Author Topic: Excuse me, sir... I mustache you a question.  (Read 7554 times)

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
Excuse me, sir... I mustache you a question.
« on: August 18, 2016, 07:22:21 PM »
Mazda 5? Thoughts?

Sorry/not sorry for the click bait. Trying to get some feedback. Thanks!

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
Re: Excuse me, sir... I mustache you a question.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 09:50:26 PM »
I have a Mazda 3 and I love it.  I haven't had an serious issues with it after almost 7 years of daily use.

Can't comment on the specifics of the 5.

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 10:08:58 PM »
I have a Mazda 3 and I love it.  I haven't had an serious issues with it after almost 7 years of daily use.

Can't comment on the specifics of the 5.
What engine does it have?

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 10:11:51 PM »
I have a 2012 Mazda 6, purchased in December 2011, and it's still practically new with no problems experienced whatsoever.  I love it, but can't comment specifically on any other model.  The only downside in my mind is that the gas mileage has never been great, but since I don't drive that far, it's not a big deal to me.

ETA:  Engine is 170-hp, 2.5L DOHC, 16-valve inline 4-cylinder.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 10:13:41 PM by LeRainDrop »

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 02:27:54 AM »
I have a 2004 Mazda 6 wagon with 380,000kms on the clock. In surprisingly good condition for the distance travelled, comfortable seats, lots of room, and fun to drive.

PS there is no Mazda 5. Are you looking at the CX-5 or MX-5? New or used?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 03:14:12 AM »
I have a 2004 Mazda 6 wagon with 380,000kms on the clock. In surprisingly good condition for the distance travelled, comfortable seats, lots of room, and fun to drive.

I'm raising my eyebrows... 380,000 is basically the distance to the moon.... that's a lot of driving!!! :D

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 03:22:15 AM »

There was a Mazda 5 in the US, it's a small minivan (microvan?). It was discontinued one or two years ago but they can still be had used.

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 03:55:55 AM »

Wow. Sounds like these a solid cars.

BTW, as mentioned below, Mazda5 is a US vehicle. Now a Mazda6 wagon sounds sexy. Too bad the US has some sort of aversion to sport wagons.

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 08:08:14 AM »

Wow. Sounds like these a solid cars.

BTW, as mentioned below, Mazda5 is a US vehicle. Now a Mazda6 wagon sounds sexy. Too bad the US has some sort of aversion to sport wagons.

Not many people will call a wagon sexy... but I agree!

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 09:10:11 AM »
I love my 6 year old Mazda 3. It's been across the country 3 times and hasn't needed anything other than routine maintenance so far. Google says it has a 167 hp 2.5 L 4-cyl engine. The gas mileage is okay, but our Accord got better gas mileage even though it was a little bigger.

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 09:40:55 AM »
I can't comment on the durability, but I really like the appearance of the Mazda 3 hatchback. It looks much more expensive than it is.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 09:44:42 AM »
The Mazda 5 is known as the Premacy (and possibly other names) in other countries. Because it's a "mini-minivan", you can get it for a good price, but get all the goodness that they put in the other Mazdas that sell for more. It's efficient and (relatively) spacious, and can be had with a manual. Newer ones even came with a 6-speed manual.

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 04:23:09 PM »
I rented a Mazda 5 for a month and have a love/hate relationship with it. Love the rear space with all the seats folded down (can even easily sleep in the back and I'm 5'10"), love the 2 sliding doors and lift back. Very easy access and plenty of room to carry stuff.

What I hate is the front seat compartment. Way too small for long legged me even with seat all the way back and no way to extend legs to side. It was literally torture for me to drive very long. The other thing I hated was the gas mileage - around 20 mpg around town but better on highway. Not much different than a larger mini van. Also that I couldnt take the rear seats out like in other vans for more carrying capacity.

Otherwise it drove nice and back area was fairly roomy for a small car (might be too small for a bunch of kids and gear though.

You might look at renting one to try it out first. I rented thru Hertz for $400/month (such a deal!) and I see they are now selling off their 2014 and 2015 (last year they made Mazda 5s) at around $11K to $14k with fairly low mileage. I've though of getting one but personally, I'd rather have a larger van for about the same price and fuel mileage.
This is great insight, Spartana.

I test drove a 2012 model and, despite be 6', I seemed to fit well. Did not feel cramped. Maybe my legs are shorter? The fuel efficiency is a bummer. Almost a deal breaker for me. I'm big on mileage. It will be hard because my current car is a VW Sportwagen TDI that gets 40+. Such a shame it turns out to be a polluting pile, or else I would have kept it.

Oh well... VW is buying it back for a lot more money than it is worth!

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 04:42:03 PM »
If I were getting a Mazda, I'd make sure to get one with Skyactiv Technology, which came out in 2012 in some of their Mazda 3's and was integrated into more models over the next couple years

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 07:18:13 PM »
Thanks, Spartana! I think I'll stick with the 5. Those are a little different than what we are looking for. The mileage is not a killer, just wish they made it in a diesel. ;)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2016, 09:59:52 AM »
I rented a Mazda 5 for a month and have a love/hate relationship with it. Love the rear space with all the seats folded down (can even easily sleep in the back and I'm 5'10"), love the 2 sliding doors and lift back. Very easy access and plenty of room to carry stuff.

What I hate is the front seat compartment. Way too small for long legged me even with seat all the way back and no way to extend legs to side. It was literally torture for me to drive very long. The other thing I hated was the gas mileage - around 20 mpg around town but better on highway. Not much different than a larger mini van. Also that I couldnt take the rear seats out like in other vans for more carrying capacity.

Otherwise it drove nice and back area was fairly roomy for a small car (might be too small for a bunch of kids and gear though.

You might look at renting one to try it out first. I rented thru Hertz for $400/month (such a deal!) and I see they are now selling off their 2014 and 2015 (last year they made Mazda 5s) at around $11K to $14k with fairly low mileage. I've though of getting one but personally, I'd rather have a larger van for about the same price and fuel mileage.

Interesting!   I drive a Mazda3, and my husband uses it as well.  Normally we are looking at ford and other makers that have extra head / leg room, we just don't fit into many cars, but the Mazda3 is just fine.

To OP -- very, very reliable car.  Mine is a 2006.

SunshineAZ

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2016, 10:39:48 AM »
I always recommend Mazdas, all of my Miatas (I've owned 3) were very reliable.  I really miss driving one and I would still be driving one if it wasn't so impractical for where I live now due to the poorly maintained dirt roads in my area. 

DogChaseLane

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 09:28:10 AM »
Another plug for getting a newer model with sky-active technology.  We have a Mazda3 hatchback and average 35-36 miles per gallon.  I only wish we'd gotten leather seats because the fabric seats in ours are crazy dog hair magnets!

Scotland2016

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 12:12:38 PM »
We just bought a 2014 Mazda 5 and love it. It's easy to get out of, easy to park, more spacious than a car but not wasteful like some larger vans/SUVs (for our family size that is), and it was super affordable. I'm glad we discovered it in time to get a newer used model.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2016, 02:29:11 PM »
My sister loves hers. She had two older kids when her third child was born--it would not be great for a lot of tiny kids because there is not enough room for a double stroller. As a kid hauler, it's great. She's had hers a few years.

She was driving a full-size rental minivan on vacation and definitely liked it better... but not twice as much!

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2016, 03:24:10 PM »
My sister has a new Mazda 6. She likes it, except she say's it's slower than a 1970's school bus. I guess it would depend on your needed level of pep.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 03:28:31 PM by dcamnc »

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2016, 04:06:31 PM »
I have (and love) a Mazda5.

I tend to get around 25 mpg on an average tank. My only real complaint is that legroom is tight when using all three rows... but we don't use the 3rd row very often so it isn't a big issue for us. I love having all of the space, while also having a compact car that's easy to drive/park/etc.

Mine also has a very-slightly-annoying back door rattle at certain speeds, but I think that's due to getting rear-ended and not due to the car itself. Let me know if you have any other questions!

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 01:51:25 PM »
OP you might also want to check out some of the small to mid sized 4 cylinder SUVs. Some, like the Dodge Journey, have 3 rows of seats that all fold down and are much larger (including front and back seating areas) but get around the same mpg. Jeep Patriots are larger also than the Mazda 5 but get better mpg. Some others too for around the same price.
I'll check them out. Thanks!

but since you can't remove the rear seats  in the Mazda 5 for extra cargo space like you can on mini vans
The one we test drove, you could fold the third row down flat, making a continuous flat cargo area in the back. That would be the way we use the car 99% of the time.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 05:52:27 PM by PFHC »

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 06:02:57 PM »
I think all years of the Mazda 5 allow for both back rows of seats to Kay flat. Same with the Dodge Journey - which has front seats that fold flat too. The Journey is bigger but both have a lot of cargo space plus seating (6 for Mazda 5 and 7 for Journey with a bit larger Cargo area behind seats
I'm all for the Mazda5 both for price and reviews.

The Journey, on the other hand, struggles for reviews.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!