Author Topic: Expensive things you've tried that just aren't worth it (add to the list!)  (Read 46292 times)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
Sometimes you dream of an expensive thing. And then you try it, buy it, experience it- and it's totally not worth it! Share your wisdom here so we can avoid making the same mistakes over and over again :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 06:39:33 AM by lifejoy »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
Expensive things that just aren't worth it (add to the list!)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 08:27:14 PM »
Some of mine:

Anything wearable over $50. I've tried fancy shoes (originally priced $500), fancy sunglasses ($200, returned them), $200 dresses (I wear my more inexpensive dresses more because I'm less worried about damaging them), $300 pearl necklace (also worried about damaging it so it sits on my drawer.)

$200 dinners do not taste better to me than $20 meals out.

Manicures and pedicures. I do almost as good a job as myself and am not left disappointed if I see any mistakes.

I'm sure I have more examples, but I'd love to hear yours!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
Re: Expensive things that just aren't worth it (add to the list!)
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 08:29:10 PM »
$120 haircuts. Look just as good as $40 haircuts.

$120 massages. Only worth it when benefits are paying for it ;)

Expensive lipstick. The NYC brand is $2 and GREAT. Very moisturizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alf91

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 08:33:02 PM »
Agree with the clothes. I have an expensive jacket that I bought on impulse (and some encouragement from a well-meaning partner), and I rarely wear it because I'm afraid to damage it.

Specialty drinks/coffees/etc.

Cellphones.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Expensive things that just aren't worth it (add to the list!)
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 08:38:40 PM »
For me, its manis and pedis. I always ruin them fairly quickly. I do an acceptable job myself. Also pricey meals. Some places are worth it, but by and large, we are simple folks. Our family's favourite local restaurant is a cheap Chinese buffet with an awesome hibachi grill. Yes, they do overcook the beef - but it is $10 each and puts a smile on all our faces!

I also hate buying new clothes. Those always seem to be the first to get ruined while our thrift store finds last forever.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 08:50:12 PM »
I don't understand the fascination over super-expensive shoes, whether for women or men. But what gets me most is the people who pay full retail for said items.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 08:58:35 PM »
For me, its manis and pedis. I always ruin them fairly quickly. I do an acceptable job myself. Also pricey meals. Some places are worth it, but by and large, we are simple folks. Our family's favourite local restaurant is a cheap Chinese buffet with an awesome hibachi grill. Yes, they do overcook the beef - but it is $10 each and puts a smile on all our faces!

I also hate buying new clothes. Those always seem to be the first to get ruined while our thrift store finds last forever.

+1 for all of those!!

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 09:11:54 PM »
Anything I've paid someone to do that I could have done or learned to do myself. Even changing a toilet isn't rocket science, and I care more about my house, getting it done right, and not damaging the walls/paint/getting water all over than any plumber possibly could.

JoeBlow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 09:15:47 PM »

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 09:18:13 PM »
Expensive guitars. It turns out that my white Les Paul Custom (~$4,000) wasn't really so much of an advance on the Korean-made $350 guitar-store-used-rack find.

Still. I only lost 500 bucks when I sold it. (Where was that 'biggest financial blunders' thread again? ... cough)

Lunasol

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 09:22:16 PM »
Iphone, Ipad, Iwatch

I don't get the novelty, I've never owned an iphone and don't intend to, My HTC works just fine and I love because it's taiwanese and I love Taiwan haha

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 10:13:49 PM »
For me it's wine.  I've tasted expensive wine and fortunately for me my palate is not refined enough to appreciate the more expensive wines.  I'm fine with $20-$30 wine and a $100+ wine to me is not twice or three time better.

JoeBlow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 11:26:11 PM »
For me it's wine.  I've tasted expensive wine and fortunately for me my palate is not refined enough to appreciate the more expensive wines.  I'm fine with $20-$30 wine and a $100+ wine to me is not twice or three time better.

Hell, I am fine with 3 buck chuck.  Sometimes a splurge on an $8 bottle.  Whiskey is my weak spot.  I really like Pendleton which runs about $25.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 11:42:01 PM »
Anything wearable over $50. I've tried fancy shoes (originally priced $500), fancy sunglasses ($200, returned them), $200 dresses (I wear my more inexpensive dresses more because I'm less worried about damaging them), $300 pearl necklace (also worried about damaging it so it sits on my drawer.)

I agree mostly, but not completely.

I just bought myself $65 shoes. But the last time I bought shoes was nearly 5 years ago and I wore them almost every day during that time, including hiking a decent bit, and they completely fell apart from being used so much. These shoes I just bought myself I intend to wear for several years minimum. :) I've never even tried on shoes that cost over $100. That feels too ridiculous.

Anyway, in general I think this thread is going to be very subjective. There's things I buy that people here think are ridiculous (video games is the main thing I can think of hobby-wise of mine that gets bashed, even though I'm very frugal about it) but there's other things that others buy that I think is ridiculous (alcohol, most beauty products, etc).

madmax

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 12:25:02 AM »
Wearables have been mentioned before but watches in particular. An iWatch is pretty ridiculous but I fail to understand how a $25K Uboat is better than a $30 Casio

Kirby vacuum cleaners, please don't get me started

Expensive HDMI cables

Business class air tickets

German cars

Timeshares

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 12:55:20 AM »
Expensive guitars. It turns out that my white Les Paul Custom (~$4,000) wasn't really so much of an advance on the Korean-made $350 guitar-store-used-rack find.

Still. I only lost 500 bucks when I sold it. (Where was that 'biggest financial blunders' thread again? ... cough)

Shit. You beat me to it.

travelbug

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 12:59:50 AM »
Expensive imported cars, I drool but would not part with the $ to own one.
Coffees out. Make my own and take it in my stainless steel coffee mug, it stays warm for ages.

Mattzlaff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 04:17:01 AM »
For the modern family where I work I honestly do not get the allure of trailers, 5th wheels and RVs.

Some guys have spent 12-45k on trailers and 5th wheels they use 4 times a year! One guy bought his 5 years ago for 20k and sold it after only using it ~15 times for 12k.

Don't forget to mention the ~20-50k new truck you "need" to tow some of these monsters.

Mrs. S

• Stubble
    • Royally Frugal
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 04:37:05 AM »
A sedan or SUV for a single person to drive to work! Hacthback works just as fine or like us you can easily drive a motorbike which is 10% the cost of the cheapest of sedans and lets us drive over 50Km for every liter of petrol we put in it.
Another one is wedding ring we managed to buy cheap practical rings which none of us wears anymore. Thankfully wedding bands in addition to engagement rings are not such a big thing here.
For me any money spent on jewelry is a big lump of money sitting in your safe and doing nothing. My mom disagrees though!!

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 04:44:17 AM »
Three come to mind right away, general categories though:  Weddings, funerals, and new babies.

1. The label of those three themselves lead to inflated prices.  Large Knife? $1-8.  Wedding Cake Knife?  $15 and up.  OMG delicious Costco sheet cake?! - <$25 ea.  "Wedding Cake" holy shit start on $100 for a postage-stamp and on up into astronomical prices.  Also most don't taste better than Costco sheet cake.

2. Society/family/personal expectations of what is 'necessary' for each of those three leads to other unfrugal choices.  Baby crib set?  $100+, but then you realize that most of the items included shouldn't be in a crib because of the smothering risk to babies. wtf? Jogging strollers for those who don't jog, carseats that are so expensive and so gadgeted out they must be able to protect your child from a collision with a nuclear warhead, while also providing hours of in-drive entertainment.  Double strollers that don't fit in aisles or doorways so where can you take it anyways? Kids shoes for kids who crawl, which are grown out of super quickly... can we get some simple moccasin style ones, they don't need all that stiff rubber anyways?

Diamonds (jewelry).  Resale value is crap.  Market is controlled to keep prices up.  Pointless decoration at outrageous prices.  Fantastic marketing to make me feel like a cheapass for not ensuring every kiss begins with K.

This is starting to turn into a rant so I'll stop here.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 05:17:52 AM »
Kids, and thats right I don't have any.

meg_shannon

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 05:30:44 AM »
1) New kids clothes. They grow so fast. I get 90% of my daughter's clothes from the thrift store or consignment sales and the rest are gifts. Picked up Keens for her yesterday for 4$. I wish I would find shoes more easily for myself there!

2) Any salon stuff - nails, hair, skincare, hair removal. Nope.

3) New retail clothing. I get a lot from the thrift store, and I also make some of my own clothes. Making them isn't cheaper, but they fit better and I can more easily repair them. I still buy pants new - women's 35" inseam jeans are impossible to find at the thrift store.

4) New books. I use the library or buy used books for our daughter's favorites.

5) Food at attractions. We're headed to the zoo later and will be bringing a packed lunch and snacks. I leave an extra cooler in the car so I can have iced coffee for the drive home and cold snacks after being out in the heat.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 05:39:23 AM »

3 buck chuck.  if i want to splurge i'll get a 5 dollar bottle from trader joes.  i would consider 20-30 dollar wine expensive wine.  100+ is ridiculous.  lots of double blind studies have been done putting boxed wine in a nice bottle and nice 30+ wine in a crappy wine bottle.  typically even people who are considered experts choose the crappy wine in the nice bottle as what they would bring to a dinner party. and they are too good to touch the 30+ dollar wine in a crappy bottle.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 05:40:45 AM »
I'll agree with the expensive dinners.  we recently went to hawaii and decided to splurge on a nice dinner - offset the cost with a credit card churn so it really was free.  but the 10 dollar poke we were buying at the grocery store trumped the 120 dollar dinner.

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 05:44:23 AM »
Ooh ooh love this list. I'm copying ideas down in to my budgeting notebook to remind myself.

Sunglasses (just moulded plastic, let's be honest)
Nail varnish (can cost £2, can cost £18, all the same stuff in the bottle).
Badly made, poor quality fashion handbags. IMHO if it's not leather it's just gonna look crap in about 2 months time.
Expensive watches
Expensive jewellery
Diamonds
Wedding dresses, wedding cakes, wedding invitations, wedding everything.
Designer labels
Home furnishings (It blows my mind that people spend £2000 on a sofa).
(Controversial choice) - gig tickets. £40 - £60 to see someone play music. No music can be that good. (But then again I hate most music so I'm probably in the minority there.)

meg_shannon

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 05:46:42 AM »
(Controversial choice) - gig tickets. £40 - £60 to see someone play music. No music can be that good. (But then again I hate most music so I'm probably in the minority there.)

I agree with you! I don't like crowds either, or going out to eat that much.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 06:23:58 AM »
interesting...never really thought about it because i guess it is just kind of how i am naturally...

alcohol
dining out
cars
clothes
some shoes (maybe a nice pair of boots)
some furniture

i tend to be a buy-it-for-life type person when it comes to major things

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2016, 06:39:00 AM »
Just a note, I'm mostly interested in expensive things that you have personally tried, and found to be not worth it.

If this were a place to list expensive things that just aren't worth it that you can THINK of, well, it'd go on forever ;)

Torran

• Bristles
Ah... well I definitely have not tried diamonds or wedding things :)

Right, better list:

The only expensive thing I can think of that I've tried is a manicure - totally not worth it. It chipped after 1 day.

I guess gig tickets are not really a luxury item, but they are so expensive - I've gone to so many gigs over the years and it is SO not worth it. (@meg_shannon glad you agree! I'm not the only one!). Queing... Standing up for hours in a cold dark pub/venue... expensive drinks ... being trapped in a crowd, or right at the back so you can hardly see anything... not for me.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
Restaurants, anything at a spa or salon, flying first-class (I was upgraded for free a several years back, so I remember what it is - it's nice, but I hate flying regardless of where I am in the plane), hotels in general.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2016, 07:34:39 AM »
I don't understand the fascination over super-expensive shoes, whether for women or men. But what gets me most is the people who pay full retail for said items.

It's that dream that the expensive, well designed pair of high heels will somehow feel like bedroom slippers. Perhaps I only find them torturous because I've never gotten high enough of a quality.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
I inherited my grandmother's sterling silver cutlery for 14. I never used it because it was such a pain to clean. I passed it on to my niece, her only great-granddaughter, and live happily with stainless.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 07:41:32 AM »

It's that dream that the expensive, well designed pair of high heels will somehow feel like bedroom slippers. Perhaps I only find them torturous because I've never gotten high enough of a quality.

For once I'm actually going to defend a more expensive option. I used to only buy from Payless and the like. Shoes would come apart after a season or two. Now I buy from DSW (so still, not full retail price), but I did buy a 120$ pair of Cole Haan leather high-heels (retail was something like 400$). I've had them for years and they still look new. I have 4 pairs of high-heels, all between 100-200$ each, that I've had for years, and that I wear constantly for work. Long-term, they are less expensive than replacing 30$ shoes yearly.

I don't consider expensive shoes an investment at all, but I do consider well-made shoes a better long-term purchase - which is mustachian to me.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
brand new Honda (did that 3 times, never again)... one COULD just say "brand new car"
newly built house - they aren't built all that well at this point in time in the U.S.
Expensive washer and dryer set - I now buy the nicer washer and cheapest dryer possible
Keurig - Coffee isn't as good and they don't last

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2016, 08:04:37 AM »

Interesting.

The only wearable pair of high heels I have are old (well, 1980s) Carvela ones. They are extremely well made, very delicate, but do not hurt my feet at all.
(I know Carvela are still around, but I've tried out the shoes they make nowadays and they are sadly no where near the quality they used to be).
I got mine for £4 in Oxfam, I guess they were probably semi-expensive when new.
I really love having one pair of black heels I can wear on a night out, that I know won't make me wobbly, or worse, the dreaded duck-walk of the woman in high heels at the end of the night.

I like feeling a bit dressed up and fancy sometimes. But high heels are still high heels. They're really quite an odd thing when you really think about it. And no matter how well made, I don't think there's any getting away from the fact that they're not comfortable.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
The thing about shoes (and clothing generally) is that more money can mean better quality (up to a point), but it doesn't always. I can pay $100 for a pair of leather boat shoes that will last forever, or I can pay the same amount for a pair of tennis shoes with the "right" logo that were made on the same Chinese assembly line as the $20 sneakers from Payless.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
Expensive restaurants!! Even travelling to exotic places I'd much rather have meals in a traditional pub/bodega/canteen/cantina/diner than a swanky place with cloth tableclothes, a maitre 'd, hors d'oeuvres, where you get a few leaves of lettuce and a chocolate drizzle on a coin-sized piece of meat with some person who's job it is to stand in the washroom all day and hand you a towel.  The rich people environments make me uncomfortable and the food leaves me hungry.

Also, hot air balloon rides.  I mean, it's a good experience to try once, but it's certainly not "romantic" with that giant welding torch blasting flames a few inches from your head at a decibel level of a jet engine.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 08:21:40 AM by Kaspian »

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
Powered garden tools.  Aside from a push mower I have regretted every purchase, the hand tools being faster and requiring less set up/tear down time.  The push mower only wins because the mulching ability keeps me from having to rake.

Higher speed internet.  They are going to throttle your speed no matter what during peak times, and open it wide open when they don't need to throttle, just pay for the cheapest service where you actually get a signal.

Expensive alcohol.  If you can really tell the difference go for it, but pour me another round of the cheap stuff.

Bottled water.  Don't be an asshole, unless there's a known issue with the tap water in your area, bottled water is an emergency ration.  It also tastes worse?  How have you not noticed this?  Stagnant water is not delicious.

Personal lubricant.  The cheapest stuff you can find that doesn't burn you or your partner chemically (in a way that displeases you) is the way to go.

Bedding, the second best set of sheets made by man is sold at target, they last forever, i forget the exact details but they are awesome, and cost like 1/100th of what the best set of sheets made by man cost.

Computers.  I have bought top of the line machines, built top of the line machines, and built second to top of the line, and by far the right way to go is to find the highest quality parts, and then buy the ones priced half as much.  You get 95% of the performance, which, lets be honest, is more than enough to read MMM.

:)

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
Higher speed internet.  They are going to throttle your speed no matter what during peak times, and open it wide open when they don't need to throttle, just pay for the cheapest service where you actually get a signal.

Sadly, so true.

Personal lubricant.  The cheapest stuff you can find that doesn't burn you or your partner chemically (in a way that displeases you) is the way to go.

I "discovered" (via the web) coconut oil a couple of years ago. Nice. And cheap.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
+1 for coconut oil. Changed my life.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache

I "discovered" (via the web) coconut oil a couple of years ago. Nice. And cheap.

Except that that'll destroy condoms, so only use when you don't need those.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache

Ooh...I'm sure someone will appreciate that information!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache

Ooh...I'm sure someone will appreciate that information!

PSA:

Silicone lube OR water-based lube if you need to use condoms.

DO NOT use silicone lube on silicone toys unless you want to wreck them.

DO NOT use silicone lube in the tub or shower - it makes everything slippery and you'll fall over in a thoroughly embarassing way. Hypothetically.

2Cent

• Pencil Stache
Expensive hotels in the center of a city. Most places worth visiting have excellent transportation to the tourist spots.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Midrange-expensive hotels. As long as it's clean, I don't care that it costs $300/night. I'll take the Days Inn with the free breakfast.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
I like the $2-and-change nail polish from Target much better than the $10-$14 bottles at Sephora.

Most of my expensive-things failures have to do with skin care. I have never had a pricey skin care product live up to its claims. Sometimes it makes me look even worse. I actually just did it again - bought some First Aid Beauty anti-redness serum, as I'm developing redness around my nose and chin. At least I only got the sample size for $6.50 and not the big bottle for $36 (!). I put it on and my face immediately turned even MORE red. That faded, but I can't say I've noticed much improvement. Maybe you've got to use it for months on end to see results.... but I don't think I want to keep throwing money at a product that probably won't help.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
*sadly puts down coconut oil.

I bought a fancy manual food grater (with a crank). I guess I had fantasies of needing to grate pounds of food after the apocalypse?  Then I bought a cheap food processor which I love.

little_brown_dog

• Pencil Stache
Similar to what most others said: expensive cars, designer clothes/bags, etc.

Honestly, I am also starting to really get sick of buying organic foods. The selection is usually much more limited, and the prices are often double that of conventional. I can't taste or see any difference, and the research on the stuff is inconclusive/inconsistent at best. Most of the organic produce available is shipped in from massive farms in Mexico or Cali, so it's not like it is even fresher than the conventional produce or grown in an inherently more eco-friendly way. Really the only thing that keeps me buying some organic items is vague hippie paranoia, and a bad case of the "what ifs".
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:22:08 AM by little_brown_dog »

HappyHoya

• Stubble
My biggest regrets on expenses aren't tangible things, but services. I am almost always disappointed when I pay someone to do something I could have done myself even if I couldn't have done as good a job. This includes nail salon and beauty treatments, haircuts, and almost any convenience services like grocery delivery or house/yard work. It's one area where I wish I could lighten up a bit, because there are many times where the money it cost is well worth the time savings and I also believe people providing these services should make a decent wage so I want to pay fairly. I also have some physical limitations that force me to get some help, which I'm a little sensitive about. I don't buy a lot of things so I would like to prioritize spending towards freeing up some of my time. Unfortunately, I've learned I am a bad customer and my expectations of other people are almost always too high. Unless I am really desperate and it's something I absolutely cannot do myself, I usually think (know?) I could have done a better job, or at least put more care into it.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
One thing that did not live up to my expectations (based on many unsolicited reports by various people) is the superiority of train travel over bus travel from city-to-city (like Ottawa-Montreal or Ottawa-Toronto). So many people seem to rave about the train over the bus or over driving yourself but I haven't found the train to be the great upgrade that other people seem to think it is. If the price were the same, sure, I'd probably take the train, but it wouldn't require much of a price difference before I'd opt for the bus.