Author Topic: Expensive eyewear / contact lenses  (Read 16724 times)

startingout

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Expensive eyewear / contact lenses
« on: January 21, 2015, 09:21:23 PM »
I'm fairly new to Mustachianism. However, I'm embarrassed to admit how much money I spend on my contact lenses even to non-frugal people. I get these special daily disposable contact lenses that cost $95 for 90 lenses. So they're basically costing me more than $2 a day, 5-6 days a week. I've tried many different types of contacts before, and these are the only ones that don't dry out my eyes. The obvious solution would be to wear glasses instead. However, I hate my current pair of glasses, which I got not too long ago. I don't want to splurge for another pair until my prescription changes. I also don't like wearing my glasses to work. I feel more put together when I'm not pushing my glasses up my nose every 2 minutes. Is $95 too much for about 1.5-2 months worth of contacts? On the bright side, because I throw out my contacts after one wear, I don't need to buy contact lens solution.

gergg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Expensive eyewear / contact lenses
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 09:37:53 PM »
I do the same thing...cost of doing business in my mind, although I am considering lasik.  Anyway, in case your weren't aware you can use HSA/FSA money and buy them with before tax money.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 10:23:43 PM »
Why are you pushing your glasses up your nose every 2 minutes? It sounds like your glasses are not correctly adjusted - go back to where you got them and make them adjust them properly!

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 11:12:25 PM »
Have you talked to your eye dr about other contact choices? Usually the daily lenses are "training wheels" for the other kinds.

DS has soft contacts that he removes nightly but disposes them after 2 weeks wear. They're thicker so they last longer, but if one tears or he loses it, it's not a big deal. They're much cheaper than the daily lenses.

I've worn gas-permeables for decades. They're between the old hard lenses & the softs, & have a lot of moisture in them, so they don't need a break-in period like the hards did & stay very comfortable. I need the G-P version because mine are bi-focal (wonderful) & mask astigmatism in one eye. The beauty of these lenses is one purchase cost, period.

Of course, all contact lenses require ongoing wetting & cleaning solutions. I have progressive bifocal eyeglasses for night & backup, but my peripheral vision isn't as good as with contacts & I never feel as attractive or confident wearing them. DS rarely wears his.

The final solution is LASIK surgery. You always have perfect vision at every hour of the day or night, no ongoing costs, nothing to lose, insert, remove, or have the pain of dust competing with the contact. DH had this done 10 years ago & loves it every day. Somehow he has even avoided presbyopia that most need reading glasses for in their 40s. I tried to get LASIK, but my corneas turned out to be too steep. You want an excellent eye surgeon for this -- no bargain hustles.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 11:26:12 PM »
I've tried many different types of contacts before, and these are the only ones that don't dry out my eyes. The obvious solution would be to wear glasses instead.

I hear your pain, starting out! I also pay big $$ for daily disposables for the exact same reason. I have tried many, many different monthlies and weeklies and NOTHING works. So its either dailies or glasses. Those who CAN wear contacts comfortably know how great it feels to not have to wear glasses everyday, and I think we desire the same thing. The only way I can wear contacts is by wearing dailies.

I will not be choosing any laser eye surgery procedures at all. I know lots of people who love it, but I also personally know several people who had a good 4 or 5 year run post surgery and now have blurry vision again. Not worth the money or the risk for me.

I do the same thing...cost of doing business in my mind

+1

lucky-girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 03:50:33 AM »
I have always bought ridiculously expensive glasses (never contacts) and the advantage of a really good pair is that the hardware is really good- no pushing them up your nose. The ones I have now I have had and worn every day for 8 years, and they've never gotten crooked, they've never needed to be adjusted, and they've never slipped down my nose. They are miracle glasses. So even though they cost $500, I've never regretted the purchase. They also look great! I still get comments on them.

For what it is worth, I've tried contacts a few times, and I just could never get into wearing them consistently. My eyes always felt dry and it would make me really tired. So maybe contacts just aren't for you?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 04:22:00 AM »
I have always bought ridiculously expensive glasses (never contacts) and the advantage of a really good pair is that the hardware is really good- no pushing them up your nose. The ones I have now I have had and worn every day for 8 years, and they've never gotten crooked, they've never needed to be adjusted, and they've never slipped down my nose. They are miracle glasses. So even though they cost $500, I've never regretted the purchase. They also look great! I still get comments on them.

For what it is worth, I've tried contacts a few times, and I just could never get into wearing them consistently. My eyes always felt dry and it would make me really tired. So maybe contacts just aren't for you?
I've been wearing glasses since I was in grade 3. I do have expensive glasses, because they need to be specially ground, but I don't have problems with them falling down, and if I did, I would go back and get them adjusted properly. I worry about contacts and lasik because both are interfering with the eye itself, and since my vision is so poor, I am much more likely to get eye problems later on anyway - such as a detached retina - especially as there are hereditary eye conditions in my family.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 04:59:17 AM »
I didn't get my glasses til yr 4. I also have a complex script with high myope and astigmatism. Now I'm presbyopic as well.  I think the best value for money will depend on your individual needs, but in my situation, gas permeable contact lens have been the most economical. Due to the script I need, its always challenged the limits of what is possible with soft lens.

Now I need reading glasses as well as contacts, I'm thinking about ditching the contacts and getting multifocals, but my gas permeables have way outlasted my last lot of spectacles due to the multi coat crazing/coming off. ( oh yeah and I sat on the frames once by mistake, another $$$)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 05:42:22 AM »
I always get the lenses without a coating because it used to craze. I haven't had a problem since (except the one time I forgot to specify it). They don't like you asking to do without it.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 05:47:28 AM »
Whether that expense is too much is up to you. If you have debt and are following the ways of the MMM, then it would likely make sense to use your glasses until you are out of debt. If you are not in debt, and you know that's what it costs to have contacts (because no other kind will do), you assess based on your own values and priorities whether it's worth it. Would you rather wear contact lenses or be FI a bit sooner because of a switch to glasses or a lasik surgery? You get to decide. For me, the contact lenses win out over most anything. I am able to wear monthlies that I don't have to remove at night, so my contact lenses offer me normal vision day in, day out. For me, that's as close as any product or purchase can get to priceless. It improves my quality of life to such an extent that it would be one of the last expenses I would cut.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 05:53:33 AM »
I always get the lenses without a coating because it used to craze. I haven't had a problem since (except the one time I forgot to specify it). They don't like you asking to do without it.
Yes, I get talked into it every time.  it is the first time its crazed so badly though.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 06:16:00 AM »
Yes, I get talked into it every time.  it is the first time its crazed so badly though.
I think it has to do with how much you sweat and the composition of your sweat - I think I was told that mine must be quite acidic (but I could be creating a tall tale).

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 06:17:41 AM »
As one who wears contacts every day (and often has "bad" contact days), I feel your pain.  Unfortunately, I don't think prices are going down any time soon.  A big problem is the recent decision by contact manufacturers to stop allowing retailers to offer discounted pricing.  See article below.  I used to be able to get really good deals using 1800contacts or buying at Coscto.  Guess those days are gone. 

"New tactics by the contact-lens makers might soon leave consumers seeing red. Major manufacturers have recently begun shifting to a new pricing policy that requires retailers and eye doctors to sell lenses at or above a manufacturer-dictated price. The effect? No more discounts for consumers."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/08/contact-lens-pricing-policy-shift-is-a-bad-prescription-for-consumers/index.htm

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 06:35:38 AM »
$42 per month for contacts is freagin ridiculous!!  Look into longer wearing contacts or use glasses.

For what you are spending, you would get a quick payback on a sharp pair of glasses (that fit you correctly).

DoNorth

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 07:02:43 AM »
My wife just got a pair of really nice eyeglasses (custom fit with coating for $25) at Zenni optical.  I heard about it on Clark Howard's audio book living large in lean times.  She was skeptical at first, but absolutely loves the glasses.  Just make sure you have your prescription numbers and pupilary distance (they include a measuring tool if you don't)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 07:22:51 AM »
Is there a reason you are wearing dailies for everyday wear?  Why not get the 2 week kind that you take out and rinse each night?

I wear dailies now, but I use less than a box per year- because I mostly wear glasses all the time. (I used to wear monthly contacts that didn't require me to take them out at all, those were fabulous, but after 7 years of use I got an infection and now I can't tolerate them anymore.)  I will say that I love my Walmart glasses. They actually fit me nicer than my last expensive pair and cost a quarter of the price.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 07:26:21 AM »
As one who wears contacts every day (and often has "bad" contact days), I feel your pain.  Unfortunately, I don't think prices are going down any time soon.  A big problem is the recent decision by contact manufacturers to stop allowing retailers to offer discounted pricing.  See article below.  I used to be able to get really good deals using 1800contacts or buying at Coscto.  Guess those days are gone. 

"New tactics by the contact-lens makers might soon leave consumers seeing red. Major manufacturers have recently begun shifting to a new pricing policy that requires retailers and eye doctors to sell lenses at or above a manufacturer-dictated price. The effect? No more discounts for consumers."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/08/contact-lens-pricing-policy-shift-is-a-bad-prescription-for-consumers/index.htm
Ohhh..that'd be why I couldn't find any deals on contacts this year (my last supply just ran out). $321.99 for a year. :(

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 07:50:52 AM »
We're talking about your eyesight here, and the hugely better quality of life that you get for being satisfied with your eyewear choice. I would not cheap out on your vision issues--just pay the money for whatever works best for you.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 07:54:30 AM »

Ugh I know! I was soooo bummed about this!

startingout, I believe you when you say you've tried everything. I used to have horrid problems with contacts/dry eyes... when I moved and switched eye doctors, she had me try a few different kinds and thankfully the 2nd kind of two-week contacts I tried worked for me, as long as I use Clear Care on them every few days and use eye drops, especially during allergy season. I was so relieved because the next step was going to be to try dailies, so I'm sorry that's all that works for you!

I agree with everyone else that you should look into getting your glasses adjusted and maybe getting a new pair. I still wear mine regularly (although it's nice to not have to wear them nearly every day now that I got my contacts figured out!), they were $300 which I thought was crazy expensive, but I've had them for four years and hopefully will have them for much longer. Even though I would totally understand not wanting to wear them ALL the time, even if you could switch to wearing them 2-3 days a week, you'd see a savings! Other than that, this is the kind of cost that I would just suck it up and deal with. Aside from looking for deals on my brand of contacts (which sadly is a thing of the past) and glasses, I'm not really willing to skimp on eye stuff... too much of a quality of life issue!!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 08:09:29 AM »

I've worn gas-permeables for decades. They're between the old hard lenses & the softs, & have a lot of moisture in them, so they don't need a break-in period like the hards did & stay very comfortable. I need the G-P version because mine are bi-focal (wonderful) & mask astigmatism in one eye. The beauty of these lenses is one purchase cost, period.

I second.  I have had a dry-eye issue since I was in my teens.  I finally switched from soft lenses to gas-perms sometime in my 20s.  Once I got over the break-in, they were much better with dryness.  Soft lenses are just little sponges.  They suck all the moisture out of your eye.  I had the same experiences with masking astigmatism (I hate the toric lenses!) and bi-focals.

I did finally give them up after about 25 years of wearing them.  My eyes got too dry to handle even gas perms.  Dryness causes my eyes to "snot up"... which means I'd have to clean my lenses about once an hour.

The final solution is LASIK surgery.

I'd worry about this with dry eyes.  (Actually, I'm not a fan of LASIK in general.)  LASIK tends to increase the dryness, though.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 08:12:36 AM »
Back when I used to wear contacts I'd get free ones from my optometrist--I wore them so infrequently that I never had to buy more.  Last year I invested in prescription sunglasses (thank you, HSA!) and I'm glad I did.

And LASIK is not the end-all-be-all.  I know three people who had it done and all of them have problems, mainly with night vision (halos around streetlights and headlights).  One flat out refuses to drive at night anymore because it's so bad. 

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 08:51:24 AM »
I completely understand your situation, having been there myself. I used to be able to wear cheaper contacts and then as I got older in my late 20s, my eyes changed and became really dry. I could only wear the most expensive contacts and even then I was having problems. I have some advice:

1) I visited an optometrist who specializes in dry eyes and she made a number of recommendations. Start taking fish oil capsules every day (2x). Drink lots of water. When you are staring at a computer screen, take lots of breaks because we naturally blink less frequently than out in real life. You can also get a prescription for Restasis which will increase your body's production of tears. You can learn to do eyelid massage in the shower to help clear out clogged tear ducts. Finally, I got punctal plugs in my lower lids to stop the tears my eyes do make from draining.

2) When all of that was not quite doing it for me, I finally pulled the trigger and got Lasik. My eyes are still a bit on the dry side but without the contacts sitting on top of my eyes drying out, I don't have that uncomfortable sensation anymore. Now that I have perfect vision and zero maintenance, I realize Lasik was a fabulous decision I should have done long ago. There is nothing ilke waking up in the middle of the night and being able to see. No fog on your glasses, no contacts to clean, no loss of peripherial vision from glasses. Yes it is expensive, but for me, the improvement in quality of life was completely worth it.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 08:58:44 AM »
Not everyone is a candidate for LASIK btw.  My optometrist told me I could do it (although not recommended), but I'd likely require glasses still afterwards because my eyes are so bad it's hard to do, and wouldn't be able to wear contacts anymore after LASIK.

I wear gas permeable hard contact lens too.  They're maybe $250-300 (minus insurance) every 2-3 years.  Heck of a lot cheaper.  Paying $2/a day is absolutely bat shit crazy, and this is coming from someone who hates to wear glasses.

Imustacheyouaquestion

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 09:05:58 AM »
Where are you buying the contacts from? A year's supply of monthlies for me is about $115.

My optometrist's office sells boxes for 2-3 times as much as the same lenses are available online. You just have to get your eye doctor to write you a contacts prescription that you can take with you (which they are often reluctant to do), and then price shop on sites like visiondirect.com or 1800contacts.com. Some offices are willing to price match the online offers.

kiblebuka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 11:10:41 AM »
I just had to get a new pair of glasses since I broke my old ones. I need special frames due to the thickness of the lens, so those cost $200+, but at least that's not every year.
Contacts, I used to wear them more often but am usually now too lazy to put them in in the morning. My eyes get really irritated after about 6 hours, and i typically have to take them out and clean them at lunch break. The cost last time I ordered (9/2013) was $230 for a half year supply, but I've worn them so little that I believe I still have a fresh pair left.

I'd get LASIK but not sure if it's possible with how bad my vision is.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 11:36:51 AM »
My optometrist price matches the online discount chains and also allows you to return unused lenses (sealed in their daily packages) if/when your scrip changes.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 02:41:54 PM »

I wear gas permeable hard contact lens too.  They're maybe $250-300 (minus insurance) every 2-3 years.  Heck of a lot cheaper.  Paying $2/a day is absolutely bat shit crazy, and this is coming from someone who hates to wear glasses.

Unless your eyes are changing or you don't look after them properly, gas permeables last a lot long than 2-3 years. I've had my current pair ????maybe 10 years or more: so long I can't remember. In fact prior to that the reason for replacing was losing a lens….I always keep a spare pair - my "spares" are even older.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 03:31:25 PM »

Unless your eyes are changing or you don't look after them properly, gas permeables last a lot long than 2-3 years. I've had my current pair ????maybe 10 years or more: so long I can't remember. In fact prior to that the reason for replacing was losing a lens….I always keep a spare pair - my "spares" are even older.

Mine always got "scratchy" after 2-3 years.   Docs always explained it to me as both lots of tiny micro scratches on the lenses and tiny not-so-round edges.  But I also might just be a wimp.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 08:47:18 PM »

Mine always got "scratchy" after 2-3 years.   Docs always explained it to me as both lots of tiny micro scratches on the lenses and tiny not-so-round edges.  But I also might just be a wimp.

Primarily it's because my vision would get worse and I'd need a new prescription.  (I had gas permeable actually to try to help my eyes hold their shape and stop the slide.)  But, I did also experience the scratchy/cloudy effect some too.

takeahike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2015, 09:50:14 PM »
My hubster is an optometrist, and people buying their glasses from us puts food on the table. We also employ 5 at over double the minumum wage. So, we see people walking with their prescriptions to buy online, and we hope that some people will choose to buy from us. We also see them coming in when it doesn't work out. It mostly works online when you have an uncomplicated prescription. If you are in your 20's or 30's and have single vision issues then you'll probably do just fine. I'm in progressives and require lots of personalized tweaking that I'd never be able to manage online.

I also had Lasik when I was 32. Guess what, I could see 20/20 for 2 years and then my eyes started changing.. as they do when you age. Lasik doesn't freeze your eyes in time. Your eyes can still change as you age. I also ended up with the worst case of dry eyes. I needed punctal plugs and constant eye drops just to manage it. I hate the halo effect that I have at night.. forever.  Most people I talk to love that they've had it. It was not a good decision for me, but I couldn't have known. And my husband is in the business! My stepson had it done and it's been wonderful for him, but he's in his early 20's and has many years to enjoy before his eyes start to age.

I wish I could have been a successful Lasik candidate, but I only got out of glasses for 2 years. Now I'm in progressives in my 40's. If you are prone to dry eyes I'd stay away from Lasik.. and your night vision might become more difficult while driving. The halo effect/glare when cars are coming at you at night is seriously annoying. Just do your homework.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:56:16 PM by takeahike »

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2015, 12:38:36 AM »
Another plug for Zenni.  I've been using them for a long time now, and they're wonderful.  I can't believe I used to blow $150+ on a pair of glasses.  The Zenni frames are $20, and last me 2 years.

Also, thanks for all of the LASIK stories.  A few weeks ago while traveling in Costa Rica, I lost my glasses in the ocean and couldn't see for 3 days.  I was giving LASIK some thought, but it sounds like there's still a fair bit of risk.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2015, 08:00:05 AM »
Another plug for Zenni.  I've been using them for a long time now, and they're wonderful.  I can't believe I used to blow $150+ on a pair of glasses.  The Zenni frames are $20, and last me 2 years.

Also, thanks for all of the LASIK stories.  A few weeks ago while traveling in Costa Rica, I lost my glasses in the ocean and couldn't see for 3 days.  I was giving LASIK some thought, but it sounds like there's still a fair bit of risk.

There's always risk to surgery.  I'm not opposed to surgery... but... I'm always very skeptical about optional surgeries.

I once read an ophthalmologist's expose on Lasik and it really turned me off.  She said the risks were severely downplayed.  The industry is driven by the Lasik manufacturers that come out with new multi-million dollar machines every few years.  There is such a push to always upgrade to the latest (or you won't get patients) that she thought patient care had seriously suffered.  She said the only way you could make money was with "cattle call" surgery -- where you process a patient every 10-15 minutes.

That said: I do know lots of people that have had it and love it.  But the risk/reward isn't for me.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2015, 12:22:44 PM »
My wife just got a pair of really nice eyeglasses (custom fit with coating for $25) at Zenni optical.  I heard about it on Clark Howard's audio book living large in lean times.  She was skeptical at first, but absolutely loves the glasses.  Just make sure you have your prescription numbers and pupilary distance (they include a measuring tool if you don't)

+1   I just need reading glasses, so I buy mine for $8 at most stores.  So $25 seems reasonable.  Mine have nice heavy frames and fit well.  If the kids step on them I don't care.   

Something contact wearers may not realize is that your eyes look weird to many people when your wearing contacts.   Sometimes it takes me awhile to realize your eyes look weird because you are wearing contacts rather than just weird eyes.  If it is a vanity thing please remember that.   I'm one of those guys that even thinks a pair of nice frames on a cute lady is kinda sexy. 

Shop your glasses just like you would other things.  Find a good company with good prices. 

Spudd

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2015, 01:09:58 PM »
Nobody's mentioned this solution yet. I mostly wear glasses, but when I do wear contacts I wear the daily kind. But at the end of the day, I rinse them off and store them in a lens case, and re-wear the next day. I can usually get 2-3 days out of a single pair before they rip or start to feel scratchy. This halves the cost.

startingout

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2015, 07:25:17 PM »

+1   I just need reading glasses, so I buy mine for $8 at most stores.  So $25 seems reasonable.  Mine have nice heavy frames and fit well.  If the kids step on them I don't care.   

Something contact wearers may not realize is that your eyes look weird to many people when your wearing contacts.   Sometimes it takes me awhile to realize your eyes look weird because you are wearing contacts rather than just weird eyes.  If it is a vanity thing please remember that.   I'm one of those guys that even thinks a pair of nice frames on a cute lady is kinda sexy. 

Shop your glasses just like you would other things.  Find a good company with good prices. 

How do contact lenses make eyes look weird if the clear ones are invisible? Interesting perspective.

I don't think I'll consider Lasik before I retire. I'm worried about my vision worsening again after Lasik (due to sitting in front of the computer at my desk job day after day), and then perhaps needing glasses all over again. Thanks for the warnings about Lasik worsening dry eyes. I'll probably just stick to glasses for the most part after retirement (which is still many years away).

I've tried shopping around for better pricing on my contacts, but they're the new silicone hydrogel type, and most places don't carry them.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 07:27:43 PM by startingout »

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2015, 03:54:23 PM »
Nobody's mentioned this solution yet. I mostly wear glasses, but when I do wear contacts I wear the daily kind. But at the end of the day, I rinse them off and store them in a lens case, and re-wear the next day. I can usually get 2-3 days out of a single pair before they rip or start to feel scratchy. This halves the cost.

+1  Glasses during the week, and daily contacts (no need for solution) when socializing and/or going out on the weekends.  I buy a box once a year via 1-800-CONTACTS. 

LucyBIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2015, 04:17:13 PM »
I am definitely not going to suggest that you "just switch to monthlies". That's ridiculous advice; they haven't worked for you in the past and I see no reason to doubt you on that. Contacts, glasses, and even brand of solution are all personal things--my optometrist suggested to me last week that I switch out my solution to a hydrogen peroxide version and...yeah, I haven't even taken the sample out of the box yet. I'll try it out, but if you need any kind of corrective lenses then you know how personal and varied this stuff is. If daily lenses are what works for you, you're probably stuck with them as long as you're wearing contacts.

I'd also suggest Zenni, I haven't used them but have a lot of friends who love them. I haven't worn my own glasses on a regular basis for several years because they slipped down my nose, and I just didn't want to shell out to replace them. And they're plastic, so while I did get them adjusted (several times), they always went back to the way they were and it became an exercise in futility.

Also, I think Costco has pretty reasonable prices on glasses. You don't have to be a member to use their optical (I paid $90 for an exam + contact and glasses fitting a few years ago), but you might have to be to buy glasses from them, I'm not sure. Target, Walmart, google around for other places in your area. My own doc didn't expect me to buy glasses from her office at all, she told me they weren't set up for retail and most of their patients didn't buy from her.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2017, 05:00:12 PM »
Try getting your glasses adjusted. Also keep in mind that maybe you don't have the right pair of glasses for you.

My husband is primarily a contacts wearer and hated glasses for years. His most recent pair of glasses that he got he really likes and wouldn't mind wearing them all the time. It took finding a pair of frames that felt comfortable on his face and looked good on him.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2017, 12:08:21 PM »
We're talking about your eyesight here, and the hugely better quality of life that you get for being satisfied with your eyewear choice. I would not cheap out on your vision issues--just pay the money for whatever works best for you.

I have to support this. As you can see from the comments there are many things that work for many people. It all depends on your eyes etc.  Amazingly I routinely wear BOTH contacts AND glasses at work because that's what works best for me on a computer.

I would encourage you to talk to your eye doctor about other options. I had a horrid time with contacts until I found the right ones **and the right cleaning solution** I now buy the super expensive fizzing cleaning stuff and I can *feel* the difference. I can wear contact about 5 hours longer if they are cleaned that way. So another option might be cheaper longer wear contacts cleaned well.  Now that I know that's what works I hunt for coupons on it.

I would focus on finding glasses or contacts you like and don't irritate you and then you can look for cheaper ones.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2017, 12:15:04 PM »
My hubster is an optometrist, and people buying their glasses from us puts food on the table. We also employ 5 at over double the minumum wage. So, we see people walking with their prescriptions to buy online, and we hope that some people will choose to buy from us. We also see them coming in when it doesn't work out. It mostly works online when you have an uncomplicated prescription. If you are in your 20's or 30's and have single vision issues then you'll probably do just fine. I'm in progressives and require lots of personalized tweaking that I'd never be able to manage online.

THIS. I do not buy from anyone who does not cut the lenses on site. My optical centers don't match left/right and I realized this the hard way when in college I went to a chain shop instead of my local guy who'd been making mine since age 8. I left the shop thinking i just needed to get used to the new perscription but 30min later was back. I almost had to pull over and walked back I was so nauseous. Employee insisted my perscription was correct. I'm sure it was but it was cut wrong! Thank god my old lenses were still siting on their desk. I no longer go anywhere that doens't cut on site and ALWAYS take the old lenses with me just in case.

startingout

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2020, 09:16:02 AM »
To close the loop on this, apparently, I never had glasses that fit correctly. I needed a wider frame than could be purchased in stores. I ordered one online (from fatheadz.com, haha), and now I wear glasses most of the time. I have saved a lot of money on vision correction.

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2020, 02:36:54 PM »
I use daily contacts as well... But I wear them for about a week at a time. Works beautifully, I love the disposable nature after struggling with monthly contacts for far too long. Been doing this for about 4-5 years now with no issues. I figure it's similar to yogurt, where the real expiration date is actually a month later than they say.

OK y'all, tear me apart. I'm ready for it. Tell me my eyes are going to be shredded apart or that I am doing it all wrong (including the yogurt!).

I had no idea that today would be the day I expose my deepest darkest secret to the MMM community...

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2020, 02:38:00 PM »

See, I'm not crazy. I'm not crazy!!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2020, 02:57:30 PM »

I just upgraded my lenses a few months ago, I went from a €75 lens to a €200 one (each ) and it was worth every penny.
I kept my €400 frame as it was only a year old and still looks great. In my experience more expensive frames are not only more comfortable and durable but also look much better. I'm sure some people will say cheap glasses are fine, just like I know people who say their €10 knockoff Converse shoes are the most comfortable shoes they have - but for both glasses and shoes I buy the highest quality I can afford.

Also, when I damaged my frame during lockdown, the optometrist came to my house to pick it up,  repaired it in his workshop, then delivered it within two hours. For free. Good service is also worth a lot.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2020, 03:11:30 PM »
Why are you pushing your glasses up your nose every 2 minutes? It sounds like your glasses are not correctly adjusted - go back to where you got them and make them adjust them properly!
I'm having a similar problem with my lastest pair. No way am I getting so close to someone until this pandemic abates. I can deal with the glasses for the time being. lol.

nalor511

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2020, 03:55:17 PM »
Zenni has no warranty, I now use EyeBuyDirect, nice quality and 1 year warranty

stashja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2020, 08:02:33 PM »
I have bought glasses from Zenni for years. Right now I love this pair that has blue light blocking. I work on a computer during the summer and have no eye strain. I buy 2 pair every once in a while, no more than once per year, costs about $60. They fit perfectly and are my one fashion statement item. The ones I don't want anymore I have donated to the Lions Club frame drive.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2020, 06:54:24 PM »
OP, I'll bet you and I wear the same kind of dailies! I've fought the same battles over the 30 years I've had corrective lenses. Monthlies, two-weeklies, weekly, dailies, soaking solutions, bubbling solutions. Dailies are expensive and my Mustachian heart hates it. BUT, it's my vision. I'll save money somewhere else to afford the perfect solution for me. (pun intended)

I absolutely hate wearing glasses. My last pair lasted over 10 years as I rarely wear them.  My vision is so poor that I can't see anything outside of the corrective lenses. So I trip over thresholds and knock things over that I'm not looking directly at. My current pair are $14.95 from goggles4u.com. I'm wearing them because I'm having ICL surgery in three weeks!! I'm not a candidate for LASIK.

Best of luck with whatever you decide! It's not as if you're throwing away money on tobacco or a gambling addiction. My $0.02 cents.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2020, 07:14:41 PM »
@startingsmall, if you’ve truly tried all other solutions for contacts and glasses, and the daily wear contacts are what work, then *poof* I absolve you.

If you haven’t given all other solutions a try, then go down that path, and see where you end up. The hard work of being part of the MMM community is finding your own values.

My glasses - which are the first thing on my face in the morning, and the last thing off at night, cause otherwise double vision, ouch - come free, with only 20 annual installments of selling my soul to Uncle Sam. Honestly, your contacts sound cheaper.. ;)

js82

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2020, 05:01:38 AM »
OP, I'll bet you and I wear the same kind of dailies! I've fought the same battles over the 30 years I've had corrective lenses. Monthlies, two-weeklies, weekly, dailies, soaking solutions, bubbling solutions. Dailies are expensive and my Mustachian heart hates it. BUT, it's my vision. I'll save money somewhere else to afford the perfect solution for me. (pun intended)

I absolutely hate wearing glasses. My last pair lasted over 10 years as I rarely wear them.  My vision is so poor that I can't see anything outside of the corrective lenses. So I trip over thresholds and knock things over that I'm not looking directly at. My current pair are $14.95 from goggles4u.com. I'm wearing them because I'm having ICL surgery in three weeks!! I'm not a candidate for LASIK.

Best of luck with whatever you decide! It's not as if you're throwing away money on tobacco or a gambling addiction. My $0.02 cents.

This is where I'm at as well.  Daily contacts are in the "not the cheapest option, but definitely worth it" category for me.

To the OP: at the heart of the Mustachian philosophy is not being as cheap as possible at everything - it's thoughtfulness about your spending habits, and making sure you're only spending on things that are worth it *for you*.  In another sub-board on these forums there are a couple threads about all the things that aren't necessarily cheap, but are worth it to the individual in question - very much in the same spirit as this discussion.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!