Author Topic: Exercise for New Dad  (Read 2256 times)

epower

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Exercise for New Dad
« on: March 18, 2017, 09:58:54 PM »
My wife and I are having our first baby shortly and I'm trying to get advice from parents regarding exercise pre and post children.

I go to the gym for weights 2-3x per week and cycle to work 2-3x per week. I then do a longer bike ride on a Sunday morning or hike with friends.

However, I could push the pram with my wife as a substitute on the weekends but feel going to the gym 2-3x mornings a week and leaving my sleep deprived wife to it a bit unfair. I'll most likely have less energy and time to boot.

What should I do? I enjoy keeping strong and injury free, I don't exercise for personal bests or to do events, etc.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
Re: Exercise for New Dad
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 10:20:42 PM »
bikini body mommy!

tawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 10:52:26 PM »
bikini body mommy!
This, or Kayla Itsines! Seriously, these workouts are like Crossfit metcons, just without any equipment. One I like in particular is the NYT 7 minute workout timer, http://www.7minuteworkouttimer.com, because no equipment is required, and my baby enjoys being held for some of the exercises, or watching me do the others.

Body weight strength equipment like a pull-up bar and rings are fairly cheap and easy to install at home. I don't have a solution for lower body, e.g., squatting and deadlifting.

I ditched the long weekend bike rides and hikes and replaced with carrying the baby (in a carrier) for 1--2 of his naps each day at the weekend, and combine this with errands so I get some good miles in and can be carrying a lot of weight. Next step is having him nap in a bicycle trailer. This also gives Mom a chance to catch up on sleep without any disturbances.

The key is efficiency, otherwise it just won't happen.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 03:33:33 PM »
After we had kids we set up a home gym using used equipment and some nice floor mats we bought.  It was easy to find used equipment and it saves us time going back and forth to a health club.  I also did the NY Times 7 minute workout a lot.  When the kids got a little older they did it with me.  Fun!

It's easy to take an infant or toddler along on a hike -- we started with the front-mounted BabyBjorn, and then went to a Kelty kid backpack when our kids were sturdy enough.   They're pricey new, but I bet you could find a used one of those fairly easily.  I just did a quick search on Craigslist and in our small city there are two of them for sale. 

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 03:44:26 PM »
Does your gym have childcare? Once baby is old enough for that (ranges from 6 weeks to a year as far as what different places will accept), taking baby to the gym with you could be an option and give Mommy some highly desirable alone time.

Congrats on new baby-to-be!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 06:34:26 PM »
Fitness blender has good exercise videos on YouTube. However my kids age -0 and 13 co side this prime opportunity to mock me while I try to exercise in the living room. With an infant this will clearly be less of an issue.

For years my primary exercise was pushing the kids around in a jog stroller - I'd make a several mile loop to include a stop at the park.

Gyms with childcare are also very nice. When I had one and wasn't working I'd go everyday so that the kids were entertained, even if all I did was sit in the team room and take a shower.

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 06:50:59 PM »
I was stuck at home with a baby with zero option to leave the house b/c my husband traveled for work, so my way of exercising was Youtube-ing workout classes. I like Zumba, so I found a few full-length Zumba classes that instructors had filmed and rotated between them. Definitely not the same as going to a class, but I was able to meet my weight-loss goal in a few months. Going on walks just wasn't enough for me to lose weight.

There are a ton of enterprising people on Youtube who post videos of their classes, so with a little searching, you can probably find whatever you're into.

bikini body mommy!

I tried Bikini Body Mommy, and while it was definitely a good workout, I found I couldn't stick with it for whatever reason. I guess I just like the "class" format better, even if I'm just watching a video of other people participating in a class :)