Author Topic: Expensive things you've tried that just aren't worth it (add to the list!)  (Read 46291 times)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This

*I would include foam soap dispensers just based on the price, rationale and marketing behind them, but can't say I've used one.

I have a foam dispenser that was given to me, and I've used it for years! I love it because it works best when you dilute the dish soap with water... hence stretching out your dish soap :)
Plus the foaming is nice.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache

*I would include foam soap dispensers just based on the price, rationale and marketing behind them, but can't say I've used one.

I have a foam dispenser that was given to me, and I've used it for years! I love it because it works best when you dilute the dish soap with water... hence stretching out your dish soap :)

Sorry, should have specified the motion-sensor dispensers.

I have a friend who is insistent that it's unhygienic to use a normal dispenser.

"You touch the lid of the soap bottle!"
"Yes. And then the very next thing you do is wash your hands."

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
I have a friend who is insistent that it's unhygienic to use a normal dispenser. [/i]."

Tell him how many bacteria per square inch there are on his smartphone screen. He'll scream in agony ;-)

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
Manicures and pedicures.  SO not worth it.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This

Sorry, should have specified the motion-sensor dispensers.

I have a friend who is insistent that it's unhygienic to use a normal dispenser.

Gotcha. That does sound like a totally not worth it expensive purchase!!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
Expensive things you've tried that just aren't worth it (add to the list!)
« Reply #155 on: July 12, 2016, 07:14:12 PM »
Any clothing or bags that cost more than $50 - too worried about ruining it somehow.

There are many expensive things that I haven't tried because I think they're not worth it, e.g. iphones, cars, kids. Do we have a side-thread on expensive things that are worth it? There must be some even if we're frugal folk.

There are! I'm bad at finding and linking, but some that come to mind are: "buy it for life", "what are things that make you feel rich", and... Some kind of thread about luxuries you indulge in and it's worth it and probably anti-mustachian to others.

Oh - and +1 to anything I can wear that costs more than $50!!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache

Curious to know if you paint your own nails or skip it all together?

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache

I can't for the life of me keep polish on my fingers from chipping, so I buff my finger nails. And paint my toe nails. I like it. *shrugs* 20 minutes every few weeks, and 20$ worth of polish that I've been using for the past year and a half.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache

I can't for the life of me keep polish on my fingers from chipping, so I buff my finger nails. And paint my toe nails. I like it. *shrugs* 20 minutes every few weeks, and 20$ worth of polish that I've been using for the past year and a half.

I can't for the life of me apply nail polish without it looking like it was applied with a carrot, so I stick to short nails and a clear, nail-strengthening polish on fingers and toes.

JoeBlow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mountains over beaches for me. But indeed, I don't get all the fuss about beaches.

I agree, I am a mountain person myself.  However, The Lost Coast in Northern California is a pretty amazing backpacking trip.  No freeways in that section of the coast and beautiful scenery.  Make sure you have a tide table and watch out for the rattlesnakes!

englyn

• Bristles

I'm boggled, how do people who use this reasoning turn off the tap...

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles

I don't use that reasoning, but I do reason that the handles can be dirty (e.g., someone had a poopy accident). I usually use a paper towel to dry my hands and then turn it off, or use the heel of my hand because at least that won't contact my eyes/mouth

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache

With a paper towel.  I also used to work with someone who used a paper towel to press the lever to flush the toilet.  They said that this was better than using their foot (which they knew someone else to do).

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache

I skip it.  It just seems silly to me (although it was fun in junior high school for a brief period), in addition to being impractical.  I do stuff with my hands, and toenail polish gets trashed really quickly by backpacking and running.  Just one of those useless activities I'd rather not bother with.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
Furniture. I bought designer couches for one room then saw knockoffs that we're practically identical for less than half the price. Then I wanted wishbone chairs and found knocks for $600 less PER CHAIR! 
You literally cannot tell the difference.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
Re: Expensive things that just aren't worth it (add to the list!)
« Reply #166 on: July 13, 2016, 11:48:35 AM »
Expensive guitars. It turns out that my white Les Paul Custom (~$4,000) wasn't really so much of an advance on the Korean-made $350 guitar-store-used-rack find.

Still. I only lost 500 bucks when I sold it. (Where was that 'biggest financial blunders' thread again? ... cough)

Shit. You beat me to it.

I must respectfully disagree...to a point.  A Google search yielded this; I suppose it applies to most things:

Did anyone notice that in this graph, as price levels off, quality goes to infinity?  That's hilarious, I'm trying to come up with a real world example, but infinite quality is kind of hard to find ;).  Now, plotted with the axis reversed, I can see it...

Have to say I disagree with the person talking about an espresso machine here.  I have a Gaggia Classic and MDF grinder and have easily made over 3000 lattes with them over the years.  Suppose we all get value from different things...

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: July 13, 2016, 12:06:51 PM »
Expensive guitars. It turns out that my white Les Paul Custom (~$4,000) wasn't really so much of an advance on the Korean-made $350 guitar-store-used-rack find.

Still. I only lost 500 bucks when I sold it. (Where was that 'biggest financial blunders' thread again? ... cough)

Shit. You beat me to it.

I must respectfully disagree...to a point.  A Google search yielded this; I suppose it applies to most things:

Did anyone notice that in this graph, as price levels off, quality goes to infinity?  That's hilarious, I'm trying to come up with a real world example, but infinite quality is kind of hard to find ;).  Now, plotted with the axis reversed, I can see it...

Have to say I disagree with the person talking about an espresso machine here.  I have a Gaggia Classic and MDF grinder and have easily made over 3000 lattes with them over the years.  Suppose we all get value from different things...

Our espresso machine is a Breville Cafe Roma. Cost 150$ CAD when we bought it 4.5 years ago, and has made 3+ espressos and lattes a day since then. Rough calculation is that the cost of the machine is averaging out to around 3 cents per coffee... Not terrible. And it's going strong, no repairs needed, very little maintenance (the occasional decalcifying with vinegar, that's it. Excellent latte supplier all around.

My parents have a coffee maker that they paid about 2800$ for (one of those schmancy ones where you pour in milk and beans and a latte pops out). They've had it for 2.5 years. It has broken down MINIMUM once a year (expensive repair bills - I recall them mentioning they'd spent a grand on repairs over the time they've had it, and they're frustrated with it) and they actually buy demineralized water to use in it so as to minimize the repairs ($$ water for your $$ coffee maker). They make 3 cups of coffee a day, on average. That's over 1.25$/cup of coffe FOR THE MACHINE, PLUS the expensive water, milk, coffee beans... honestly, at that point, I can see a Starbucks run every morning being comparatively affordable!

And the killer: the coffee my machine makes is BETTER.

In short: I have no regrets about my espresso machine, and would likely replace it with one of the same if it gave out (or a stovetop model. I like those fine too.  It's just that my husband melted the last one into the stove by forgetting to put water in it while half-asleep, and we thought a plug-in model would have less risk of setting the house on fire). But never, ever would I buy an uber-schancy all-automated model. They're expensive as hell, make Starbucks look affordable, and produce mediocre coffee. No thanks.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #168 on: July 13, 2016, 01:28:56 PM »

Shit. You beat me to it.

The problem with that graph is that is lacks scale.  This graph is moderately accurate if one considers that the Y axis scales from 0 USD to approximately 500 USD.

Redstone5

• Pencil Stache
Home ownership. Hate the stress and all the upkeep. Can't wait to go back to renting and let everything be the landlord's problem.

Salon hair cuts. I always seem to get talked into an expensive cut I hate.

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
Cable
On-contract cell phones
Caviar
Wine

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
Cable
On-contract cell phones
Caviar
Wine

Disagreement about the on-contract cell phones: I have a Samsung S4, which I quite love. I had the option of a contract, or a non-contract at 15$ less per month if I brought my own phone. Buying my own phone would have been 380$ at the cheapest place I could find (Amazon, at the time). The contract is actually cheaper, after 24 months. And here, provincial regulations state that if I want to break the contract, I just need to pay off what's left of the phone... so even if after a year I was like 'nope, I'm done', I wouldn't have lost money by having a contract. You have to make SURE that this is the case before signing a contract, though, because I will agree that most of them are rip-offs. :)

Also disagree on wine, but I like decently-priced wine, so I'll chalk that up to personal indulgence. :)

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
Cable
On-contract cell phones
Caviar
Wine

Disagreement about the on-contract cell phones: I have a Samsung S4, which I quite love. I had the option of a contract, or a non-contract at 15$ less per month if I brought my own phone. Buying my own phone would have been 380$ at the cheapest place I could find (Amazon, at the time). The contract is actually cheaper, after 24 months. And here, provincial regulations state that if I want to break the contract, I just need to pay off what's left of the phone... so even if after a year I was like 'nope, I'm done', I wouldn't have lost money by having a contract. You have to make SURE that this is the case before signing a contract, though, because I will agree that most of them are rip-offs. :)

Also disagree on wine, but I like decently-priced wine, so I'll chalk that up to personal indulgence. :)

Yeah, I tend to think most of the things in this forum post is subjective to each individual and circumstance. 

We have Ringplus here in the U.S., which gives me 4000 minutes, 4000 texts and 2.5 GB of data a month with tethering for free, I just had to bring my own cellphone (bought a used iPhone 6 on eBay about a year ago)... it sure beats any plan I have ever seen, contract or otherwise. 

Wine has a tendency to give me headaches (not the next morning, but immediately) so I really don't place much value on it :p.

M2 pilot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Many years ago a girlfriend gave me a gold & stainless Concorde watch.  Retail was around $6K.  Worst watch I've ever owned. Was selfwinding & lost about a minute/day. Was allegedly water resistant & had water condense under the crystal after brief rinse off when leaving a beach.

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #174 on: July 17, 2016, 02:25:05 PM »

Shit. You beat me to it.

Yep, that graph is a bit absurd.

However, it wouldn't be useful for products in modern, "high-marketing" economies even if the axes were reversed -- presuming that the graph is intended to represent the efficient frontier.

In high-marketing economies, companies often sell things as loss leaders (price < cost of production) or see products dumped after a product/business failure (again, price < cost of production). In competitive areas, companies are always coming and going, so prices have more to do with who is trying to capture market share than with the cost of production.

rosarugosa

• Bristles
Beluga caviar.  I was so excited about trying it, thought it sounded so glamorous, and it just tasted like fishy saltiness.  I could have bought a lot of oysters for the same money!

Bo-rrific G

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
(1) Burberry trench coat (bought out of sheer curiosity after "wanting" one for years).  The quality just didn't meet my expectations.  The fabric didn't seem as sturdy as I had imagined it.  I returned it the same day it arrived and got 100% of my money back.

(2) Stuart Weitzman pumps.  I bought these after months of excruciating foot pain.  I couldn't find anything comfortable so I tried something of "high quality."  The shoes were worse than anything I owned.  Unfortunately, I kept these and I wear them every few weeks to remind myself not to buy stupid things again.  It turned out that I had plantar fasciitis.  A few foot exercises per day and new pair of running shoes fixed my feet.  I can wear heels now when they are business expected.

(3) Cashmere sweater.  I bought two cashmere sweaters at a second hand store.  They both look like crap after only 1 season of wear.  I'm sticking to wool and cotton for my clothing.  Cashmere needs too much attention.

I'm sure there are other things, but I can't think of them for now.

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
Posting this because I just saw it and it seems relevant:

http://nypost.com/2016/07/10/the-truth-behind-how-were-scammed-into-eating-phony-food/

In other words, just give up on trying to source your food, buying authentic etc, and just get the cheapest meats/seafood possible. Or go vegetarian. Why pay more to be duped?

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
Posting this because I just saw it and it seems relevant:

http://nypost.com/2016/07/10/the-truth-behind-how-were-scammed-into-eating-phony-food/

In other words, just give up on trying to source your food, buying authentic etc, and just get the cheapest meats/seafood possible. Or go vegetarian. Why pay more to be duped?

Or buy in bulk directly from the farmer, which is cheaper (depending on where you are, obv) AND sustainable and well-raised. And if you're cooking tomato sauce in bulk, don't go to the farmer's market and pay 80 cents/lb for tomatoes. Drive out to the farm and spend an hour picking, and they're 10 cents/lb. Makes a difference when you're making a year's worth.

pudding

• Bristles
Ex wifes ;)

pudding

• Bristles
Some of the holidays / trips overseas that I've been on. If I'm real at times I've wondered if some of them were worth it.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
Ex wifes ;)
They say divorce costs so much because it's worth it.

Lunasol

• Bristles
False eyelashes, the type that they put one by one and lasts about a month, it costs around $26 and you have to pay for maintenance later on.

My friend urged me to get those for my birthday, as you wake up with curly and full eyelashes and don't need to use mascara anymore, errrrrr, I kindly replied I wasn't interested in spending money on that, and that I'm being somewhat frugal these days...

margarita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hair extensions!  Okay, this was my daughter not me.  Seriously STOP cutting your hair and then getting hair extensions.  Finally she did stop after a couple of years of this nonsense.  I can't even remember how much they were but it was insane. 

Mascara.  Ever single expensive mascara I tried smeared. Never again.

Lipstick.  Never wasting money again on expensive lipstick.  Burts Bees lip balm (in Pink Blossom colour) is the bomb!  I love it!  Never will waste another dollar buying anything else.

Basically every single thing sold in Sephora.  I bought (after debating for years) a "YSL tout éclat" (at Sephora!).  It is a concealer for around the eyes.  Every makeup artist and article I read swore this was the "best". 
Yeah, no so much.  Didn't seem to be any better than the cheap stuff I bought at Walmart. 
That is $50 I will never seen again. 

Sephora makes me crazy.  I see it crowded full of young women buying this overpriced stuff because, you know, Covergirl and Maybelline and that stuff we bought when we were younger (and still do) is "crap" in their eyes. 

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 11:53:22 AM by margarita »

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
Stainless steel appliances. God, I hate our fridge. Maybe there's a way to not have it look gross immediately after wiping it but I don't know what it is. I've just given up. For the new house I strongly prefer black or white appliances.

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
Peter Luger's - Most overrated steak I ever ate.

Honestly I think every steakhouse is overrated. It's easy to BBQ your own meat for a fraction of the price.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
Stainless steel appliances. God, I hate our fridge. Maybe there's a way to not have it look gross immediately after wiping it but I don't know what it is. I've just given up. For the new house I strongly prefer black or white appliances.

Word. We have stainless because they were on sale and cheaper than the white ones... But oh man, toddler handprints everywhere. And I'm not washing the front of the fridge every day, I HAVE a life, thanks.

JustTrying

• Stubble
My dog??? Oh, that's sad. I love her so much, and I'd never get rid of her. But I recognize that she is a waste of money!

Any piece of white clothing. I spill and stain more than the average person.

I also am a stainless steel appliance hater, but it's because I don't like the look. I've just never understood the appeal! We have white appliances.

mjones1234

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
STARBUCKS

Steak dinners at places known to have the best steaks

Most theme parks, haunted houses and water parks

Woodford Reserve

Delta Airlines (Southwest is fine by me)

Premium gasoline in a car that only calls for 87 octane

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache

Delta Airlines (Southwest is fine by me)

Virgin Airlines. I normally fly Southwest, but it was a trip for work so I figured I'd try out Virgin, since I'd heard great things about it. It was a flight on a plane. I guess the seatback TV and outlets were nice-ish. Almost everything on the in-flight food menu was sold out, and the games didn't work all that well. It wasn't a bad flight, but definitely didn't live up to the hype. I'll continue flying Southwest, both on my own dime and the company's (I get the points even when my company pays).

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
My dog??? Oh, that's sad. I love her so much, and I'd never get rid of her. But I recognize that she is a waste of money!

I also am a stainless steel appliance hater, but it's because I don't like the look. I've just never understood the appeal! We have white appliances.

I feel you on the pet, but I also think the "pets are a luxury/waste of money" sentiment that gets thrown around here sometimes is not completely accurate. Certainly, I love my dog and value her mostly for completely "frivolous" reasons such as she brings happiness to my life (of course that's something I would argue is a worthwhile justification for any expense). But I think there is also a strong argument to be made that dogs are the best home defense option around, better than alarm systems, shotguns, etc. While the latter are ultimately cheaper than the former, especially if large medical expenses come into play, the dramatically reduced likelihood of a burglary or home invasion because of my dog does have material value. Dogs may not be for everyone, but I personally believe they are a justifiable expense, especially if you get a breed that works well as a watchdog.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache

Yeah, me too. The only thing that helps even a little is a thin coat of mineral oil.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
+1 on spa services, specifically, the combination face treatment + hot shave. Something like $90 + tip, and my face looked and felt like I had been treated with a nutmeg grater.

Regarding beer, the 750 ml and 22.4 ounce bottles are almost always more expensive per ounce than the same stuff in smaller bottles, if available.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
I bought a fancy-pants designer Scandinavian chair for about $3k and I hate it.  I'm finally selling it. It's like new, because I rarely sat in it.  I'm asking $600, but no takers so far.  Eventually I'll give it away.  And when I do, I won't ever think about it again.

JustTrying

• Stubble

I feel you on the pet, but I also think the "pets are a luxury/waste of money" sentiment that gets thrown around here sometimes is not completely accurate. Certainly, I love my dog and value her mostly for completely "frivolous" reasons such as she brings happiness to my life (of course that's something I would argue is a worthwhile justification for any expense). But I think there is also a strong argument to be made that dogs are the best home defense option around, better than alarm systems, shotguns, etc. While the latter are ultimately cheaper than the former, especially if large medical expenses come into play, the dramatically reduced likelihood of a burglary or home invasion because of my dog does have material value. Dogs may not be for everyone, but I personally believe they are a justifiable expense, especially if you get a breed that works well as a watchdog.

My dog thanks you for pointing out her value! :) We've talked about not getting another dog when she passes away because of the expense, but most likely we will get one because dogs really do bring a lot of joy! (And home security, apparently).

gggggg

• Bristles
New car is #1 by far, never again will I take that depreciation hit.

HOA's- I hate them. You're paying someone to tell you what to do. No thanks.

Expensive colleges- Not worth it usually.

Expensive clothes- I'm hard on clothes and go through them quick, not worth it to me to buy expensive ones just to ruin them.

Expensive sports/hobbies- I'm guilty of this, still have one or two, generally not worth it.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
]Lipstick.  Never wasting money again on expensive lipstick.  Burts Bees lip balm (in Pink Blossom colour) is the bomb!  I love it!  Never will waste another dollar buying anything else.

Yep, tinted lip balm all the way. One in pink, one in peach shimmer is all I need.

For me, lipstick is something my mum wears. I would feel like I was playing dress-up if I wore it.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
]Lipstick.  Never wasting money again on expensive lipstick.  Burts Bees lip balm (in Pink Blossom colour) is the bomb!  I love it!  Never will waste another dollar buying anything else.

Yep, tinted lip balm all the way. One in pink, one in peach shimmer is all I need.

For me, lipstick is something my mum wears. I would feel like I was playing dress-up if I wore it.

Whereas I have one super-bright-red that I wear all the time - somehow makes me look made-up when it's the only thing I'm wearing, and I've had tons of ladies compliment it and ask which one it was. 1 swipe of lipstick and make-up done? Sign me up!

Waste of money: ANY mascara. I rub my eyes when people say something stupid. If I wear it to work, I look like a raccoon by 10am.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache

I was kind of excited when I moved into a rental with a stainless steel fridge because it looked so cool and modern... right up until I tried to stick my fridge magnets on it. How the hell did someone invent a fridge that is both made of steel and non-magnetic? And more importantly, why??

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
Lipstick.  Never wasting money again on expensive lipstick.  Burts Bees lip balm (in Pink Blossom colour) is the bomb!  I love it!  Never will waste another dollar buying anything else.

Burts Bees lip balm.  Never again.  Someone gave me a pack of various Burts Bees products as a gift.  I tried that lip balm three separate months.  Each time, I got deep acne cysts next to my lips.  I gave the rest of the products away.  Fifty-cent ChapStick for me!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!