and can taste the difference. However, I like the $9 per bottle pink Yellowglen sparkling as much as I like sparkling wines that are >$20 per bottle.

Melisande

• Bristles
Re: Expensive things you've tried that just aren't worth it (add to the list!)
« Reply #256 on: August 05, 2016, 07:41:30 AM »
$500+ for a private helicopter tour of a national park. Worst $500 ever spent. Noisy, scary & you can't really interact with nature when you're encased in a bubble way up in the air. My husband claims he really enjoyed it though, so I guess it wasn't a total waste.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
Re: Expensive things you've tried that just aren't worth it (add to the list!)
« Reply #257 on: August 05, 2016, 10:53:23 AM »
$500+ for a private helicopter tour of a national park. Worst $500 ever spent. Noisy, scary & you can't really interact with nature when you're encased in a bubble way up in the air. My husband claims he really enjoyed it though, so I guess it wasn't a total waste.

I've been in a helicopter, parasailing, and up super tall towers. Meh. I LOVE nature and gorgeous scenery. And yes, its pretty for a few minutes. But get bored just looking at it from up high. Just let me go hiking/canoeing/cycling. Or even lay on a blanket on a hill and soak in the view. I can't fathom spending the big bucks to go on stuff like those giant ferris wheels. Most people I know who have done it love it though and say its worth it. Not for me and thankfully my family feels the same way.